1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 May '13 23:00
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Good game! Good game! 🙂 thanks!

see its not so easy, my computer is not crap, so if it looses...

I think with hindsite I should have played 2 Ne5 to stop you playing e5. And Nc3 gave you free development. Good game though, thanks!!
    I only played ...e5 because that was the line given in the thread. I would much rather have that pawn on e6 to shut down the Bc4.
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 May '13 23:05
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I only played ...e5 because that was the line given in the thread. I would much rather have that pawn on e6 to shut down the Bc4.
    if you knew white planned to take f7 on move 3 no matter what, and will play 2 ne5 if you let him, what would be your best counter?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 May '13 04:16
    if you knew white planned to take f7 on move 3 no matter what, and will play 2 ne5 if you let him, what would be your best counter?
    I would play my usual Pirc setup - 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ne5 d6. But it is apparent I need practice defending the position after the sac on f7.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    21 May '13 04:21
    I would play my usual Pirc setup - 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ne5 d6. But it is apparent I need practice defending the position after the sac on f7.
    cool thanks - a problem i have with this line is the computer, the reti in general has lots of replies - i'm trying to find blacks best to study it - the line i posted first with Nf6 and e5 seems to be the computers favourite, but it has about 5 responses...
  5. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    21 May '13 04:43
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 May '13 10:02
    cool thanks - a problem i have with this line is the computer, the reti in general has lots of replies - i'm trying to find blacks best to study it - the line i posted first with Nf6 and e5 seems to be the computers favourite, but it has about 5 responses...
    The line I find most difficult in a proper Reti is 1. Nf3 d5 2. c4 d4. 1. Nf3 d5 2. Ng5 would likely still get 2. ... e5 as a response then 3. Nxf7 Kxf7 doesn't look so hot for white. Assuming appearances are deceptive and you do actually have something here, I'd likely play 2. ... f6 rather than e5. Try beating your computer from that position.
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    21 May '13 12:43
    Originally posted by Kepler
    The line I find most difficult in a proper Reti is 1. Nf3 d5 2. c4 d4. 1. Nf3 d5 2. Ng5 would likely still get 2. ... e5 as a response then 3. Nxf7 Kxf7 doesn't look so hot for white. Assuming appearances are deceptive and you do actually have something here, I'd likely play 2. ... f6 rather than e5. Try beating your computer from that position.
    Thanks! it could counter with f6 but thats quite a weakness in its self...
  8. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 May '13 21:57
    Thanks! it could counter with f6 but thats quite a weakness in its self...
    A weakness yes, but so far all you have is a knight on g5 looking rather misplaced. The sacrifice now gains you nothing, not even a pawn and black already has a pawn on d5, soon to be joined by another on e5. I don't think I'd like to be white!
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 May '13 04:061 edit
    A weakness yes, but so far all you have is a knight on g5 looking rather misplaced. The sacrifice now gains you nothing, not even a pawn and black already has a pawn on d5, soon to be joined by another on e5. I don't think I'd like to be white!
    f6 is a counter - but it might transpose into the damiano, still good for white ... The computer is not being obedient and loosing! 1...c6, 2...d6 is a bad defence but other lines its doing ok. My £10 one has lost though! here's the game. Shows white can sac e4 too and get black into trouble;

8.b3 threatens quite a lot, prepares for Bc4...

I still like this line, will play another game in it if anyone wants one - I think its a bit like the muzio gambit, maybe thats better but both are a big attack on the king.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 May '13 04:24
    But I want white to give me his Knight. If I play ...f6, he's not going to.
  11. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    22 May '13 06:45
    f6 is a counter - but it might transpose into the damiano, still good for white ... The computer is not being obedient and loosing! 1...c6, 2...d6 is a bad defence but other lines its doing ok. My £10 one has lost though! here's the game. Shows white can sac e4 too and get black into trouble;

[pgn]1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ne5 d6 3.Nxf7 Kxf7 4.e4 Nxe4 5.Qh5+ Ke6 6.Nc3 ...[text shortened]... hink its a bit like the muzio gambit, maybe thats better but both are a big attack on the king.
    It's not going to be a Damiano if black doesn't let it.
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    22 May '13 06:48
    But I want white to give me his Knight. If I play ...f6, he's not going to.
    True, but the gift does seem to be tipped with a little bit of poison. And e4chris wanted to know the soundest defence to the Reti. I reckon that's 1. ... d5. After that, if anyone is daft enough to play Ng5 I might well play f6 because I can see he is attempting some silly sacrifice. I'd be willing to bet my opponent hadn't thought about what to do if I declined the gambit!
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 May '13 00:191 edit
    True, but the gift does seem to be tipped with a little bit of poison. And e4chris wanted to know the soundest defence to the Reti. I reckon that's 1. ... d5. After that, if anyone is daft enough to play Ng5 I might well play f6 because I can see he is attempting some silly sacrifice. I'd be willing to bet my opponent hadn't thought about what to do if I declined the gambit!
    reti; 1...nf6 50% 1...d5 25% approx says chessgames... I'm playing against nf6 alot with ne5 which is logically followed by d6...

neither 2 ne5 or ng5 is on chessgames at all . but 2 ng1 (moving it back) is!
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 May '13 04:11
    There is no more poison than any other double-edged position. If you fear speculative sacrifices on move 3, it's time to pick another hobby.
  15. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    23 May '13 10:31
    There is no more poison than any other double-edged position. If you fear speculative sacrifices on move 3, it's time to pick another hobby.
    I don't fear it but I'd rather make my opponent think rather than just playing his prepared line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree