1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 22:403 edits
    Originally posted by pootstick
    hmm, well it's better than walking into the forced win.. and doesn't a4 refute Ra5 much better
    Oh yeah, a4 is better, but after Nc6 it's still -2.5, so it's pretty well lost for white.

Yeah, a4 is white's best try - but -2.5 isn't much fun for white. Although I'm now finding it a little strange that Fritz didn't give Kb2 even "?".

Not beaten yet, but it's really a matter of time.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 22:45
    On move 3 you state "not a strong move, white should take the pawn" - I agree with the first part. It's almost always bad to play f3-f3 (although there are exceptions - eg. 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. f3). On my database both 3. e5 and 3. d4 score better for white than 2. exd5. So I think that that comment could be ammended. All other moves seem to be pants.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 22:47
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    On move 3 you state "not a strong move, white should take the pawn" - I agree with the first part. It's almost always bad to play f3-f3 (although there are exceptions - eg. 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. f3). On my database both 3. e5 and 3. d4 score better for white than 2. exd5. So I think that that comment could be ammended. All other moves seem to be pants.
    Yeah, good point, I didn't consider 3.d4 or 3.e5 very much - I don't recall ever having them played against me actually. I was just giving a move that would be a good option for white, I assumed (incorrectly) that it was best.
  4. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 22:51
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Oh yeah, a4 is better, but after Nc6 it's still -2.5, so it's pretty well lost for white.

Yeah, a4 is white's best try - but -2.5 isn't much fun for white. Although I'm now finding it a little strange that Fritz didn't give Kb2 even "?".

Not beaten yet, but it's really a matter of time.
    huh. perhaps fritz saw it as already won ('m more short sighted than him) anyway, apart from that and white's curiously wanderin king i think he held up ok... momentum was gained by black from the opening and pushed a gradual ascendancy
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 22:54
    Originally posted by pootstick
    huh. perhaps fritz saw it as already won ('m more short sighted than him) anyway, apart from that and white's curiously wanderin king i think he held up ok... momentum was gained by black from the opening and pushed a gradual ascendancy
    I had Fritz run through some lines, the first try ended up at only -1.5 after some 7-10 moves, the second try improved a lot on blacks play and got to nearly -4. In any case that move seems much better than the text move, making me think that Fritz should have given it at least "?".
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 14:15
    21. Ra1 (not Rb1 allowing Nb4) Ra5 Kb2 Nb4 Qd1

scores...

Crafty, Depth 14, 327.378M nodes = -1.97
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 14:22
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    What are you calling the blunder in this game? I gained a small advantage and it gradually grew as the game continued, I had Fritz annotate it and neither side had any "??" moves - which is what should rightfully be called a blunder.
    I somewhat doubt fritz's "lets put question marks here" algorithim is as advanced as those algorithims telling it how to play chess....

"blunder" isn't a mechanical concept but a human one.

QED:- Imagine a position where the black Queen is en prise, but its caputure allows a cunning checkmate"

its a blunder to take the queen yes?

now suppose the same position, but this time, you are 100% certain your oppenant hasn't spotted the mate

its capturing the queen still a blunder?

if we define a "blunder" objectively then the awnser is still yes, but if we define a blunder subjectivly (i.e the position in relation to the players) then surely, the only blunder is not to take the queen?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree