Analysis Board Use

Analysis Board Use

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GGG

Moves
02 Nov 10

Is the board to be used as after game use only or is there some grey areas where it can be used? For example, I haven't seen a game for a few days and I need to catch back up on what took place.

Knife Wielder

In the shadows...

Moves
02 Nov 10

You can use it whenever you like, during or after a game. You aren't getting any outside advice from the board, so it's legal. Most people on here would recommend using a real board and just picturing it in your head instead of moving the pieces around. I admit I use the analyze board quite often...
P

GGG

Moves
02 Nov 10
1 edit

Thanks. The reason I brought up the topic is a question answered on Natalya Pogonina's blog.

Q2: I don't think that chess pros stare at diagrams in books while solving tactics. Do you set up the position on the board or on your computer? May one move pieces when solving it?
A2: Well, I often do *stare* at diagrams, i.e. when reading my favorite magazines or travelling. At home I prefer to solve tactics using chess software or Chess.com's Tactics Trainer. Maybe an even better way would be to set up the positions on the board, but I'm too lazy to do that. The second answer is a strict "no". You should never move the pieces or peek into the answers. In a real game you don't have any tips or opportunities to start moving the pieces. Neither should you allow yourself to practice that during your training.

She is probably correct that it wouldn't improve your OTB chess. The other problem for good players I guess is it's use may get you a closer match to an engine, especially, if using it to "peek" ahead as she says. This could become a disadvantage.

Knife Wielder

In the shadows...

Moves
02 Nov 10

I don't think many of us have to worry about matching up with a computer too closely. This is correspondence chess, though, so brainstorming ideas, moving pieces around, throwing the board accross the room, etc, are all part of it. If your goal is OTB chess, well, don't move the pieces. If it's CC, I think it's okay to be a little more lenient there. Just my opinion, though.

GGG

Moves
02 Nov 10

I remember when Kramnik won the World Championship. He was accused of cheating while in the toilet because Topalov's manager said his moves were matching fritz. Maybe he didn't let fritz run for long enough but if these top players were given an anlysis board to play around with maybe they would match an engine in their style of play. A good player may match Kramnik's level and be doomed as a cheat.

I don't actually play much OTB chess, I just think the analysis board changes the dynamics of chess.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
02 Nov 10

Originally posted by Go Go Go
I remember when Kramnik won the World Championship. He was accused of cheating while in the toilet because Topalov's manager said his moves were matching fritz. Maybe he didn't let fritz run for long enough but if these top players were given an anlysis board to play around with maybe they would match an engine in their style of play. A good player may matc ...[text shortened]... actually play much OTB chess, I just think the analysis board changes the dynamics of chess.
The analysis board does change the dynamics of chess. Using the analysis board you are playing more in the style of correspondence chess, doing it entirely in your head is more in the spirit of OTB chess. Depends which variety you would like to be better at I guess.

E3

Moves
02 Nov 10

Originally posted by Go Go Go
.... I haven't seen a game for a few days and I need to catch back up on what took place.
To answer this part of your question; bring up the game you want to look at, then in the blue line above the board, click on "Game History". This will bring up a similar board and also the score of the game so far. You can use the board to analyse possible continuations by clicking on the men in the usual way and moving them as you wish. But be a bit careful, it will accept any illegal move you might enter accidently.
In fact I usually use this rather than the actual analyse board.

G

Lagos

Moves
02 Nov 10

Originally posted by Essex 3
In fact I usually use this rather than the actual analyse board.
But there is no difference, is there?

s

Moves
08 Nov 10

Originally posted by Goshen
But there is no difference, is there?
there's a slight difference : no more access to the useful "previous/next position" buttons. Hence i prefer the analysis board.