1. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 13:273 edits
    Thanks for all your remarks!

about Sveshnikov opening, there are effectively two main possibilities: Bxf6 and Nd5. Nd5 is much more quiet, though very interesting also!
    Bxf6 leads to messy, highly unclear situations (as the one above)

if you don't like the sveshnikov, White can also go for the "anti-sveshnikov variation". it's pretty tricky for black when you don't know it, pretty drawish when you do.
    after black plays e5 (signaling the sveshnikov) white should play Nb5 (everything normal) and then, after d6 (normal), white can go for c3 or c4. preparing Qa5 with threats on the king, discovery checks, and small space for black. this is tricky, so black has to be careful, but is ok.

about your remarks, Yuga, you're pretty right.in fritz database, 15. ... Ne7 is the first move out of book.
    actually I just missed 17. ... a5, cause I just didn't think of the Knight come back. But it's probably the best move!
    Rad8 is pretty much a wasted move (fritz confirms); but how can you figure that just like this? it does not seem so obvious to me at first sight... the rook covers the backward pawn, and might help d5 in the future, no? so I would be interested to have your way to think.

and your remark on f3 is pretty much true! but how can you get a grasp of this: situation seems so fragile! isn't hard to be sure there is not something for one the players!

actually, I felt like I got lost in some kind of other dimension chess, where Kings are naked but game is slow and drawish...

And yes, for the previous fen, the answer is Kh8!
    this can be discussed, but this choice is confirmed by Fritz 30 sec (I know fritz is not god, so please don't bother me with this).

I considered many lines including f3, exchanges in the center, with anything clear and convincing.
    I was pretty happy to find it. it is a good waiting move... nothing is clear, so you just reinforce quietly your position: secure your king, leaving space on the g file, that's it! But I rather wanted to share the position itself, which I found pretty funny. (just tell me if you think I am just the ignorant victim of some delirium tremens)
    maybe that R sacrifice on f3 is another solution... pretty idea at least. (I don't have the courage to check it right now... especially without FENs 😉 sorry!)

to give you another example of the absurdity of the situation, I just go further in the game, two moves before I blunder (fritz considers this situation is perfectly even):
    I played Qh4 check, my idea was to keep the white king in the center, but fritz doesn’t like it.
    just for fun, try to guess what's fritz best move... you might get a better idea of what's crazy with this position.
    (and I guess it’s precisely in that kind of situation that fritz is not so helpful&hellip😉

Black to play.

2. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 13:352 edits
    and ok, I commit myself to analyze people who will ask for it. Just lay on the couch, will you?
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 17:02
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    After 1...f3 2.Bxf3 Rxf3 3.Qxf3? best is 3...e4 because after 3...Rf8?? 4.h4! And white will just have the exchange and pawn while black has no compensation 3...e4 however is an elementary discovered attack. So 3.gxf3 Qg2 4.Rf1 Bh3 5.Ne3 Qxh2 6.Qd5+ Kh8 what does black do now?(this is an honest question by the way not a snide remark)

I say the best is ...[text shortened]... to a safer square and opening up the g8 square for the rook and I think black will do well here.
    I knew I was missing something simple...

as to afterk-h8. He does win the exchange on f1. As far as the further plan maybe r-f5,g5 and g1 with the knight pinned after recapturing on f1 or even r-g2 with pressure(once again probably seriously flawed plan. But, the exchange is won)
  4. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 17:15
    Originally posted by Macpo
    In Najdorf structures at least, usually d8 is not a good square for the rook, I've played through lots of Najdorf games, not too often the rook belongs on d8 in positions with similar structure to yours.

I thought Rad8 mistaken as white can maintain a piece on d5 which can't be kicked after Nb4, the rook is reduced to a more passive role.

Regarding the later position, move 26, the position is closed, not clear to me how either side can open files to advantage, both players have time to prepare against the opening of the position - it's not a position I would stress over.

Regarding your query, how I evaluate, square control and piece activity is important to me, especially when pawn structure is not in my favor. I've played through many GM games, especially recently, specific to my lines of interest, it's a good way to get familiar with the middlegame plans, because then you know what you need to do, and you are less likely to be taken by surprise. Just playing through GM games in general increases tactical strength anyway.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 18:16
    After 1...f3 2.Bxf3 Rxf3 3.Qxf3? best is 3...e4 because after 3...Rf8?? 4.h4! And white will just have the exchange and pawn while black has no compensation 3...e4 however is an elementary discovered attack. So 3.gxf3 Qg2 4.Rf1 Bh3 5.Ne3 Qxh2 6.Qd5+ Kh8 what does black do now?(this is an honest question by the way not a snide remark)

I say the best is ...[text shortened]... to a safer square and opening up the g8 square for the rook and I think black will do well here.
    sigh - more mechanical exchanges without recourse to the aesthetic beauty of the position - i despair!
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 21:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sigh - more mechanical exchanges without recourse to the aesthetic beauty of the position - i despair!
    Maybe your aesthetic eye just isn't tuned to the right station.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 04:39
    I still say ...Bg4 is the best in that position. ...Kh8 can be delayed.
  8. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 04:46
    I still say ...Bg4 is the best in that position. ...Kh8 can be delayed.
    and if q-b3? White is threatening to win the a or d pawn among other things(the discovered check being one of them)
  9. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 05:06
    Originally posted by Macpo
    Thanks for all your remarks!

about Sveshnikov opening, there are effectively two main possibilities: Bxf6 and Nd5. Nd5 is much more quiet, though very interesting also!
    Bxf6 leads to messy, highly unclear situations (as the one above)

if you don't like the sveshnikov, White can also go for the "anti-sveshnikov variation". it's pretty tricky for black ...[text shortened]... pful&hellip😉

Black to play.

[fen]7k/rr4bp/3p4/1P1Np2q/p1P1Qp2/R4P2/5KPP/7R[/fen]
    I love messy or unclear or whatever way you want to put it....

It means the better player is going to win. But, more importantly it means it is fun
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 05:08
    Originally posted by erikido
    and if q-b3? White is threatening to win the a or d pawn among other things(the discovered check being one of them)
    I am not at a board at the moment. Give me a few minutes.
  11. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 05:09
    I am not at a board at the moment. Give me a few minutes.
    I wish I could go to a board 🙁
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 05:31
    Well for starters the queen doesn't threaten the a or d pawn from b3. As for the discovered check you can now play ...Kh8 then ...Qh5 putting a ton of pressure on the f3 square which is part of the plan.... To get white to play f3 so that s/he weakens the g3 and g2 squares and puts a pawn on a white square which is not good since white wants those squares open.

...Bg4 also prevents 0-0-0 and 0-0(assuming those were still available; I didn't look through the actual game.)
  13. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 05:37
    after k-h8...q-a3(attacking the a and d pawns) . The question would be whether white can in fact castle 0-0-0 and or does blacks attack on f3 get in before white can consolidate. Or white MIGHT(BIG MIGHT) even be able to castle kingside after q-h5(I am not analyzing deeply just throwing ideas out there)
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 05:46
    after k-h8...q-a3(attacking the a and d pawns) . The question would be whether white can in fact castle 0-0-0 and or does blacks attack on f3 get in before white can consolidate. Or white MIGHT(BIG MIGHT) even be able to castle kingside after q-h5(I am not analyzing deeply just throwing ideas out there)
    Kingside castling is no feasible since that is where black is attacking with the open g file and the f pawn storming down to to open the f file it would just look ugly for white. Queenside is impossible because the bishop attacks the d1 square. I would be more scared of a4 than
    Qa3 because I don't mind the queen grabbing pawns while I storm his king.
  15. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 06:02
    just because black is attacking on one side of the board does not necessarily mean it will be succesful. The knight and bishop are in prime positions to defend the king(not that it necessarily will hold. But, without investigating I wouldn't immediately dismiss it. This is just the kind of thing that a comp would be good to go to for. Many times it just castles right into a attack when I am wondering what the hell it is doing. Then down the line I see the light.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree