Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 16 Nov '13 14:47
    White: Anand
    Black: Carlsen
  2. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    16 Nov '13 15:01
    Anand gutted and Carlsen with pawn play proving his superior endgames once again. Carlsen now almost certainly new world champion ?
  3. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    16 Nov '13 15:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    Anand gutted and Carlsen with pawn play proving his superior endgames once again. Carlsen now almost certainly new world champion ?
    As it looked to me, relying heavily on the live commentary, Carlsen not only managed to surprise Annand but als the commentators, who had access to an anlysis board...
    He certainly is the favourite for now, as Annand will have to win twice now, just to keep his chances.
  4. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    16 Nov '13 15:07
    Ooops - sorry... same time..
  5. 16 Nov '13 15:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Ooops - sorry... same time..
    did Vishy loose this, i turned it off because i assumed it was going to be a draw, unbelievable.
  6. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    16 Nov '13 15:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    did Vishy loose this, i turned it off because i assumed it was going to be a draw, unbelievable.
    He made a right mess.. it was akin to blunder after blunder, but not really blunders - he seemed to lose the plot. But to be honest, Carlsen played a really crafty king move. It's worth watching the last 15 mins...

    Edit: Last 35 minutes lol..

    http://chennai2013.fide.com/anand-carlsen-video-with-commentary/
  7. 16 Nov '13 15:15
    In any ending involving Carlsen you have to add a correction factor to Houdini's assessment of the position - add 1 to Carlsen's score!
  8. 16 Nov '13 15:28
    Fat lady now warming up her tonsils I reckon . . . . . .
  9. 16 Nov '13 15:35
    Incredible ending. Smashing last 20 moves.

    One pawn up and the game is drawn, so MC sacs two pawn to set up
    a 'only the best moves will do' ending. One slip by Anand and it's 2-0.

    Anand seems to have forgotten his Fred Reinfeld.
    Passed pawns must be pushed and Attack pawns with a Rook from the rear.

    I'd check this, as it's me. but it does look OK.
    If I've missed a sneaky please show it.



    So it's over? If it stays the same score we only have 4 games left.
    Anand must not allow MC into these late middlegame - endgames
    slight plus positions. He's unbeatable in this field and very very tricky.
    Easier said than done but Anand will have to go for the neck.
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Nov '13 16:18
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Incredible ending. Smashing last 20 moves.

    One pawn up and the game is drawn, so MC sacs two pawn to set up
    a 'only the best moves will do' ending. One slip by Anand and it's 2-0.

    Anand seems to have forgotten his Fred Reinfeld.
    Passed pawns must be pushed and Attack pawns with a Rook from the rear.

    I'd check this, as it's me. but it does ...[text shortened]... this field and very very tricky.
    Easier said than done but Anand will have to go for the neck.
    So much for my statement that Anand would come out like a bull this game.
  11. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    16 Nov '13 16:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So much for my statement that Anand would come out like a bull this game.
    He did actually. he played his first 14 moves in something like 3 minutes! He was moving like Billy-oh!

    -m.
  12. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    16 Nov '13 17:04
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    In any ending involving Carlsen you have to add a correction factor to Houdini's assessment of the position - add 1 to Carlsen's score!
    That's funny and true at the same time- it's a nice way of expressing it.
  13. 16 Nov '13 17:09
    44....gxh5, accepting (welcoming?) doubled and isolated pawns seemed to catch everyone by surprise.

    I'm impressed!
  14. 16 Nov '13 17:34
    It was pretty funny listening to a flummoxed Susan Polgar and Alejandro Ramirez muddling over Carlsen's decision to drop the c pawn with Kf4. It took them at least five minutes to figure out what Carlsen was after, by which point he was probably already in a won position.

    I do wonder what inspired Anand to drop the pawn with 38.Qg3. Surely if he had kept the queens on, even Carlsen wouldn't have been able to make progress?
  15. Standard member woodypusher
    misanthrope
    16 Nov '13 17:48
    Carlsen's opponents must get increasingly nervous as the game progresses. If they don't find a win during the middlegame, Magnus will start trading pieces off and enter a drawn endgame. Then it's over.