Originally posted by sundown316
Anand has never been known for his fighting spirit. I think maybe the only 2 guys who might have a realisitic chance against Carlsen at this point are Akopian and Caruana.
Akopian? Did you mean Aronian?
My five players who would have put up more a fight than Anand are:
1) Kramnik - playing near his best for the last year or so, he really wants another crack at the title!
2) Nakamura - terrible record against Carlsen, but an exciting player who has improved in the last two years since he's been playing more tournaments with the other Big Boys.
3) Caruana - Younger than Carlsen and seems to do OK against him in head-to-heads.
4) Topolov - Can still play great chess, but seems to lack a little motivation to keep it up for a whole tournament.
5) Ivanchuk - Mad as a hatter and his constant nose-picking might not be good for the TV, but in my opinion the most brilliant player in the world when he has a good day.