1. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 05:38
    Have any of you gotten so furious at the game that you vow to never play it again, but you always end up going back to it after a cooling off period? This can come about as a result of losing repeatedly to someone, or else playing what you thought was a brilliant game, then finding out after you computer analyze it that you made many inaccuracies and mistakes and possibly even blundered.

Or else you get into obscure chess variants like Omega Chess or Grand Chess and assert that they are superior to orthochess, as a way to feel like you are getting revenge on the standard game?
  2. Forking Hell
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 09:39
    Unfortunately, at the moment, I annoy myself in every game I play.

I'm a pretty poor player, but I would like to get half decent at chess, so I read books/forums/blogs and do some tactical training. It all seems really cool and makes perfect sense when you are in study mode.....but then I get in a game and miss everything!
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 12:21
    No,the game doesn't anger me.For that it's not important enough to me.

But I do have a sportscar for sale 😉
  4. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 13:10
    30 years ago when I just started playing I messed up a game in a tournament. I was so angry I went outside and took it out on my pen by throwing it on the floor and jumping up and down on it a few times. It was only as my anger subsided that I realised that there was a bus stop 25m away with a small group of people looking over at a mad man. I must have looked like Basil Fawlty attacking his car in Fawlty Towers.

I managed to draw the game so I don't know whet I would have done if I'd lost.
  5. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 13:25
    Originally posted by kingshill
    30 years ago when I just started playing I messed up a game in a tournament. I was so angry I went outside and took it out on my pen by throwing it on the floor and jumping up and down on it a few times. It was only as my anger subsided that I realised that there was a bus stop 25m away with a small group of people looking over at a mad man. I must have ...[text shortened]... wlty Towers.

I managed to draw the game so I don't know whet I would have done if I'd lost.
    way to go fuelling the 'chess will make you mad' myth 🙄
  6. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 04:243 edits
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    Have any of you gotten so furious at the game that you vow to never play it again, but you always end up going back to it after a cooling off period? This can come about as a result of losing repeatedly to someone, or else playing what you thought was a brilliant game, then finding out after you computer analyze it that you made many inaccuracies and mis ...[text shortened]... are superior to orthochess, as a way to feel like you are getting revenge on the standard game?
    I can understand your frustration with the game, but the losses can drive you to study and become a better player.

After reading your profile, it seems you may need to focus on yourself. Posting your private medication list and other very private facts about yourself on a chess profile is indicative of a cry for help IMO. I sincerely hope things get better for you, but you are the one who needs to make that happen. Good luck in the future.
  7. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 16:39
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    I can understand your frustration with the game, but the losses can drive you to study and become a better player.

After reading your profile, it seems you may need to focus on yourself. Posting your private medication list and other very private facts about yourself on a chess profile is indicative of a cry for help IMO. I sincerely hope things get better for you, but you are the one who needs to make that happen. Good luck in the future.
    Actually I put that on my profile page as a joke.

I copied it from a profile page of someone who is apparently mentally disturbed who posts on another unrelated site.

I also wanted to see if people actually read people's profile pages.

I just wanted to have some fun. Putting true actual biographical info on it is a bore.
  8. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 17:05
    Actually I put that on my profile page as a joke.

I copied it from a profile page of someone who is apparently mentally disturbed who posts on another unrelated site.

I also wanted to see if people actually read people's profile pages.

I just wanted to have some fun. Putting true actual biographical info on it is a bore.
    LOL. I think the numerous e-mails I got from Nigerian Princes wanting financial logistic help would make a good profile. But they seemed to have dried up of late. Maybe the transaction went through?😀
  9. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 17:141 edit
    Just did the "AOL Translator" on my profile. I think my IQ just jumped a decimal point. Not sure which way though.

"H3LO IMM JM3S!11!1
    41 YEAR OLD FROM DA SCOTISH HIGHLANDS1!1!! OMG WTF LOL
    INTERESTS APART FROM CH3S INCLUDA WOMEN AND BER!!11 LOL O AND A LITLA HIS2RY1!!11 OMG LOL

PLAYNG FOR FUN SO WIL NOT TAEK SKULS IF U ASK FOR MOR3 TIEM!!1!!1!! OMG WTF LOL"
  10. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 23:47
    If I had a dollar for every time I've walked away from this game,I could retire quite comfy. I usually get angry at myself,especially if I lose a game I should have won,or lost to someone who I thought I should never lose to. But then I will play a nice game against a stronger opponent,and that makes it all right again. I know I will never achieve a master's rating,but that is no longer important to me,I now simply play for the fun of it.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 01:30
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Just did the "AOL Translator" on my profile. I think my IQ just jumped a decimal point. Not sure which way though.

"H3LO IMM JM3S!11!1
    41 YEAR OLD FROM DA SCOTISH HIGHLANDS1!1!! OMG WTF LOL
    INTERESTS APART FROM CH3S INCLUDA WOMEN AND BER!!11 LOL O AND A LITLA HIS2RY1!!11 OMG LOL

PLAYNG FOR FUN SO WIL NOT TAEK SKULS IF U ASK FOR MOR3 TIEM!!1!!1!! OMG WTF LOL"
    Maybe a spell checker would help.
  12. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 02:521 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    If I had a dollar for every time I've walked away from this game,I could retire quite comfy. I usually get angry at myself,especially if I lose a game I should have won,or lost to someone who I thought I should never lose to. But then I will play a nice game against a stronger opponent,and that makes it all right again. I know I will never achieve a master's rating,but that is no longer important to me,I now simply play for the fun of it.
    EXACTLY how I feel. To play well and get good at the game you have to have some degree of emotional investment in it, and if you don't feel you're getting sufficient returns on your investment in time and energy, then you can become a disgruntled chessplayer. I have donated my entire chess library to my local library twice when the game enraged me to a "10" on the scale of 1-10. Often the crisis comes about due to self-sabotage, where I will lose a won game and know that it was sheer carelessness.

I also tend to think of the game as a test of my intelligence and powers of observation so if I lose to someone of my strength or lower it's like I flunked an IQ test.

People repeating the mantra "It's only a game" doesn't help. People will say to play it for fun, but playing for fun means having a lighter focus and being less competitive and thus less wins. And the game is about winning. And winning is what is supposed to be fun.

Mental toughness and emotional resilience are what I need. Bent Larsen and Mark Taimonov didn't quit the game when Fischer beat them both 6-0 in world championship qualifying matches.
  13. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    18 Aug '12 03:27

Mental toughness and emotional resilience are what I need. Bent Larsen and Mark Taimonov didn't quit the game when Fischer beat them both 6-0 in world championship qualifying matches.
    Just as Kasparov kept on playing after Karpov was leading 5-0 in the beginning of the 1984 World Championship match.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree