1. Standard memberGraemeK
    Beginner
    Toronto
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 18:325 edits
    I annotated a game. Its fairly verbal but it indicates (to myself) what was going on in my head. Not much in terms of 'calculation' and 'variations' because I didn't do any - it was a quick iTouch-based game for the most part with not much thinking as can be seen. However, I did find that going through the game and annotating it with some scribbles definitely allowed me to see some serious (perhaps class-101) flaws in my game!

For your entertainment (laugh away):

Game 8096328 <----- Anyone know how I can include this 'board' with annotations in the forum so you can easily see it?

(Please bare with me - this is all an education for me!).
  2. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 23:57
    Originally posted by GraemeK
    I annotated a game. Its fairly verbal but it indicates (to myself) what was going on in my head. Not much in terms of 'calculation' and 'variations' because I didn't do any - it was a quick iTouch-based game for the most part with not much thinking as can be seen. However, I did find that going through the game and annotating it with some scribbles definitel ...[text shortened]... um so you can easily see it?

(Please bare with me - this is all an education for me!).
    Annotation 631

There you go!
  3. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 00:07
    Annotating your games is actually a really good idea. I think playing chess is often like writing a book, that even if you don't have an audience, *pretending* you have an audience steps up your game.
  4. Standard memberGraemeK
    Beginner
    Toronto
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 01:05
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Annotation 631

There you go!
    Awesome! How did you do that? :-)
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 11:153 edits
    Awesome! How did you do that? :-)
    I clicked the community tab and clicked "Annotated Games"
    I went into your game to find the annotation number - revealed in the address bar of the internet browser. I went back to the forum post and typed:-

"Annotation 631"

Roberta was then my Aunt!

This may give you the idea FAQ or press reply and quote ...

You can go to your annotation and bring up the board. By clicking the PGN link your pgn is then available to copy and paste like this:-

You are now published and famous and Bob's your Uncle!
  6. Standard memberGraemeK
    Beginner
    Toronto
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 12:331 edit
    Thank you! Very nice!

Now the question is - how to write good annotations that are useful?
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 14:481 edit
    Hi - I'm new to the forums and chess in general.

I am going to download some of my games and build some information about what openings get me into good/bad games, understand serious mistakes that cause me to lose games, or get into trouble. Try to analyze them, find weaknesses and strengths and patterns of my play so I can make improvements. One thing I' ...[text shortened]... here a method you follow? How do you verify that your analysis is sound?

Sincerely, GraemeK
    When I was playing seriously a few years back, I'd always have someone of superior ability give me feedback on my completed games. It was a big help. Try contacting some players here on RHP over 2000 and send them your games, some would be happy to give you there feedback. (Just don't ask me anymore because my playing ability sucks!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree