Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 05 Mar '12 20:22 / 1 edit
    There's been a few games going around with the grob played so I thought I'd throw this one in that I played in blitz earlier today



    As always feel free to comment on my game with missed moves, sexy alternatives, accusation of using a box (the usual feedback).

    I first started playing the rook sac as a response to the grob after seeing a game by the Belgian chess player Henri Winants:

  2. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    05 Mar '12 20:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    There's been a few games going around with the grob played so I thought I'd throw this one in that I played in blitz earlier today

    [pgn]
    [Event "RHP Blitz rated"] [Site "www.timeforchess.com"] [Date "2012.3.5"] [Round "?"] [White "alfarov"] [Black "VelvetEars"] [Result "0-1"] 1. g2-g4 {The grob, can be very effective in blitz} d7-d5 {I go for a count 19.Qxh5 f5 20.e4 Qa6+ 21.Kd1 Be8 {And White's lost his queen}
    [/pgn]
    I've always played 3...d4 here (Romford gambit) but your move 3 ... dxc4 seems to score even better (although there are few games with either variation). I saw the line in a magazine called Kingpin which I picked up at a congress many years ago
  3. 05 Mar '12 20:33
    Hi, VelvetEars.

    I have a question about your comment on move 6. You say that white has a poor pawn structure. Is your pawn structure better? I know from what I've read that isolated double pawns are considered bad pawn structure because they are easy to attack. You have those + another isolated pawn. Could you explain it further?
  4. 05 Mar '12 20:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    Hi, VelvetEars.

    I have a question about your comment on move 6. You say that white has a poor pawn structure. Is your pawn structure better? I know from what I've read that isolated double pawns are considered bad pawn structure because they are easy to attack. You have those + another isolated pawn. Could you explain it further?
    Hi WanderingKing,

    In terms of defence, I can castle kingside quite comfortably, however White can't really castle kingside or queenside due to the missing g and c pawns, so I can just plan an attack down the centre and he can't really run anywhere. It's true that isolated double pawns are very hard to defend, but since I'm constantly attacking in this game that's not really a problem for me. 🙂
  5. 05 Mar '12 20:39
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    Hi WanderingKing,

    In terms of defence, I can castle kingside quite comfortably, however White can't really castle kingside or queenside due to the missing g and c pawns, so I can just plan a attack down the centre and he can't really run anywhere. It's true that isolated double pawns are very hard to defend, but since I'm constantly attacking in this game that's not really a problem for me. 🙂
    Thanks!
  6. 05 Mar '12 20:40
    Originally posted by kingshill
    I've always played 3...d4 here (Romford gambit) but your move 3 ... dxc4 seems to score even better (although there are few games with either variation). I saw the line in a magazine called Kingpin which I picked up at a congress many years ago
    I personally prefer 3...dxc4 for the reason it stops White about getting any notions of attacking which is the last thing I want him to do in this game. How did 3...d4 play for you? - I must admit, I've never really considered it as an alternative.
  7. 05 Mar '12 21:03
    Nice game and nice annotations. But may I ask whats wrong with 1...e5 with idea to play 2...h5 (after 2.Bg2 or 2.c4)? White should have horrible king side pawn structure then.
  8. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    05 Mar '12 21:11
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    Nice game and nice annotations. But may I ask whats wrong with 1...e5 with idea to play 2...h5 (after 2.Bg2 or 2.c4)? White should have horrible king side pawn structure then.
    Nothing wrong with almost anything against the Grob. Grob players are happy with a mess where both players are out of book as soon as possible
  9. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    05 Mar '12 21:29
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    I personally prefer 3...dxc4 for the reason it stops White about getting any notions of attacking which is the last thing I want him to do in this game. How did 3...d4 play for you? - I must admit, I've never really considered it as an alternative.
    I've only ever played this line in blitz games. One advantage of d4 is it stops the knight getting to it's optimum square c3. Black looks for compensation is the disjointed nature of white's position
  10. 05 Mar '12 22:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    There's been a few games going around with the grob played so I thought I'd throw this one in that I played in blitz earlier today

    [pgn]
    [Event "RHP Blitz rated"] [Site "www.timeforchess.com"] [Date "2012.3.5"] [Round "?"] [White "alfarov"] [Black "VelvetEars"] [Result "0-1"] 1. g2-g4 {The grob, can be very effective in blitz} d7-d5 {I go for a count 19.Qxh5 f5 20.e4 Qa6+ 21.Kd1 Be8 {And White's lost his queen}
    [/pgn]
    Hey, this is the line you tried against me! 🙂
    Love the cavalier approach, it is very much like the football chant of "we're going to score one more than you", doesn't matter how much your defence gets destroyed, as long as the opponent's is worse 😀
    8. e4 looks as though it was the card holding the deck up that has just been removed. b3 or Qa4 look more viable alternatives for white...