1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 May '06 00:07
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Ya that's what I thought. This puzzles I'm sure I have done before from another book or online and that was the solution given but white is not winning.

So far from 31 puzzles, I have found 3 incorrect puzzles. 2 of them pick up material but White is not winning. The 3rd one I have no idea. I can't find the solution and neither can fritz.

That's not to bad though, 3/31.
    Is this normal to see this many wrong puzzles in a book? Also what is a good puzzle book or is there really any diff from one to another? Thanks Kevin.
  2. Under Cover
    Moves
    11 May '06 01:131 edit
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Is this normal to see this many wrong puzzles in a book? Also what is a good puzzle book or is there really any diff from one to another? Thanks Kevin.
    You have to remember that this particular book was written many years ago without the benefit of computer analysis. These types of errors in a modern book would be unacceptable.

EDIT Sorry, forgot to mention, The Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book by John Emms has 1000 puzzles organized in increasing order of difficulty. All positions are from actual games, and are checked by a computer for accuracy. It is a big book though, but the print quality is excellent.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 May '06 02:472 edits
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Depends what kind of books. If it's purely a puzzle book then I would say it's the norm most of the time. But 3/31 approx 10% wrong isn't bad.

Some book which don't have to many puzzles such as Yasser Seirwans book, Winning Chess Tactics, I think there is 150 puzzle or so and I didn't find 1 mistake.

There these 3 or 4 book in a set called combination something with an elephant on the cover and pretty colors. It's sounds so good but there are mistakes everywhere. Like every 4th puzzles is wrong. It's written in some language I can't read and then in english also but I think it's meant for non-english people. I wanted to sign those books out from the club but every now and then I would solve some puzzles from the book and I got fed up with it because of all the wrong solutions and gave up on the whole series.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree