Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '10 02:38
    I hope I can get the pgn thing right, I copied the PGN moves only.
  2. 21 Apr '10 03:31 / 1 edit
    10...h6 reminds me of hitchhiking.

It looks as if sticking a thumb into oncoming traffic could cause one to lose an appendage.

I assume 10...Re8 would be an improvement.
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '10 04:07
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    10...h6 reminds me of hitchhiking.

It looks as if sticking a thumb into oncoming traffic could cause one to lose an appendage.

I assume 10...Re8 would be an improvement.
    Yeah, that looks right, it allowed me to get a pawn storm started, would have been much harder with his pawn at home on h7, right?
  4. 21 Apr '10 04:21
    Well you could take on h6 immediately with 11.Bxh6 or first triple thy zeroes then remove the pedestrians thumb.
  5. 21 Apr '10 07:15
    10. ... h6 doesn't look inspired indeed, except if your opponent hoped on 11.Bxh6. Because I think that would not be a good idea for white, there isn't enough attacking material on hand to justify a bishop vs. 2 pawns sack : 11. ... gxh6 12.Qxh6 Ng4 eliminates immediate threats and keeps the material advantage.
  6. 21 Apr '10 07:48
    Uhoh I hope folks don`t interpret that as a play h6 recomendation.
  7. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    21 Apr '10 18:14
    Uhoh I hope folks don`t interpret that as a play h6 recomendation.
    10...h6! Two masters can't be wrong. 😀
  8. 22 Apr '10 02:07
    5... Bxd4 can't be good.
  9. 22 Apr '10 16:28
    Once black plays h6 and Re8 I'm surprised that the the Bxh6 sac isn't a go. The unprotected f7 pawn seems to be winnable if black takes back on h6.

12. Bxh6 ...gxh6
    13. Qxh6 ...?

Is the problem the response 12. Bxh6 ...Nxe4?
  10. 22 Apr '10 18:11 / 1 edit
    See folks how terrible ...h6 is you can take it instantly and clobber or you can take it later since there is no good way to prevent it.

Its worse than not moving.

Its like jumping in front of a bus.
  11. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    22 Apr '10 18:35 / 1 edit
    ...a riding bus.
  12. 22 Apr '10 18:46
    See folks how terrible ...h6 is you can take it instantly and clobber or you can take it later since there is no good way to prevent it.

Its worse than not moving.

ct
    Please. First of all, I did not advocate ... h6, I merely indicated what a possible psycho-tactical motive could be to make that (not very inspiring, was my wording) move. But your pleading against ... h6, based on 'religious'-type convictions, and against actual continuation lines that make the sac on h6 at least questionable if not bad, is not helping anybody. I would expect from a Master to either retract these statements or to make them hard by analysis evidence. Your pick.
  13. 23 Apr '10 06:54
    I think I was kinda paranoid.

I didn`t want folks to misinterpret thy post which seemed possible.
  14. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    26 Apr '10 13:59 / 1 edit
    I think I was kinda paranoid.

I didn`t want folks to misinterpret thy post which seemed possible.
    So h6 doesn't work, what about his 27... Qe7? Was there anything else at that point or was it too late already?
  15. 26 Apr '10 15:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So h6 doesn't work, what about his 27... Qe7? Was there anything else at that point or was it too late already?
    It was too late for anything else. Except if you wanted to finish faster: 27. ... Kxh6?? 28.Rh5+ Kxh5 29.Qg5# 😉