1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 00:49
    I was just wondering why I should get better at chess. Are games more fun? Or is simply so that I can say that I'm better than others because my rating is higher?
  2. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 01:59
    I wouldn't say they are more fun. They are probably more rewarding. You feel better when you improve. The fun factor is probably at its highest, when you don't care as much about results and just play for the thrill of playing.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 02:45
    So no matter how you slice it, chess goes like this:

More fulfilling, but less fun while you are getting better

More fun when you accept where you are at and simply play to play

Pretty much everyone follows this cycle?
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 03:09
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So no matter how you slice it, chess goes like this:

More fulfilling, but less fun while you are getting better

More fun when you accept where you are at and simply play to play

Pretty much everyone follows this cycle?
    there's the fun of playing, the fun of learning, and the fun of doing things well. it depends on which aspects you tend to enjoy the most.
  5. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 05:18
    1) more fun to win
    2) you win more if you get better
    ---> more fun to get better
  6. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 08:25
    Originally posted by randolph
    1) more fun to win
    2) you win more if you get better
    ---> more fun to get better
    Except as you get better, you play better opponents, so you don't win so much, then you get a bit better. Repeat to fade.

In an OTB environment, there is also a social side to it. Without that, it feels a little soulless to me .. probably why my chess interest is flagging before the start of the new season 🙂
  7. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 08:37
    Chess at the pub or coffee shop chess does tend to have less lag.
  8. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 12:44
    Up to a certain level it is only fun if you learn new things. I think you would get bored of winning or losing in the same old way and would want to learn some new opening/tactic and strategy. THere is then immense satisfaction in using it.

THis learning may or may not make your chess noticably better.

The above, hoever, requires a time investment i can no longer be bothered with so I am happily enjoying playing at my level. If i did improve by learning/dedication I think i would enjoy the process but after reaching the new level would feel little added enjoyment.
  9. Manchester
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 13:16
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I was just wondering why I should get better at chess. Are games more fun? Or is simply so that I can say that I'm better than others because my rating is higher?
    I remember Spassky saying he was bored knowing so much about chess and he wished he could just have a game without knowing anything about the openings so he could just enjoy the game. Maybe the answer is don't try and learn details about theory, just play.
  10. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 13:17
    I wouldn't use the prhase 'more fun'. I would say more intense or drama filled.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 15:46
    Originally posted by chesstora
    I wouldn't use the prhase 'more fun'. I would say more intense or drama filled.
    much like juggling chainsaws wearing a blindfold.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 17:202 edits
    Personally, it's much less fun for me than it was when I first joined. No more crazy games where the balance keeps tipping from one side to the other like a drunken sailor. Now it's all about slowly tightening the grasp.

I'm getting worse now that I don't play a lot. Maybe I'll get the fun back.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 17:401 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Personally, it's much less fun for me than it was when I first joined. No more crazy games where the balance keeps tipping from one side to the other like a drunken sailor. Now it's all about slowly tightening the grasp.

I'm getting worse now that I don't play a lot. Maybe I'll get the fun back.
    there's always blitz for the crazy stuff. try any weird and foolishly aggressive complication, screw it up, shrug it off, and start a new game. at move 2 you won't even remember the previous stupid loss.

it's amazing how far you can get with insultingly bad openings in blitz. like pushing all pawns 1 square before doing anything else. (of course those backfire often as well, but not nearly as often as you'd think.) - here you lose the initiative, and grasp at straws for 20 moves to get it back. no drunken sailors allowed.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 20:071 edit
    If it is not more rewarding and more satisfying, then what am I studying so hard for?
    Isn't there joy in understanding more?
    Grit
  15. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 21:151 edit
    Games don't become more fun.Chess can be enjoyed at any level.
    They do become more interesting,deeper.Lots more to talk about afterwards.

The learning is fun too.And,I'll admit it,when other players think of you as a strong player or dangerous opponent that is fun too.

And yes,I think there is some joy in understanding more.

toet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree