1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 08:24
    Here's an email I sent to a friend who also plays on here.
    Could be useful to anyone much below 1500:

Favourite openings for us attacking types!

You said that you don’t really think you’re a 1500 player but I disagree. You know all the tactics & play well above the 1400 level most of the time.
    Always playing 1.e4 (like me) tells me that you prefer tactical, open games rather than strategic, closed positions.
    I think the key to success is to learn the principles of a few openings & develop a repertoire that covers the broadest amount of possibilities with the least amount of headache!
    Here are some attacking ideas put pretty simply for white with 1.e4 & also against 1.e4 using the Sicilian & Centre-counter attack openings.
    Try to at least work through each one once on your board if you can.
    I’ve put it in terms I understand, so you should be fine. It shouldn’t take long & I think will help you.
    (But hopefully not too much!)

King’s Gambit
    The idea’s very simple – white offers the f-pawn to get black to basically give up the centre & leave a weakness on the f-file.
    So 1.e4…e5, 2.f4…exf4, 3.Nf3… then black can play g5 or d5 or Nf6 etc.
    White’s ideally looking to play Bc4, castle to K-side + then bring rook to f1 to attack the f7 square with the file half-open.
    Notice that by playing d4 white controls the centre & attacks the f4 pawn with Bc1.
    It’s a real hack against the black k-side that can result in an early onslaught!
    As I said before, if black tries to hang on to the pawn on f4 then they generally weaken their position with odd-looking moves like g5 or Nh5.

Morra Gambit
    This is ideal to use against the Sicilian Defence which is probably the most common (& strongest I think) reply to 1.e4
    So 1.e4…c5 then 2.d4…cxd4 (most times they will take the gambit pawn) 3.c3…dxc3 (in for a penny&hellip😉 4.Nxc3
    You may panic at this stage & think damn - I’ve got ½ open c & d files – my queenside’s vulnerable! But this is part of the plan. You’ve given up a pawn, but after 4.Nxc3 you have a lead of an extra tempo, a firm foot-hold on the centre & some great attacking chances.
    You should look to get your rooks on c1 & d1 & get your bishops on decent diagonals. Black can often have real problems getting his pieces active, especially his queen.
    If possible, white’s next moves should be perhaps 5.Nf3, 6.Bc4, 7.0-0, 8.Qe2, 9.Rd1
    That virtually completes the development. The next 5-10 moves could end the game!
    I played this against you fairly recently. It’s worth looking at that game now knowing what my plan was.

Centre-Counter attack
    You’ll definitely come across this one if you play 1.e4 all the time.
    I think I’ve played it against you at least once.
    1.e4…d5
    White will almost always accept the challenge & take the pawn, knowing that black will probably lose slightly on early development by re-taking with his queen. Black hopes the queen can cause havoc with white if he’s not careful.
    2.exd5…Qxd5, then rationally 3.Nc3 – attacking the queen & developing at the same time. 3…Qa5 (the nuisance value move) white can’t easily chase the queen away & it’s on the white king’s diagonal.
    4.d4…Nf6, 5.Nf3 then …c6 or Bg4 for instance.
    It’s very open play with both d & e files ½ open – lots of potential for both sides to attack.

Sicilian Defence
    I know you said you only knew it was 1...c5.
    Well the idea is to create an imbalance in the centre & counter on the Queenside whilst allowing white some chances on the Kingside. It’s a great attacking choice for black against 1.e4 – probably the most aggressive response apart from the centre-counter attack opening 1.e4…d5
    There are literally hundreds of versions & sub-versions. I only know 2 really!

Main Line
    1.e4…c5, 2.Nf3…Nc6, 3.d4…cxd4, 4.Nxd4 then there are many options for black, like 4…e5 or Nf6 or g6 (looking to fianchetto early)
    Play through these first moves & you’ll get the general idea of how flexible it is.

Dragon variation
    1.e4…c5, 2.Nf3…d6, 3.d4…cxd4, 4.Nxd4…Nf6, 5.Nc3…g6
    This really is great counter-attacking stuff. It’s easy to see how the position could explode for both players if you play this variation.
    You are then looking to fianchetto the bishop to g7, then castle behind it.
    Expect an early win against anyone unprepared!
    The problem is that often when you play a Sicilian, some opponents are reluctant to play d4 & exchange the pawns although that is their best shot.
    They play moves like 3.Nc3 or Bb5+ or Bc4.
    If this happens, just develop normally & look for a weakness against white’s central pawns.

Evans Gambit
    Compared to the Sicilian, this one’s really easy to remember & very effective for white.
    Most people start out playing chess using the Italian Game (Giuoco Piano) opening.
    This is a version that gives that tired, boring opening a real kick up the bum!
    So 1.e4…e5, 2.Nf3…Nc6 3.Bc4…Bc5 (yawn) but then 4.b4!
    What you’re doing is attacking the bishop so it’ll probably take the gambit pawn (most will I think) to set-up a big centre with 5.c3 attacking it again, then eventually d4. Just try it if you get the chance. You should have plenty of attacking chances.

Those are definitely my favourites & I hope you have a look through these, as the basic concepts are pretty straight-forward I think.

Good luck
  2. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 21:311 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch

You said that you don’t really think you’re a 1500 player but I disagree. You know all the tactics & play well above the 1400 level most of the time.
    Always playing 1.e4 (like me) tells me that you ...[text shortened]... e a look through these, as the basic concepts are pretty straight-forward I think.

Good luck
    Actually, I am an attacking player, and no where near defensive... and I prefer this for White as of late:

1.)Scotch Game (agaist e5 with Nc6)
    2.)Sicilian Defense - Paulsen Variation (1. e4 ... 2. Nf3 ... 3. d4 ... 4. exd4 5.) Nxd4 .... and you know whatever after that.
    3.)French Defense -McCutcheon Variation against (1.... e6)
    4.)Pirc Defense - Austrian Attack against (1. ... d6)

i.e. Trying out the Ruy Lopez - Exchange Variation, too, though. Another Fischer favorite. I love e4, boy!

By the way, that's my repertroire now that I finally listened to everyone on redhotpawn, and stopped the slam bam thank you ma'm openings that beginner's play.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 21:34
    powershaker how about against queen pawn oppennings.how about against d-4!
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 03:131 edit

Always playing 1.e4 (like me) tells me that you ...[text shortened]... e a look through these, as the basic concepts are pretty straight-forward I think.

Good luck
    This all just seems to vague to me. As has been seen from previous threads on the dragon there is TONS of material. You didn't mentiont that if somebody's going to use it they BETTER read up. The other topics have a lot of the same issues.
  5. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 04:17
    Also, if there is any attacking to be done in the Center Counter, it's by white. Black normally has to sit there and handle some early pressure by white. And even then the opening really has nothing all that exciting about it.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 05:18
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Also, if there is any attacking to be done in the Center Counter, it's by white. Black normally has to sit there and handle some early pressure by white. And even then the opening really has nothing all that exciting about it.
    Yeah I agree, Center-Counter is boring.
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 11:442 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 13:02
    At the moment. I like the fried liver attack....
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 15:011 edit
    Well it was meant for advice for anyone who wants a general overview of those openings & my friend in particular as he is aware of tactics, but doesn't really use an opening repertoire.
    This may help a little more - showing a couple of basic ideas:

Game examples

Here are a couple of examples just to show how dangerous gambit openings can be using some simple tactics.

The fist example uses a deflection check to take the queen.
    The second shows several pins & a fork, again taking the queen.

Morra Gambit 7-move win

The Morra is just about the most trap-filled opening you can play. Here’s one trap:

1.e4…c5, 2.d4…cxd4, 3.c3…dxc3, 4.Nxc3…d6, 5.Bc4…Nf6? (a typical looking move for a Sicilian player, but potentially disastrous) 6.e5!...dxe5?? 7.Bxf7+! forcing the king to take on f7, then black loses his queen.
    1-0

Let me know if you ever get to use that. Your opponent won’t know what hit them!

Four Knights Game – Leipzig Gambit

The 4 knights is a pretty stodgy opening normally. Here’s a gambit that could take black by surprise!

1.e4…e5, 2.Nf3…Nc6, 3.Nc3…Nf6
    Now, white gives up his knight on f3 for black’s e-pawn!
    4.Nxe5? looks like a blunder, but is very dangerous.
    ...Nxe5, 5.d4 (attacking & gaining total central pawn control)…Ng6
    6.e5 (attacking the other knight!)…Ng8 – only square, 7.Bc4…Bb4 pinning knight
    8.Qf3 (attacking f7 with Bc4 threatening checkmate)…Qe7, 9.0-0…f6 – trying to regain some centre, 10.exf6…Nxf6, 11.Bg5 pinning knight against queen…h6, 12.Nd5! (forks black’s Q & c7 pawn)…hxg5 - best move, 13.NxQe7
    It should be all over

P.s - please can you post the basic line of the Fried Liver attack?
    Thanks
    🙂
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 15:25
    P.s - please can you post the basic line of the Fried Liver attack?
    How about this: Feivel playing an unrated game against Fritz8. IIRC Feivel went with the fried liver attack and got raped and pillaged by Fritz.
    Thread 16599
    Game 793134
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 15:49
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    How about this: Feivel playing an unrated game against Fritz8. IIRC Feivel went with the fried liver attack and got raped and pillaged by Fritz.
    Thread 16599
    Game 793134
    Thank you. That's very interesting!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree