1. e4
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 13:03
    Update:

Before his game with Maxim Dlugy, Borislav was asked to let his footwear be examined.

Borislav refused claiming his socks were dirty.
    The game was awarded a win to Dlugy.

Borislav turns up next round with new shoes (and clean socks.)

This is his last round game.

Borislav Ivanov (2324) - Vasil Vaklinov (2144)

2. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 13:30
    "My feet are smelly."
    Tell that to the airport security guard and your alternative is a full body x-ray scan.
  3. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 17:18
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Update:

Before his game with Maxim Dlugy, Borislav was asked to let his footwear be examined.

Borislav refused claiming his socks were dirty.
    The game was awarded a win to Dlugy.

Borislav turns up next round with new shoes (and clean socks.)

This is his last round game.

Borislav Ivanov (2324) - Vasil Vaklinov (2144)

[pgn]1. d4 d6 2. ...[text shortened]... 3 Nxd5 45. Bf3 a5 46. a4 bxa4 47. bxa4 Nb6 48. Bd1 Kd5 49. Bf3+ Kd6 50. Bd1 {Draw agreed} [/pgn]
    I guess he didn't have any clean socks the day he was supposed to show up at the anti-cheating test 😉
  4. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 17:39
    "...the elephant in the room with smelly socks." LOL!

From Dlugy's FB page today:

"Now that the tournament is over and the Chief Arbiter, Mitko Iliev, who was in a potential conflict between the sponsor and organizer of the event, who was interested in showing that Borislav Ivanov is a fair player (who's strength just happens to vary between 1900 and 2700 on a bad and good day), and the situation at hand is finished with his duties, I can finally congratulate him on standing his ground and interpreting the tournament regulations according to common sense, and not to a strange standard, which would prove nothing if a player can only be searched with a metal detector. The amount of action there was at the tournament hall before each round: where all the players were freed of their cell phones, all their metallic items looked at, jamming units placed on both sides of the playing hall, strict security guards overseeing that noone talked, absolutely no spectators in the playing room, immediate compulsory departure mandated to all players finishing their games. All of that action would simply be a noise screen in order the miss the elephant in the room with smelly socks. Mitko saw through that and when I demanded a search before the game, convinced the sponsor to go through with that, overcoming Borislav's anger and (according to one of the top players in the tournament, who understands some Bulgarian,) cursing. As Borislav realized he ll be searched unprepared, he placed his jacket away and authored the famous circus scoresheet.

Bravo Mitko!"
  5. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 20:37
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    (who's strength just happens to vary between 1900 and 2700 on a bad and good day)
    I wonder if anyone has done any work/ research on the typical swings in a top level players performances.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 23:091 edit
    On 4 October 2013, Ivanov announced his retirement from competitive chess.[11] Ivanov's retirement came shortly after a controversial performance in a tournament, in which Ivanov, among other things, voluntarily forfeited his games after refusing to be searched for suspected cheating devices, was observed walking in a "gangsta" fashion with a limp, and referred to one of his opponents, Grandmaster Maxim Dlugy, as a "clown".[12]

Borislav is now endorsing Nike shoes....
    "I never coulda done it without my Nikes."
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 23:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    He or whoever wrote the article provides little details and its rather unrealistic that hes working the touchscreen on a smart phone with his toes. All the kids have blackberry's because they dont like texting on a touch phone, even with their fingers.
    http://physics.ucsc.edu/people/eudaemons/layout.html

It wouldn't be that difficult to adapt this to input and receive chess moves.
  8. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 23:39
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis

It's quite possible the gadgetry was put in his trainers by an 8 year old Indonedian sweat shop worker as a prank and he didn't even know it was there. The vibrations were then received subliminally without his knowledge. Poor guy.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 23:47
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    http://physics.ucsc.edu/people/eudaemons/layout.html

It wouldn't be that difficult to adapt this to input and receive chess moves.
    its fascinating, thanks for that.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 01:461 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    On 4 October 2013, Ivanov announced his retirement from competitive chess.[11] Ivanov's retirement came shortly after a controversial performance in a tournament, in which Ivanov, among other things, voluntarily forfeited his games after refusing to be searched for suspected cheating devices, was observed walking in a "gangsta" fashion with a limp ...[text shortened]...

Air Ivanovs. The first Nikes with functioning shoe lights. They glow when it's your turn to move! 😀
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 01:47
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Air Ivanovs. The first Nikes with functioning shoe lights. They glow when it's your turn to move! 😀
    A wee green light... 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 13:28
    Chess tournaments will soon look like this:::
    http://en.euwetoernooi.nl/files/2011/10/Closing-event-Naked-chess-03.jpg?9d7bd4
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 15:09
    What a freaking toolbag. He's the one cheating, yet he's calling his opponents "clowns."
  14. e4
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 15:271 edit
    And Borislav has now retired from Chess.

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4011410/ivanov-ends-his-chess-career-051013.aspx

Some of the comments at the bottom of the Chessbase article are worth reading.
  15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 20:20
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    And Borislav has now retired from Chess.

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4011410/ivanov-ends-his-chess-career-051013.aspx

Some of the comments at the bottom of the Chessbase article are worth reading.
    Don't you have to actually be playing chess in order to retire from it? Moving the pieces as you're told by a program isn't playing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree