Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 30 Sep '13 00:27 / 1 edit
    Boris Ivanov has entered a tournament (The Blagoevgrad Open)
    and is currently on 2½ from 3.
    The draw was with the highest graded player on Board 1.

    The jury is still out on Boris despite all the so called proof and specualtion.
    However.....

    This warning was given to all the players.

    ATTENTION!!!:

    The organizers of Grand Open Blagoevgrad wish to inform all potential
    participants of the following measures that will be taken and rules that will
    be applied during the tournament:

    1.The use of any cell phones or other electronic gadgets by the players
    will be strictly forbidden on the playing ground.

    2. The use ot cell phones or other electronic devices by the guests is not
    advisable and the organizer will take measures if they do so to be outside
    the hall - they will be ask by the guards to leave the hall.

    3. Two pieces of radio, gsm,wireless signal muting devices ( jammers or
    radio silencers ) will be installed in different areas on the playing hall.

    4. The area where the parties are held will be surrounded with restriction
    strap and only the players will be allowed access to the playing tables.

    5. Prior to entering the playing ground zone every player will leave all his
    possessions to the guards provided in individual plastic bag, like cell
    phones, electronic gadgets, watches, pens, sunglasses, tiaras, keys and so
    on, anything that is not needed during the game.

    (A tiara? Who plays chess wearing a tiara?)

    6. Writing devices will be supplied to everyone by the organizers.
    (I take it this means pens, pencils....crayons)

    7. Prior to entering the playing ground zone the players will be searched
    with a metal detector by the guards for the presence of unauthorized or
    suspicious objects in them, if any are found will be left over at the guards.

    8. Once during a game of chess a player may ask a new search to be
    conducted on his opponent and if electronic devices are found he will be
    removed from participating in the tournament any more. If any other
    suspicions objects are found the main arbiter may decided whether to
    dismiss the participant form playing or not.. If nothing is found the player
    who asked for the search owes an apology.

    (Incredible. )

    9. Other appropriate measures will be taken to prevent cheating, which
    become necessary under the circumstances during the tournament and
    some will be implemented without the knowledge of the participants.

    (Stripped them naked and make them play under water.)
  2. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    30 Sep '13 01:01
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Boris Ivanov has entered a tournament (The Blagoevgrad Open)
    and is currently on 2½ from 3.
    The draw was with the highest graded player on Board 1.

    The jury is still out on Boris despite all the so called proof and specualtion.
    However.....

    This warning was given to all the players.

    [b]ATTENTION!!!:


    The organizers of Grand Open Blago ...[text shortened]... hout the knowledge of the participants.

    (Stripped them naked and make them play under water.)[/b]
    What is the 'quality of game' file all about in this list of games? http://chess-db.com/public/livegames.jsp?event=Grand%20Open%20Blagoevgrad

    I'm as confused as you about the tiara rule. What red blooded male would wear a tiara when playing chess? I always take mine off before the game
  3. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    30 Sep '13 01:09
    Metal detectors... are they boarding a plane or something?

    They should keep a record of their fingerprints too... and install fingerprint-recognition technology into the chess pieces
  4. 30 Sep '13 08:44
    Boris will get a search -and apology- every game!
    (I think this alone will discombobulate most of his opponents).
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Sep '13 09:34
    Originally posted by hedonist
    What is the 'quality of game' file all about in this list of games? http://chess-db.com/public/livegames.jsp?event=Grand%20Open%20Blagoevgrad

    I'm as confused as you about the tiara rule. What red blooded male would wear a tiara when playing chess? I always take mine off before the game
    The easiest thing to do is to play the games in a Faraday shielded room. That is, copper screening all around the room which stops RF dead so no cell phone internet or walkie talkie communications can take place. Faraday shields require no energy to run after installation.

    Put him in a Faraday shielded room and then you will see his play drop to a 2100 level real fast. Isn't that his native strength, expert?
  6. 30 Sep '13 12:38
    The 3rd round game.
    Apparently it went on without interuption. Nobody was searched during the game.

    B. Ivanov (2324) - I.Saric (2627)

  7. 30 Sep '13 12:58
    hmmmi I've seen that position before with the g4 move, was it Anand or Kasparov who played it?
  8. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    30 Sep '13 18:54
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The 3rd round game.
    Apparently it went on without interuption. Nobody was searched during the game.

    B. Ivanov (2324) - I.Saric (2627)

    [pgn]
    1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. e3 Nbd7 6. Qc2 Bd6 7. g4 h6 8. Rg1 e5 9. cxd5 cxd5 10. h4 e4 11. Nd2 g5 12. Nb5 Bb8 13. Rh1 a6 14. Nc3 Nb6 15. a4 a5 16. hxg5 Nxg4 17. gxh6 Qg5 18. Ndxe4 dxe4 19. Qx ...[text shortened]... Kd5 Be6 43. Kc5 Bxb3 44. Kc6 Bc4 45. Kc7 Na7 46. Nc5 Nb5 47. Kb6 Nd6 48. a6 Bxa6 49. Nxa6[/pgn]
    That is a crazy game!
  9. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    01 Oct '13 00:05
    Maybe his secret is preparing moves for positions in neglected openings, and he is just way more familiar with the territory than the other guy? I'm still going with a dirty tournament official as the simplest way to cheat.
  10. 01 Oct '13 00:16
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Maybe his secret is preparing moves for positions in neglected openings, and he is just way more familiar with the territory than the other guy? I'm still going with a dirty tournament official as the simplest way to cheat.
    Has a common official been found in the tournaments he enters?
  11. 02 Oct '13 20:52 / 1 edit
    After mssing what the good guys are calling a simple draw.
    Borislav later lost his 4th round game to Vladmir Petkov (2564)

    Boris (Black and to move) resigned here.


    I cannot see the White win so I asked and neither can a GM.

    Can one of you lads with the super-duper computer TB's see it?
  12. 02 Oct '13 21:55
    Why don't they just get some of those guys they use to catch cheats in Vegas, or have I watched Casino too many times..
  13. Standard member woodypusher
    misanthrope
    03 Oct '13 00:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Boris Ivanov has entered a tournament (The Blagoevgrad Open)
    and is currently on 2½ from 3.
    The draw was with the highest graded player on Board 1.

    The jury is still out on Boris despite all the so called proof and specualtion.
    However.....

    This warning was given to all the players.

    [b]ATTENTION!!!:


    The organizers of Grand Open Blago ...[text shortened]... hout the knowledge of the participants.

    (Stripped them naked and make them play under water.)[/b]
    This is from Maxim Dlugy's Facebook page today:

    "Just finished off an infamous chess player Borislav Ivanov without making a move! He absolutely refused to take off his
    shoes during a search, which according to tournament regulations at Blagoevgrad open was allowed before any round.
    It was explained to him that refusal would mean a forfeit and a
    disqualification from the tournament, but he said he wouldnt do it because his socks smell. Hopefully he will have clean socks for his next tournament, if someone else will accept him. In that case i would recommend searching his jacket, which he put aside just before the search."

    As far as the jury being "still out" about the "so-called proof" and "speculation" , there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about his guilt - then again, he did claim to beat both Houdini and Stockfish 10-0 each

    As far as missing winning lines in some games, this can be attributed to mishearing the move relayed, a transmission error, or intentionally done to satisfy the gullible - all much more plausible than him being much stronger than 3100-rated computers (alone in practice) or grand masters in OTB games.
  14. 03 Oct '13 01:27
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    This is from Maxim Dlugy's Facebook page today:

    "Just finished off an infamous chess player Borislav Ivanov without making a move! He absolutely refused to take off his
    shoes during a search, which according to tournament regulations at Blagoevgrad open was allowed before any round.
    It was explained to him that refusal would mean a forfeit and a
    ...[text shortened]... e "so-called proof" and "speculation" , there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about his guilt.
    He probably cheats but I don't see what his shoes would have to do with it? I guess you could have some sort of device that sends signals through a modified morse code by tapping on his foot.
  15. Standard member woodypusher
    misanthrope
    03 Oct '13 01:32
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    He probably cheats but I don't see what his shoes would have to do with it? I guess you could have some sort of device that sends signals through a modified morse code by tapping on his foot.
    Hee also was a no-show at an anti-cheating test:

    http://www.chess-news.ru/en/node/12664