1. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 21:311 edit
    Regardless of whether he 'did it' or not, Ivanov should sue all those chess-media sites for libel & defamation, he probably has an excellent case.
    Hell, why not sue Dlugy also for his gross calumny......(but then millionaire Dlugy can afford a top lawyer, unlike Borislav!)
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 21:411 edit
    Originally posted by SMesq
    Regardless of whether he 'did it' or not, Ivanov should sue all those chess-media sites for libel & defamation, he probably has an excellent case.
    Hell, why not sue Dlugy also for his gross calumny......(but then millionaire Dlugy can afford a top lawyer, unlike Borislav!)
    Hah...ChessBase would be thinking, "Oh yes, please sue us. Then you get to go on the witness stand and answer awkward questions about why you wouldn't take off your shoes and what you have stashed in the jacket and why you walk funny."
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 22:07
    Even though he was really cheating he could sue them for libel for saying they think he's cheating?
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 22:12
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Even though he was really cheating he could sue them for libel for saying they think he's cheating?
    Prove he cheated.

And with no proof, I reckon they'd settle out of court.

What happens of the WSJ were to accuse Buffet of 'cheating'?
    He'd rip the WSJ a new *******.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 22:191 edit
    Prove he cheated.

And with no proof, I reckon they'd settle out of court.

What happens of the WSJ were to accuse Buffet of 'cheating'?
    He'd rip the WSJ a new *******.
    There's no need for me to prove it. That's already been done many times over. In no court does anything ever have to be proven 100%, not even a criminal court. In a civil court the threshold of persuasion for a judge or jury is the "preponderance of evidence." Simply put, it only comes down to who's story is more believable.

Given everything we know the chances that he wasn't cheating are extremely remote.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 22:31
    Ok for you personally it is 'proven' -many times over you say- but I'm not aware of any one thing that would stand up as evidence in a European court.
    Borislav might be very persuasive in the witness box, especially if he whips off his sneekers & really does have terrible stenchfoot. It's pretty common.

I don't think it's actually about the credibility of HIS story, but about making libelous claims which one cannot prove.

I think we would all want the 'benefit of law' for ourselves, so Borislav should get it too.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 22:362 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Given everything we know the chances that he wasn't cheating are extremely remote.
    I might agree if I was a good enough player to 'really understand' those games, but it still isn't proof & it still isn't beyond a 'reasonable doubt'.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 22:581 edit
    I might agree if I was a good enough player to 'really understand' those games, but it still isn't proof & it still isn't beyond a 'reasonable doubt'.
    I already told you. Civil suits aren't decided based on the threshold, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Also, show me a factual claim made by chess.com that is even questionable.
  9. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 04:22
    He won't sue because he cheats. Period.

He had his chance to prove otherwise. He didn't show up.

Guilty.
  10. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 04:23
    It's WELL BEYOND a reasonable doubt to a REASONABLE person.
  11. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 04:301 edit
    Ok for you personally it is 'proven' -many times over you say- but I'm not aware of any one thing that would stand up as evidence in a European court.
    Borislav might be very persuasive in the witness box, especially if he whips off his sneekers & really does have terrible stenchfoot. It's pretty common.

I don't think it's actually about the credibility of ...[text shortened]...

I think we would all want the 'benefit of law' for ourselves, so Borislav should get it too.
    You're confusing evidence and proof. There is more than enough evidence. The virtually impossible statistical improbility of him matching Houdini as often as he does is enough evidence to meet the standard of preponderence of evidence to a reasonable person.

And you say all he has to do is take off his shoes in court and show his feet smell to satisfy you as proof of his innocence??? All he would have to do is not change his socks for weeks before the trial and that's enough proof for you?

Wow.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 04:32
    Borislav might be very persuasive in the witness box, especially if he whips off his sneekers & really does have terrible stenchfoot.
    Hahahaha - now I know you are trolling.
  13. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 04:37

I don't think it's actually about the credibility of ...[text shortened]...

Were you on the Casey Anthony or O.J. Simpson jury?

If I ever kill anyone I hope your on my jury 😉
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 09:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hahahaha - now I know you are trolling.
    ;-)) Well someone's got to provide a foil to the 'lynch him!' mentallity going around.

I feel sorry for him. If he cheated, of course that's very bad & clearly he's already paying the price. If he didn't cheat (and his Houdini-matching is a coincidence) then he's paying the same price anyway.

He's been tried by the media's kangeroo court with almost every chess player ready to join the hue and cry. I don't like it.
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 09:561 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    And you say all he has to do is take off his shoes in court and show his feet smell to satisfy you as proof of his innocence??? All he would have to do is not change his socks for weeks before the trial and that's enough proof for you?

Wow.
    Doh! You see what you did there? Adding 2 with 2 & making 5.

I did NOT say a sniff of his sneekers would be good enough for me, I said he may prove to be a very persuasive witness, qualified with an example.

"Why you walk funny?"
    "I had rickets as a child."
    "Oh."

On the statistics issue, there have been a number of people analyse the 'dodgy' moves in key positions, some suggest that many of them look like perfectly natural selections. Stats are open to interpretation, you think a jury of non-chessplayers would be competent enough to understand the implications?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree