1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 01:441 edit
    Originally posted by Testrider
    just wondering rakhim, do you think you would mate a player (approx your own strength) if you had 2 mins on the clock in a realtime game?
    Almost got the name. You misplaced the K. Anyways, to your question:

Mate someone with a K+B+N vs K? I learnt that several years ago, mated chessmaster and fritz, and the ICC computer with it several times and then never worried about it. The situation rarely comes up.

I don't play blitz so i'm not sure how I would get 2 mins on my clock. Plus we use increments at our chess club. But if you are talking about OTB then I use this formula, make sure you beat them in the middlegame and if that doesn't work then make sure I don't get stuck with a bishop and knight 🙂 Easiest way to achieve this is to trade off both your bishops or both your knights. Problem solved.

I'd like to see someone pull this off in 2 minutes though.
  2. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 03:17
    I was playing against a friend OTB and I had a knight, a bishop and a king and he only had a king. I think I was playing flawlessly except the fact that I took him to the wrong corner, i.e. colour of the corner was not that of my bishop! We used to play with the rule that if one side has only a king left, only 16 moves are given to the opponent to checkmate him otherwise its a draw..I know this rule is stupid and doesn't exist..but thus the game ended in a draw.
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 18:49
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I haven’t found any online resource which spells out the ideas behind this mating pattern, so I have chosen to do so myself, after playing my engine in this endgame about 100 times in the past couple of weeks. I haven’t read about this mate anywhere, so I welcome any constructive criticism which betters this tutorial. I may not explained some parts as wel ...[text shortened]... move the enemy king towards a light squared corner.
    3) Completing the checkmate.

TBC...

D
    I could be headed towards one of these... glad you wrote this thread ctrl+d time!

🙂
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 19:17
    Originally posted by rhb
    I could be headed towards one of these... glad you wrote this thread ctrl+d time!

🙂
    I'm afraid I have to say that the tutorial is mostly a waste of time, as the first step (which I pretty much left you up to yourself to do) is by far the hardest.

Instead of wasting your time on my tutorial, check out this page
    http://www.chessdryad.com/education/menagerie/, which is a much better and more comprehensive tutorial.

You can test yourself here then if you wish...
    http://www.chess-poster.com/chess_problems/mate_king_and_bishop_knight.htm#refresh

D
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 21:13
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'm afraid I have to say that the tutorial is mostly a waste of time, as the first step (which I pretty much left you up to yourself to do) is by far the hardest.

Instead of wasting your time on my tutorial, check out this page
    http://www.chessdryad.com/education/menagerie/, which is a much better and more comprehensive tutorial.

You can test yourse ...[text shortened]... ish...
    http://www.chess-poster.com/chess_problems/mate_king_and_bishop_knight.htm#refresh

D
    Ok - cool. Ta for the links... I've got a few pieces to try to remove first without losing any, otherwise the friendly arm of the draw offer will be extended.

A.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree