1. Joined
    22 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 00:23
    I'd just like to say hello. This is my first post on these forums.

What do you think about the Balogh Defense? Is it useful for black? I ask that because this defense is said to be risky. It goes like this:

1. e4, d6 2. d4, f5

I don't think it looks that bad. True, it exposes the king for black, but this can lead to great play.
  2. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 00:33
    Originally posted by chessmanme

What do you think about the Balogh Defense? Is it useful for black? I ask that because this defense is said to be risky. It goes like this:

1. e4, d6 2. d4, f5

I don't think it looks that bad. True, it exposes the king for black, but this can lead to great play.
    Reminds me a bit of the Dutch defence, the staunton gambit.
  3. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 00:35

1. e4, d6 2. d4, f5

The weakness of the Balogh Defense is that it can be lured onto the the Bridge of Khazad-dum where it is vulnerable to being cast down into the abyss.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 01:11
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    The weakness of the Balogh Defense is that it can be lured onto the the Bridge of Khazad-dum where it is vulnerable to being cast down into the abyss.
    Unless you reach for the anti-matter paddle and recant "Hiya wotha" in a welsh accent after six whiskey's?!
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 01:16
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    LOL
  6. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 16:09

1. e4, d6 2. d4, f5

I play it alot...as well as the PCG...which is a little more sound...but both open the position something fierce and are great for tactics

Dave
  7. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 18:15
    Keith Hayward plays the BCG sometimes, and has some games and material on his website:

http://www.geocities.com/drawyah/
  8. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:29

1. e4, d6 2. d4, f5

There may well be better lines but I suspect the simple

1. e4 d6, 2. c4 f5 (?! IMHO) 3. exf5

is good for White. E.g.

3. ... Bxf5
    4. Bd3 Bxd3
    5. Qxd3

Black's left with a backward pawn on the open e-file and has what looks to my eyes like a miserable game.

If Black doesn't swap bishops on move 4 he has to be careful of running into something nasty involving Qh5.

I'm sure the line doesn't lose instantly and any system that involves an early ... f5 will give good an active game against inaccurate play by White but it just doesn't look too reliable to me.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:38

1. e4, d6 2. d4, f5

Looks cool to me, but I'd probably play either a standard Dutch or Pirc over it.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:41
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    There may well be better lines but I suspect the simple

1. e4 d6, 2. c4 f5 (?! IMHO) 3. exf5

is good for White. E.g.

3. ... Bxf5
    4. Bd3 Bxd3
    5. Qxd3

Black's left with a backward pawn on the open e-file and has what looks to my eyes like a miserable game.

If Black doesn't swap bishops on move 4 he has to be careful of running int ...[text shortened]... n active game against inaccurate play by White but it just doesn't look too reliable to me.
    I looked through the website !~Tony~! gave and the author seems to think that 4...Bxd3 earns a dubious eval. Instead black could play 4...Qd7 which may offer a better game.

http://www.geocities.com/drawyah/BaloghEx.txt
  11. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:57
    Isn't 3.exf5 Bxf5 4.Qf3 good for white?
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 22:521 edit
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Isn't 3.exf5 Bxf5 4.Qf3 good for white?
    Seems fine for black to me:

1. e4 d6 2. d4 f5 3. exf5 Bxf5 4. Qf3 e6 5. Qxb7 Nd7
    6. Nc3 Bxc2 7. Bc4 d5 8. Bb5 Ngf6 9. Bxd7+ Nxd7 10. Qc6 Bf5

I'd say that if white really wants to challenge black in this line he should try 4.Bd3 Qd7 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.O-O when white's position doesn't look to have too many weaknesses, but I think it's quite playable for black.
  13. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 23:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Seems fine for black to me:

1. e4 d6 2. d4 f5 3. exf5 Bxf5 4. Qf3 e6 5. Qxb7 Nd7
    6. Nc3 Bxc2 7. Bc4 d5 8. Bb5 Ngf6 9. Bxd7+ Nxd7 10. Qc6 Bf5

I'd say that if white really wants to challenge black in this line he should try 4.Bd3 Qd7 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.O-O when white's position doesn't look to have too many weaknesses, but I think it's quite playable for black.
    Isn't 7.Nb5 good in this line?
  14. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 23:32
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Seems fine for black to me....
    I just checked 2004 megabase.

THere's only one game played by a person 2400+ as Black with this opening. I'm sure there's a reason for that.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 00:01
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Isn't 7.Nb5 good in this line?
    Looks pretty good, I'm not quite sure what black should do against that...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree