1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 00:02
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    I just checked 2004 megabase.

THere's only one game played by a person 2400+ as Black with this opening. I'm sure there's a reason for that.
    Sure, it's both risky and not "in style."
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 00:19
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Isn't 7.Nb5 good in this line?
    Ok, I used my old Fritz 9 to help me out a little, and it got itself into a draw by perpetual with:

6...Rb8 instead of capturing the pawn on c2, followed by the line:

7.Qxa7 Nf6 8.Ne2 d5 9.Nf4 Bd6 10.Bd3 Bxd3 11.Nxd3 O-O 12.O-O Qc8 13.Qa4 Ra8 14.Qb3 Rb8 =

Although there are ample spots to deviate, I think the position is complicated with a move like Rb8 that black still has enough chances.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 02:34
    I prefer this as black.

1. e4 g5 2. Any f5

However then I always lose to Qh5 😞
  4. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 09:10
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I looked through the website !~Tony~! gave and the author seems to think that 4...Bxd3 earns a dubious eval. Instead black could play 4...Qd7 which may offer a better game.

http://www.geocities.com/drawyah/BaloghEx.txt
    Tell Tony I am mad for giving out my buddy Keith's website

Dave
  5. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 09:32
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Sure, it's both risky and not "in style."
    I think you can say of the Alekhine, for example, it's risky and not in fashion at GM level ... but it still gets played (e.g. Carlsen against Topalov) and was played quite frequently in the past.

The almost total absence of 2. ... f5 in the database suggests something more to me than just not being 'in style' or even 'risky'.

It's simply not that good. No doubt still playable at club level though
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 11:09
    I went through a phase of playing this many years ago. However one evening in the pub a couple of stronger players found what seemed to be a complete refutation of it by fairly direct means and so I stopped playing it. I'll have a look later to see if I can remember it. I'm pretty sure it was based on 1.e4 d6 2.d4 f6 3.exf5 Bxf5 4.Qf3.
  7. The Hague
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 13:22
    Originally posted by Kilobyte
    I prefer this as black.

1. e4 g5 2. Any f5

However then I always lose to Qh5 😞
    Yes, you tried that one on me on the blitz-site... very interesting.
    What's the point, trying to show that one doesn't necessarily need to learn from their mistakes, or just trying to get the lowest possible RHP-rating ever?
  8. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 17:21
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Tell Tony I am mad for giving out my buddy Keith's website

Dave
    You might find this somewhat surprising, but I am literate, and now know that you're upset at me for posting Keith's Krap. 😀 I actually found that site a long time ago when I was looking into Bird's opening and was impressed that someone took the time to put all that on a website, and then recently went back to it because I've been playing the Dutch a little bit.
  9. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 03:27
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    You might find this somewhat surprising, but I am literate, and now know that you're upset at me for posting Keith's Krap. 😀 I actually found that site a long time ago when I was looking into Bird's opening and was impressed that someone took the time to put all that on a website, and then recently went back to it because I've been playing the Dutch a little bit.
    Was just kidding Tony...Keith is a great guy...have chatted with him on quite a few occasions and his site and analysis is awesome.

Was just trying to keep it quiet because people learn alot of what I play from that site!

LOL

Dave
  10. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 03:58
    Was just kidding Tony...Keith is a great guy...have chatted with him on quite a few occasions and his site and analysis is awesome.

Was just trying to keep it quiet because people learn alot of what I play from that site!

LOL

Dave
    I know you were kidding, I was too, whether or not it actually sounded like it! I wish more people had sites like Keith's. When are we gonna have a welcome back showdown? 😀
  11. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 07:48
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I know you were kidding, I was too, whether or not it actually sounded like it! I wish more people had sites like Keith's. When are we gonna have a welcome back showdown? 😀
    Dude...give me a little more time to get my rating close to yours...not too far now...but would hate to snag too many points off of ya!

Although I swear you have gotten alot better and have earned the respect of pretty much everyone on this site.

For that...I bow humbly

But will still slam ya on the board...lol

But then again maybe not...probably have to pull out something from my bag of tricks...lol

Dave
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 08:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 14:29
    Dude...give me a little more time to get my rating close to yours...not too far now...but would hate to snag too many points off of ya!

Although I swear you have gotten alot better and have earned the respect of pretty much everyone on this site.

For that...I bow humbly

But will still slam ya on the board...lol

But then again maybe not...probably have to pull out something from my bag of tricks...lol

Dave
    I've got a few tricks up my sleeve too. I eagerly await the RHP veteran showdown.
  14. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 14:33
    I just checked my history vs. Schliemann, and I score an incredible 1-22, and the one that I one was the last game we had in progress before you left, and wasn't actually a win. This situation has to be rectified.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree