Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member afx
    14 Dec '08 22:40
    I just saw, that inprob was banned.
    But he has 75 games in progress!
    So the sooner you recognise the ban and click on
    the timeout skull, the more points you got.

Thats not fair.
    Why cann't the admin stop all games of a banned player
    at the same time with the ban?
  2. 14 Dec '08 22:51
    They sometimes do, and sometimes they dont. I dont know what determines whether they allow somebodies rating to be completely gutted or kept intact, but it does happen.
  3. 14 Dec '08 23:02
    Originally posted by afx
    I just saw, that inprob was banned.
    But he has 75 games in progress!
    So the sooner you recognise the ban and click on
    the timeout skull, the more points you got.
    I doubt they can click on the skull. Usually when a player is banned, the games are frozen until they all get resigned automatically without changing the rating of either player (although as Tyrannosauruschex said, there have been cases in which the ratings were affected, but I suspect those few cases were glitches).
  4. 15 Dec '08 18:34
    The admins sometimes would completely kill off peoples ratings - for example when ironman31 got banned they absolutely blasted it right down to 500 and gave everybody a win against him. Now the trend seems to be to preserve them in the state they were banned in.
  5. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    16 Dec '08 00:09
    update on inprob: the games have been resigned, no rating points awarded.
  6. 16 Dec '08 00:25
    If one is playing against a player they suspect of cheating what would be the fun thing to do ?

A. Keep playing normally
    B. Take as much time as possible and maximize time bank to anger them
    C. Resign ASAP
    D. Play absurd and amusing moves since you will loose anyways
  7. Standard member Gatecrasher
    Whale watching
    16 Dec '08 04:27
    Originally posted by pijun
    If one is playing against a player they suspect of cheating what would be the fun thing to do ?

A. Keep playing normally
    C. Resign ASAP
    E. Take as much time as possible and hope they get banned.
  8. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    16 Dec '08 13:06
    Let me get this right. Everyone over 2k you suspect is a cheat apart from those four?!
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Dec '08 14:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Let me get this right. Everyone over 2k you suspect is a cheat apart from those four?!
    I think what she means is that she is not confident that other specific individuals are not cheats and so when playing against other very highly rated players she cannot assume she is playing against a person except against those people. I don't think she means that every other highly rated player is cheating.

Correct me if I'm wrong, oh, great clan leader.
  10. 16 Dec '08 15:41 / 1 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    As you're a member of Dune I am shocked at your lack of support for RHP's #1 rated player.
  11. 16 Dec '08 16:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think what she means is that she is not confident that other specific individuals are not cheats and so when playing against other very highly rated players she cannot assume she is playing against a person except against those people. I don't think she means that every other highly rated player is cheating.

Correct me if I'm wrong, oh, great clan leader.
    Hi stephen, you are somehow right.

But maybe i exaggerated a little, but i really am not trusting people going above 2k rating, and will suspect of him/her as a cheater. The people mentioned above, i have full confidence in, although i have friends above 2k but yet i can't be certain. With the number of bannings and cludi a game mod was a cheat himself explains it.
  12. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    16 Dec '08 16:50
    Unfortunately I can beat the only computer game I own (on maximum difficulty setting).
  13. 16 Dec '08 16:52
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I will not support anyone if I'm even 99.99% sure he/she is real.
  14. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    17 Dec '08 12:03
    Originally posted by Emashi
    Hi stephen, you are somehow right.

But maybe i exaggerated a little, but i really am not trusting people going above 2k rating, and will suspect of him/her as a cheater. The people mentioned above, i have full confidence in, although i have friends above 2k but yet i can't be certain. With the number of bannings and cludi a game mod was a cheat himself explains it.
    LOL. How idiotic.

So a person who worked his/her ass off at getting that good at chess is always suspect to you, but the cheater who is on his/her way up through the ranks with an 1800 rating is not?

Wonderful.
  15. 22 Feb '09 06:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by pijun

A. Keep playing normally
    C. Resign ASAP
    Pijun, when I figure my opponent is using an engine for making moves, I do NOT
    A- keep playing normally
    nor B- maximimize time to anger him or her,
    nor C -- resign because of it
    and never D -- never play absurd moves -->
    Because, there is no reason I "would lose anyway," as you phrase it.

Here's what to do:
    1) play strategically, especially in the phase emerging from middlegame to endgame, which is where engines generally are poor,
    2) try to gauge which engine you're opposing, and adjust accordingly -- since Crafty is poor, Shredder is worthless, Spike Turin strategically lacking, and Hiarcs very closely approximates a 1700-player's moves, for instance.
    3) if it's early in the game (or a rematch), push a wall of pawns at them, maybe a variation of Bird's Opening
    4) go for a mutually-assured-destruction position: Tempt the computer to come closer for a checkmate, distract its heavy pieces, but load up your own attacking pieces, so your own attack is one move closer to mating it than it is to you;
    5) exchange off or sac every piece that is not: 1) actively attacking, 2) supporting an attack, or 3) defending.

After all, a computer is more predictable than a person, and cannot resist the temptation when you invite it to come attack you; it's hairy, scary, on the edge, but it feels good when you can pull it off and mate the puter. I have.