1. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:011 edit
    I hope that anyone above 2000 will be investigated for engine use. Nothing is wrong with that; seems to be equivalent to doping tests of athletes.
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:10
    Originally posted by Katonah
    Good riddence to you also. Nice comment. Don't think you are not under scrutiny, you are above 2K the cut off line for the morons who have no understanding of chess. The site is being turned into a finite fraternity of blandness because of the constant implications of cheating.
    lol player over 2000 claiming leave me alone, I wonder why
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:11
    Good riddence to you also. Nice comment. Don't think you are not under scrutiny, you are above 2K the cut off line for the morons who have no understanding of chess. The site is being turned into a finite fraternity of blandness because of the constant implications of cheating.
    that makes no sense. lay off sniffing glue.
  4. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:24
    Why does it make no sense? Please imply your logic you who have cast the first stone!
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:29
    If there wasn't a lot of cheating on the site, people wouldn't have to "imply" that there is a lot of cheating.

Given the criteria the Game Mods use, the chance of a "false positive" is near zero. Honest players have no reason to fear their games being reviewed.
  6. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:30
    Why does it make no sense? Please imply your logic you who have cast the first stone!
    I'm not too sure about this, but to me, accusing everybody over 2000 for engine use is kind of unfair. First of all, they work hard to get above their 2000 benchmark, and instead of being welcomed with congratulations, they are accused. You cannot accuse someone over minor evidence such as their good. For example, if you see someone holding a gun, you cannot automatically accuse them for murder or such. They could be using a gun for innocent purposes. We don't need these mobs of accusations, whilst we cannot absolutely trust all 2000+s legitimately, it is like a few rotten eggs spoils the lot.
  7. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:52
    If there wasn't a lot of cheating on the site, people wouldn't have to "imply" that there is a lot of cheating?

This is what I love about this site accusations to deflect the fact that everyone owns an engine and doesn't want the rest to know. Nice try No1. I think everyone here should be branded a cheat. If they play E4 they cheat, D4 they cheat, Nf3 as white, booted immediately. I see no logic in these accuations but to bring down the site to a common denominator of; play good chess be a target to the jealous fringe.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 19:531 edit
    1. Good riddence to you also. Nice comment.

-what? you're upset because I don't care about people who have a problem with banning engine users and rather go to a site which is filled with them? makes no sense.

2. Don't think you are not under scrutiny,

-what? why the hell would I think I wasn't under scrutiny?? makes no sense, I'm sure I've been reported and checked many times already. I'm still here.

3. you are above 2K the cut off line for the morons who have no understanding of chess.

-what? why are you calling people under 2000 morons? and what the hell does that have to do with anything anyway?? makes no sense.

4. The site is being turned into a finite fraternity of blandness because of the constant implications of cheating.

-what? banning engine users (most of which don't post because they'd be caught the second they say something about chess) is making a site bland?? you think a site filled with them is more exciting and lively? makes no sense. - if anything, the policy of banning cheaters creates more drama.

-also, what the hell are you talking about casting stones? you think pointing out that most strong players would rather not play against engines is casting a stone? that's ridiculous.

so, as you can see, nothing you said made any sense.
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 20:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If there wasn't a lot of cheating on the site, people wouldn't have to "imply" that there is a lot of cheating.
    To my mind there are two possibilities.

1. The system works as advertised. This suggests that there are far fewer cheats than many people imagine.

2. The system does not work very well and fails to detect all but the most obvious cheats.

Either way, the general level of stress, suspicion and paranoia on this site could be considered failure. If the general level of cheating is actually low then something needs to be done to convince people of this fact. On the other hand, if the level of cheating really is high then the site's anti-cheating system needs an urgent rethink.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 20:211 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler

1. The system works as advertised. This suggests that there are far fewer cheats than many people imagine.

2. The system does not work very well and fails to detect all but the most obvious cheats.

Either way, the general level of stress, suspicion and paranoia on this site could be considered failure. If the g ...[text shortened]... level of cheating really is high then the site's anti-cheating system needs an urgent rethink.
    as I see it, most of the problems are created because action is not taken against known cheats. the baseless accusations on the other hand, are almost exclusively made by beginners who lost, or aggressive & clueless asshats who usually get kicked off themselves for abuse.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 21:04
    If there wasn't a lot of cheating on the site, people wouldn't have to "imply" that there is a lot of cheating?

This is what I love about this site accusations to deflect the fact that everyone owns an engine and doesn't want the rest to know. Nice try No1. I think everyone here should be branded a cheat. If they play E4 they cheat, D4 they cheat, Nf3 as ...[text shortened]... own the site to a common denominator of; play good chess be a target to the jealous fringe.
    Dozens of users are banned every year for cheating. While that hardly means "everybody is a cheat" it does imply that cheating is common here. The "logic" of the accusations is quite clear; people here don't want to play engines and don't like being cheated. It's hardly surprising that they would complain about it.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Feb '09 21:08
    Originally posted by Kepler

Either way, the general level of stress, suspicion and paranoia on this site could be considered failure. If the g ...[text shortened]... level of cheating really is high then the site's anti-cheating system needs an urgent rethink.
    Neither of those conclusions are necessarily true. The system "as advertised" is to remove only those cheats where there is overwhelming evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Naturally, if you adopt such a stringent standard only fairly obvious cheats will be removed. But that hardly means that there are fewer cheats than knowledgeable people here think.

I think claiming that there is "stress, suspicion and paranoia" here is a gross exaggeration. I think there is a realistic assessment of the level of cheating here by most players.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Feb '09 01:37
    Originally posted by Shamash
    Pijun, when I figure my opponent is using an engine for making moves, I do NOT
    A- keep playing normally
    nor B- maximimize time to anger him or her,
    nor C -- resign because of it
    and never D -- never play absurd moves -->
    Because, there is no reason I "would lose anyway," as you phrase it.

Here's what to do:
    1) play strategically, especially ...[text shortened]... ry, on the edge, but it feels good when you can pull it off and mate the puter. I have.
    This is total nonsense. Very strong players are able to trick engines into inferior lines by sacrificing a pawn or otherwise cause it to make a move horizon error, against the stronger engines this involves detailed knowledge of it´s position evaluation function and openings database. The latter is an especial target as engines fare badly during the opening due to the plethora of positions which are equal (the tree pruning algorithm can´t prune).

For what you are suggesting to work there has to be a serious bug in the position evaluation function. Playing for some kind of dubious counter-attack in the hope that you´ll checkmate it before it checkmates you will simply not work against an engine because it will avoid lines where it is checkmated when there is any less bad alternative.
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '09 01:47
    Originally posted by Shamash
    Pijun, when I figure my opponent is using an engine for making moves, I do NOT
    A- keep playing normally
    nor B- maximimize time to anger him or her,
    nor C -- resign because of it
    and never D -- never play absurd moves -->
    Because, there is no reason I "would lose anyway," as you phrase it.

Here's what to do:
    1) play strategically, especially ...[text shortened]... ry, on the edge, but it feels good when you can pull it off and mate the puter. I have.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who plays against Little Chess Partner at 1 second per move.
    🙂
  15. Chess Incubator
    Moves
    23 Feb '09 05:13
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    As you're a member of Dune I am shocked at your lack of support for RHP's #1 rated player.
    😛
    #1 is not in Dune any more.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree