1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 22:12
    No problem.
    Often you find that lower rated players move the same pieces over & over again in the opening.
    Try to get all your pieces working for you. Rooks are the last pieces to get into play, so castling early & clearing the back rank of bishops, knights & queen usually gives you a strong position.

Here's an ideal general set-up for white, with black having wasted several moves:

Black's has been over-cautious & his pieces are tripping over each other. White controls the center & has scope for making inroads into black's position.
  2. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 03:35
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    No problem.
    Often you find that lower rated players move the same pieces over & over again in the opening.
    Try to get all your pieces working for you. Rooks are the last pieces to get into play, so castling early & clearing the back rank of bishops, knights & queen usually gives you a strong position.

Here's an ideal general set-up for white, with ...[text shortened]... each other. White controls the center & has scope for making inroads into black's position.
    got it , so get my bishops out , get my knights in the usual position , castle . pull the rooks in next to eachother and get ready for battle.. the thing of it is ... in this set up it works because player opponent did not go for the center with his pawns?
  3. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 04:07
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch

[fen]2kr1b1r/1ppnqppp/p1bppn2/6B1/2BPP3/2N2N2/PPP1QPPP/3RR1K1 b - - 0 10[/fen]
    Blacks position isn't all that bad... Not good for a beginner but for someone who feels comfortable in a cramped position, as long as its blacks move, should be fine. IMO
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 04:122 edits
    It was intended purely as an example of basic principles.
    You're right - rarely will someone sit back & play so passively but it does happen.
    As long as you understand the basic principles; freedom of movement of pieces, control of the center, castling to safety, only a few pawn moves & not moving the same piece twice.

Check out this game Game 3584558
    At move 8 I have a similar position & go on to dominate because I can attack almost with impunity because I have central control, active pieces & a safe king.

There may be trouble ahead...
  5. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 04:19
    Yes, it is a great example of what to aim for. White has complete control of the board and the game. I'm just saying that many middle game positions are subjective. It's only a good position for white if he can make use of it and win with it.
  6. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 04:30
    Answering the thread question-

Pandolfini's endgame course- Brought me up to snuff on my endgames
    The complete book of chess strategy- Jeremy Silman- A great beginners book that goes over basic openings, all the middle game tactics, and basic and somewhat complicated endings.
  7. Standard memberStregone
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 04:57
    Originally posted by big bern
    thank you .
    A book I recommend is "First Chess Openings: The Easiest Introduction to Openings" by Eric Schiller.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree