Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 03 Jul '12 23:43
    what are the best opennings to look at to improve openning practise........eg karo cann, scicilian, colle, are ones i hear about a lot
  2. 04 Jul '12 00:42
    Originally posted by moggybogg
    what are the best opennings to look at to improve openning practise........eg karo cann, scicilian, colle, are ones i hear about a lot
    Colle is easiest to play as white I think but you still need to know what you are doing. As black try the scandinavian against 1.e4 and the Queens gambit declined. against 1.d4.
  3. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    04 Jul '12 05:04
    Originally posted by moggybogg
    what are the best opennings to look at to improve openning practise........eg karo cann, scicilian, colle, are ones i hear about a lot
    Get a book of Capablanca's best chess games and play through it. In doing so, you will be exposed to a variety of openings which will serve you well for improvement.

    You will see how the openings are played, be introduced to the middlegame plans placed into motion by said openings, and learn how to play the resulting endgames stemming from those openings, when they don't end with a middlegame attack.

    It will be time well spent.

    I should also add that I think a book of Karpov's best games would be an excellent, modern second selection as a follow up to the first.
  4. Standard member pdunne
    Badmaster
    04 Jul '12 07:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Colle is easiest to play as white I think but you still need to know what you are doing. As black try the scandinavian against 1.e4 and the Queens gambit declined. against 1.d4.
    "did you ever see a money examining a watch?"

    [http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter70.html]
  5. 04 Jul '12 09:06
    Originally posted by pdunne
    "did you ever see a money examining a watch?"

    [http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter70.html]
    Interesting site, not sure of the relevance of the quotation though.
  6. 04 Jul '12 14:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Interesting site, not sure of the relevance of the quotation though.
    It's supposed to be monkey not money, and it's a Steinitz quote.
  7. 04 Jul '12 15:25
    It's actually a quote by Ludolph Schüll! From the Liverpool Chess Club...