Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 10 Apr '07 16:17
    5 pawns down and kept getting move reminder messages.

Game 3346403
  2. 10 Apr '07 16:54
    I have none, because I'm a good sport and resign my lost games.
  3. 10 Apr '07 17:04
    well, I'm nice if my opponet is. He kept sending me rude messages to move faster, so thats that.
  4. 10 Apr '07 17:07 / 1 edit
    Not resigning against low rated players is fine, in no way is it not being a good sport, clearly they are at a low rating for a reason, perhaps it is because they have a bad endgame, who knows? But they in no way have they proven that they can win the game.
    Unlike higher rated players, who clearly can win the game, because they have the rating to match.

Anyway, I try to play out the endgame regardless, because I know so little about it, I'm currently reading Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the endgame.
  5. 10 Apr '07 17:13
    I agree, when you have a "lost" position, it falls on your opponent to proove they know how to get the win. When they OBVIOUSLY know the moves, then resign. But, if there is any chance that you might be able to salvage a draw, then keep playing. It is Chess afterall.
  6. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    10 Apr '07 17:15
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I have none, because I'm a good sport and resign my lost games.

D
  7. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    10 Apr '07 17:48
    Originally posted by veager
    5 pawns down and kept getting move reminder messages.

Game 3346403
    that was truly a gift from above
  8. 10 Apr '07 17:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by veager
    well, I'm nice if my opponet is. He kept sending me rude messages to move faster, so thats that.
    Oh...in that case, keep going!
  9. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    10 Apr '07 17:52
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    I agree, when you have a "lost" position, it falls on your opponent to proove they know how to get the win. When they OBVIOUSLY know the moves, then resign. But, if there is any chance that you might be able to salvage a draw, then keep playing. It is Chess afterall.
    However, when you are playing against competition 1700+ you have to assume they might know a little bit about the game. I may try a last ditch effort, but if it fails, I think it is a courtesy to resign a lost position to a superior player. I understand the fight to the end thing, but some of us are limited on the amount of games we can have going at the same time. Of course, that will be resolved shortly, in my case anyway.
  10. 10 Apr '07 18:19
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    However, when you are playing against competition 1700+ you have to assume they might know a little bit about the game. I may try a last ditch effort, but if it fails, I think it is a courtesy to resign a lost position to a superior player. I understand the fight to the end thing, but some of us are limited on the amount of games we can have going at the same time. Of course, that will be resolved shortly, in my case anyway.
    I understand, but the forced stalemate is really something to be proud of against a higher rated player who has you on the ropes. Almost as satisfying as a win. To swindle your opponent out of the point.
  11. 10 Apr '07 18:32
    I understand, but the forced stalemate is really something to be proud of against a higher rated player who has you on the ropes. Almost as satisfying as a win. To swindle your opponent out of the point.
    I wouldn't exactly call it a swindle. I'd say the guy just fell on his own sword.
  12. 10 Apr '07 19:13
    I resign when I realise I've done something so incredibly stupid that my whole plan has been compromised, and I will most likely lose due to the aforementioned stupid. But, saying that, playing for the stalemate or the draw is nothing to be ashamed of, I do it all the time in Blitz on FICS (mostly because my rating is such crap that a draw only benefits me.) So long as you don't play to lose, yer doing alright. To be in a losing position and have the other guy not win due to his own inability to finish it properly is great.

Sucks to be that guy, though... he should have won.
  13. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    10 Apr '07 19:16
    technically 1/2 a point. Your opponent doesn't lose, he just doesn't win either....although he may be considering new rental property at the bottom of the ocean.
  14. 10 Apr '07 23:23 / 1 edit
    drawing a lost position is good, but winning a hopeless position... omg. my g/f blundered this one:
    Game 3085199

edit: she thinks i'm mean, this is my worst to date:
    Game 3194888