07 Nov '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 03:29
    Dvoretsky or Muller.

Recommendations?
  2. washington
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 05:07
    silmans endgame book. Very well written and better than pandolfinis endgame book, with regards to the boring factor.
  3. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 05:37
    Silman's book is great and a lot of fun to read. I have heard that the two you mention are very good as well. I believe the Muller book is more of a reference with any endgame you can think of.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 09:01
    Originally posted by patzer2007
    Dvoretsky or Muller.

Recommendations?
    Practical Chess Endings by Paul Keres
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 16:27
    Dvoretsky or Muller.

Recommendations?
    Haven't read Muller but i'd definitely recommend Dvoretsky. 😉
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 17:241 edit
    Originally posted by kmac27
    silmans endgame book. Very well written and better than pandolfinis endgame book, with regards to the boring factor.
    I agree. Silman's book is excellent. I also agree with Boris Spassky however when he said: "Studying endgames is like quitting smoking, it's a smart idea, but not very enjoyable" 😏
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 22:058 edits
    Dvoretsky or Muller.

Recommendations?
    Jesus de la Villa: "100 Endgames You Must Know" ( New In Chess)

http://www.debestezet.nl/books/0588.htm

Excellent book, better and easier to study than Dvoretsky and Silman, because of the really cristal clear explanations.

Compare for instance the explanations of the checkmating with Bishop and Knight. Dvoretsky simply mentions the endgame and gives an example, while de la Villa explains in detail what to do and why.

The De la Villa book is the best for studying the practical endgame. The Dvoretsky book is more an encyclopedia ( ... so is Müller's by the way).

First study "100 Endgames You Must Know", then study Silman's "Complete Endgame Course" and if you want to study even more endgames and dive even deeper into them, buy Dvoretsky and Müller.

Beginners best start with Silman's book. He starts with the basic endings, such as queen vs king and rook vs king. More advanced players can skip the first chapters.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 18:22
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Jesus de la Villa: "100 Endgames You Must Know" ( New In Chess)

http://www.debestezet.nl/books/0588.htm

Excellent book, better and easier to study than Dvoretsky and Silman, because of the really cristal clear explanations.

Compare for instance the explanations of the checkmating with Bishop and Knight. Dvoretsky simply mentions the endgame and give ...[text shortened]... h as queen vs king and rook vs king. More advanced players can skip the first chapters.
    patzer is an 1800 here, I rather doubt he's a beginner. At my level I'm content with what I've gotten from Silman's book, but my goal for this winter vacation is to review in detail one game from Capablancas's best endgames by Chernov each day.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 18:37
    Dvoretsky or Muller.

Recommendations?
    I haven't read the müller book, but as dvoretsky just kills me with boredom, I'd rather pick müller. and if his book is anything like his dvds, it'll be much easier to digest.

I'm under the impression that both cover roughly the same material.
  10. Joined
    22 Nov '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 19:58
    Rueben Fine's Basic Chess Endings is always a must for the shelf.

i have heard good things about Dvoretsky
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 00:03
    Silman's is good if you want only one, and just need practical essentials.

Muller and Lamprecht has many nice features.

I use Dvoretsky more often than these two, however. There is not a better book on the endgame IMHO.
  12. Joined
    21 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 04:27
    I have Dvoretsky and found it slow read but very good. His exercises are never easy but they will not only improve your endgame but also improve your overall calculating ability (important for OTB play). I have four of his books and they are all excellent, albeit VERY HARD (for me anyway). I have to go through the Endgame one again sometime. There is just so much content.

I can also vouch for Silman's. If you've never done formal endgame study before I'd suggest reading Silman's first, then Dvoretsky.
  13. Joined
    07 Nov '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 14:48
    Thanks for the recs everyone. I think I'll choose Dvoretsky over Muller. And I'll also get the de la Villa. I wasn't aware of that one before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree