1. e4
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 01:481 edit
    Just posted the game and a had very quick look.

There was nothing really wrong with the way you played that opening.
    Good basic opening foundation Sound play, possibly a little tepid but I'm only posting the game so others can see it.

Why did you reject 5...Bxb4. (I'm seeing tricks for both sides.)

A slight mumble about 7....Bd3 (7...Be7) but the other lad looks like a good player.

Good game. Don't go running to the opening bookshop because you lost that one.

2. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 01:55
    Sorry not read all of this thread so apologies if this has been covered but the times I've faced an early b4 (or similar) its usually all about the other side hitting the pawn you would be defending on e5 by a knight on c6 with b5 so cover that threat, develop naturally and you shouldn't be in too much trouble is what I have found although from memory I do have one game on here where I got my a@@ kicked against an early wing attack...
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 02:091 edit
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    A friend of mine, who has a FIDE rating of around 2300, played this in a 4NCL game a few years ago:
    [pgn]
    1. b4 d5 2. Bb2 Qd6 3. a3 e5
    [/pgn]

I was impressed with the position he got out of the opening and have used it in blitz games ever since. I haven't tried it in a serious game yet because I meet 1.b4 so rarely.

My mistake, I had the move order ...[text shortened]... 2. Bg6 Ne7 73. Bh5 Nf5 74. Bg4 Ne7
    75. Bd1 Kf7 76. Bb3+ Kf6 77. Bc2 Nf5 78. Bb1 1/2-1/2
    [/pgn]
    I'm probably overlooking something, but why on move #78 did the bishop not take the knight? It appears white can promote the h pawn whether blacks king takes the bishop or not.
  4. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 03:10
    It was my 5th USCF rated game and I really felt overmatched and all over the place. The player had a rating of 1793p23 not sure what that means...all I know is that I felt very uncomfortable playing against this opening.
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 08:04
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I'm probably overlooking something, but why on move #78 did the bishop not take the knight? It appears white can promote the h pawn whether blacks king takes the bishop or not.
    I can only imagine that the last knight move didn't actually happen and was just the electronic board picking up the pieces being shuffled around in a post mortem. Sometimes you see a spurious Ke4 or Ke5 at the end of a game which is just one of the kings being placed in the centre to show the result of the game to the other players who may not have seen it finish (white king on e4 = white win, black king on e5 = black win, both kings on e4/e5 = draw).
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 10:08
    I can only imagine that the last knight move didn't actually happen and was just the electronic board picking up the pieces being shuffled around in a post mortem. Sometimes you see a spurious Ke4 or Ke5 at the end of a game which is just one of the kings being placed in the centre to show the result of the game to the other players who may not have seen it ...[text shortened]... finish (white king on e4 = white win, black king on e5 = black win, both kings on e4/e5 = draw).
    I don't know what you mean by an "electronic board". I assumed this was a recorded game between two players. The reason I'm puzzled by the game ending in a draw is because one of the players had a "FIDE rating of around 2300", and I assume his opponent was a strong player as well. If it was a blitz game then I can understand why a draw might be offered and accepted, because the players didn't have enough time left on their clocks to play it out or think it through.

I like correspondence chess because it gives me time to think, even though I rarely use that time wisely. I'm no good at speed chess because at some point I forget it's supposed to go fast, and will find myself staring at the board for too long.
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 10:22
    Electronic boards are often used at events where the games are shown in near real time on 'tinternet.
    e.g.
    http://digitalgametechnology.com/site/index.php/products/electronic-boards

Black's knight move is a very obvious blunder and I don't think Jonathan Rogers would have missed that he could have taken it, even if he had little time left. I'll email Matt (the player who was Black) and ask him.
  8. e4
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 10:533 edits
    Hi beauroberts

You came out of that opening OK. Bits out and castled.
    It was perhaps his pressing style that put you off.
    You did let him over run you a bit....call the tune.
    a6 followed by h6 is an indication once out of the opening you
    were not too sure what to do so you let him decide for you.

It's re-action chess. It's OK and can work if you play it soundly enough
    but you must be ready to seize a chance to get into the game at
    the right moment and fight for important squares.
    You just never seemed to get going.

That and the feeling of being over-matched (possible lost in the
    mind before 1.b4 was even played) is where the work is needed.
    It will come with more play, experience.

But your posted request is not needed, infact you could tell others on
    here how to play an opening.
    It's a common misconception, you lose a game so it must be have been the opening.
    Yes if you screw up the opening by faffing about before you are developed
    or castled. But that was not the case here.

Figured you were a newbie to tournament play.
    There is an error in the notation somewhere - else you reigned in a won position.

(I forgot to mention that last night - please tell me you never resigned in a won position.)

I think you have missed a move out, often happens when the position reaches the critical bit.
  9. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 12:56
    I would play e5 anytime again against 1. b4. It seems a logical move to me - gaining some center control while attacking the pawn. I played it in the following game. I think I had a solid opening, then gained the advantage, threw it away, before winning eventually anyway.

I left the b-pawn in peace for quite a while. When analysing the game with an engine however, they urge to take on b5 on almost every move.

10. e4
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 14:04
    Hi Fanakick.

Yes 1..e5 is good. It's what I do.
    But there again your 1.b4 player wll be booked up better on this move than 1...d5.

The solid 1...d5, Bf5 (Bg4!?) Nf6 and the e6 plan.

Means you do get in a e6 move with a gain of time on the b4 pawn.
    You get the same with 1...e5 but the e5 pawn also hangs and White
    gets play on the e-pawn.

It's an opening plan leading to a clean middle game.
    Black is equalising without effort.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 03:56
    Does anyone know the line where black sacs the h8 rook for a
    huge lead in development? (I think its this opening ....)
  12. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 08:01
    Maybe this one?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 04:13
    Maybe this one?
    [pgn]
    1. b4 e5 2. Bb2 Bxb4 3. f4 exf4 4. Bxg7 Qh4+ 5. g3 fxg3 6. Bg2 gxh2+
    7. Kf1 hxg1=Q+ 8. Kxg1 Qg5 9. Bxh8
    [/pgn]
    Wow. Who is better there?
  14. e4
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 10:12
    The people watcing the game as both sides appear to be lost. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree