Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    24 Feb '08 18:26
    Here you go brainiacs, tired of calculation confusion when the clock is tickling in OTB ? Here you go, some nice blindfold exercises !

    Do not cheat ;

    Torre-Wall: 1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.fxe5 ?
    Schiller-Pack: 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Ke7 3.?
    1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qc6 4.?
    1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nd7 3.Bc4 g6 4.?
    Welling-Veugen: 1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.c3 Nxe4 4.?
  2. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    24 Feb '08 18:31
    I am having really tough time with fourth exercise, I just can not visualise it or any weakness I could exploit..
  3. 24 Feb '08 18:34
    Here are my responses, I don't know whether they are legal or illegal but er well...

    Torre-Wall: 1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.fxe5 dxe5?
    Schiller-Pack: 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Ke7 3. Qxe5+?
    1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qc6 4. Bb5?
    1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nd7 3.Bc4 g6 4. d4?
    Welling-Veugen: 1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.c3 Nxe4 4. Qa4+?
  4. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    24 Feb '08 18:39
    Originally posted by ludz
    [b]Here are my responses, I don't know whether they are legal or illegal but er well...

    Schiller-Pack: 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Ke7 3. Qxe5+?
    b]
    that one would be mate
  5. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    24 Feb '08 18:43
    irontigran corrected the first anwser, as for 4. exercise I do not know either what is correct reply. All others are correct..
  6. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    24 Feb '08 18:56
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.d5 Bc5 4.Bg5 ?

    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.d5 Bb4 4.Nc3 d6 5.?
  7. 24 Feb '08 20:16
    where do you get these problems?
  8. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    24 Feb '08 20:22
    http://www.chessvideos.tv/chess-visualization-trainer.php

    Speed quizzes are pretty nasty too.

    I started to play those because I lack some visualization and calculation skills in otb. Hopefully this along with chess tactics server will turn me into tactical monster
  9. 24 Feb '08 20:25
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    http://www.chessvideos.tv/chess-visualization-trainer.php

    Speed quizzes are pretty nasty too.

    I started to play those because I lack some visualization and calculation skills in otb. Hopefully this along with chess tactics server will turn me into tactical monster
    ok thanks, they are nice.
  10. 24 Feb '08 23:22
    Calculation isn't my problem...the problem is that I get so into it and waste like 30 mins on a move
  11. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    24 Feb '08 23:32
    i was suprised how quickly i got this one
    Reinle-Neureiter: 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 g6 3.Nd5 Ne7 4.?
    but went the wrong way on this
    Georgy-Veremeichik: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.Bf4 cxd4 4.Nxd4
  12. 25 Feb '08 17:27
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Calculation isn't my problem...the problem is that I get so into it and waste like 30 mins on a move
    I guess calculating quickly and systematically is one of the most important aspects of calculation ability. so it may actually be your problem.
  13. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    25 Feb '08 22:58
    Originally posted by ludz
    Here are my responses, I don't know whether they are legal or illegal but er well...

    Torre-Wall: 1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.fxe5 dxe5?
    Schiller-Pack: 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Ke7 3. Qxe5+?
    1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qc6 4. Bb5?
    1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nd7 3.Bc4 g6 4. d4?
    Welling-Veugen: 1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.c3 Nxe4 4. Qa4+?
    Torre-Wall: 1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.fxe5 dxe5?

    3...Qh4+ is much stronger. 4.g3? Qxe4+ picks off the Rh1. White has to make do with the ugly 4.Ke2.

    1.e4 d6 2.Nf3 Nd7 3.Bc4 g6 4. d4?

    4.Bxf7+!! Kxf7 5.Ng5+ Kf6 [all other moves lose the Queen to 6.Ne6] 6.Qf3+ Kxg5 [again assuming that Black tries to not lose the Queen, or get mated in one] 7.d4+ Kh4 8.Qh3#

    I agree with your other 3 answers.
  14. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    25 Feb '08 23:01
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.d5 Bc5 4.Bg5 ?

    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.d5 Bb4 4.Nc3 d6 5.?
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.d5 Bc5 4.Bg5 ?
    4...Ne4! and if 5.BxQ Bxf2#

    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.d5 Bb4 4.Nc3 d6 5.?
    5.Qa4+ picks off the Bishop. wPd5 rules out ...Nc6.
  15. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    25 Feb '08 23:05
    Originally posted by irontigran
    i was suprised how quickly i got this one
    Reinle-Neureiter: 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 g6 3.Nd5 Ne7 4.?
    but went the wrong way on this
    Georgy-Veremeichik: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.Bf4 cxd4 4.Nxd4
    i was suprised how quickly i got this one
    Reinle-Neureiter: 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 g6 3.Nd5 Ne7 4.?

    4.Nf6#! Yeah, seems pretty easy.

    but went the wrong way on this
    Georgy-Veremeichik: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.Bf4 cxd4 4.Nxd4

    4...e5 5.Bxe5 Qa5+ looks winning, unless there is a trick I missed.