1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 16:021 edit
    I love playing blitz, I love it, love it, love it, 10-15 min rated games, but dear
    friends, there is simply no consistency, one minute i can be defeating someone 400
    points above my rating, another times i am getting beaten up by persons 400 points
    below my rating. I read somewhere that in blitz, its not a question of making good
    moves, but avoiding making bad ones. What is the secret to playing solid chess, any
    advice, do tell, for i perceive an unwillingness to take my opponents plans into consideration, but thats just the start!
  2. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 17:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I love playing blitz, I love it, love it, love it, 10-15 min rated games, but dear
    friends, there is simply no consistency, one minute i can be defeating someone 400
    points above my rating, another times i am getting beaten up by persons 400 points
    below my rating. I read somewhere that in blitz, its not a question of making good
    moves, but ...[text shortened]... rceive an unwillingness to take my opponents plans into consideration, but thats just the start!
    I personally hate blitz, there is no time for deep ideas, but if you want to improve your game.

1.Learn a weird-ass, yet somewhat sound opening. Blitz is a game of intuition and reaction. Players with good opening prep are good players in blitz, if they've studied the lines used in the game. Study something not as popular as like the Nimzowitsch gambit against the french, the center game, the scotch gambit, or something of the like. The key is to find something most players aren't booked up on, and become an expert on it.*

2.Practice tactics, but not hard ones. Blitz is about fast reaction. I can't tell you how many games I've lost on time in a winning position. Make a study of simple one-move blunders, and two-move tactics. Try to burn patterns in your memory, so you don't have to rely on deep calculation*

3.Make a study of every game you play. Most blitz players make the mistake of immediately seeking another game after they win or lose one. Do not do this if you want to be good. Study every blitz game you play and find the decisive moment where you or your opponent lost. Find a better line, and keep it in mind*

*Blitz is useful mostly as a time-management tool to develop intuition, if you're serious about real chess, just don't play it unless you have to. I personally hate playing fast games, but some of my club mates refuse to play games slower than 10 min, therefore I have to play it occasionally.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 19:34
    moves, but ...[text shortened]... rceive an unwillingness to take my opponents plans into consideration, but thats just the start!
    I would make sure I played faster than my opponent.
  4. under your bed
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 20:57
    Just play 1min or 3mi nChess - nowt better for reinforcing opening theory.. :p

In one hour I can play over 10 different openings in 30 odd games.

Of course your end game might suck if you only ever do that but once you have an advantage in opening carried into the middle game, at our level its most often lost OTB in middle game anyway..
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 03:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I would make sure I played faster than my opponent.
    your time will soon be up already Ronald! cause your teas oot!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 03:19
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    I personally hate blitz, there is no time for deep ideas, but if you want to improve your game.

1.Learn a weird-ass, yet somewhat sound opening. Blitz is a game of intuition and reaction. Players with good opening prep are good players in blitz, if they've studied the lines used in the game. Study something not as popular as like the Nimzowitsch gambit ag ...[text shortened]... mates refuse to play games slower than 10 min, therefore I have to play it occasionally.
    I love it, but not too fast, its amazing how much thought one can pack into ten
    minutes! It seems to there are two camps those that play as if it were a game of
    Fischer random, and those who play solidly. My own preference is for something bullet
    proof, just to get my pieces out against almost anything my opponent plays and watch
    them trying to find something to attack when there is nothing. The most annoying are
    people who leave you to watch the clock tick because they are in a poor position, and
    those people that can use nothing but there queen for cheapos, and those people who
    play 3..Bc4 against the Sicilian indicating that they haven't a clue and yet still manage
    to win some games, they are the worst! I play the Sicilian because of my higher
    principles, not to have it butchered by some ingrate!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 03:19
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Just play 1min or 3mi nChess - nowt better for reinforcing opening theory.. :p

In one hour I can play over 10 different openings in 30 odd games.

Of course your end game might suck if you only ever do that but once you have an advantage in opening carried into the middle game, at our level its most often lost OTB in middle game anyway..
    na nothing under ten for me,i do like to pretend to think 😉
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 04:16
    I love it, but not too fast, its amazing how much thought one can pack into ten
    minutes! It seems to there are two camps those that play as if it were a game of
    Fischer random, and those who play solidly. My own preference is for something bullet
    proof, just to get my pieces out against almost anything my opponent plays and watch
    them tryin ...[text shortened]... play the Sicilian because of my higher
    principles, not to have it butchered by some ingrate!
    3... Bc4 in the sicilian can transpose you know.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 04:27
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    3... Bc4 in the sicilian can transpose you know.
    yeah it can transpose into the bishop getting hit after ...a6 ...b5 or ...e6 ...d5 or all of them!
  10. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 04:50
    sicilian? 1 c4....

Q
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 05:03
    yeah it can transpose into the bishop getting hit after ...a6 ...b5 or ...e6 ...d5 or all of them!
    If you play 3...e6 I'll just continue on with 4. d4... in blitz many will try to transpose now but never played a sicilian with an early ...e6 or they will get themselves into trouble after playing 4... d5.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 05:09
    If you play 3...e6 I'll just continue on with 4. d4... in blitz many will try to transpose now but never played a sicilian with an early ...e6 or they will get themselves into trouble after playing 4... d5.
    d4 smee four, cxd4 thankyou i have two central pawns you have one, i live, you may survive, but if you dont kill me, its over!
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 05:11
    d4 smee four, cxd4 thankyou i have two central pawns you have one, i live, you may survive, but if you dont kill me, its over!
    Nxd4 and you're on the path to transposition!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 05:132 edits
    ...a6 and ....b5 and its over! the numberer of bishops i kicked back to d3, e2 is
    unbelievable, sometimes they try to hide in the corner, on a2, and occasionally it back
    fires and i get caught out in the ensuing complications. I love Blitz.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 05:20
    actually it has just occurred to me watching some games, chess is all about mobility,
    thats it, i was struck by these guys, they always had squares for their pieces to go to,
    everything was flexible, we get into trouble when the mobility of our pieces is
    restricted, the more we cannot get mobility, the more we suffer, stay mobile! that's the
    secret me thins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree