1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 13:331 edit
    I don't think there is a blitz room as such, all the time controls are lumped together. I play anything from 3 minute to 15 minute with any increment which isn't too silly. I like the interface, the moves are easy to make and I don't feel like I'm wasting 10 seconds a move just by picking up the piece and plonking it onto its destination! No pre-moves, but to be honest I think they're a bit unfair anyway; you don't get those in real chess.

Edit: Sorry, I've realised that you were asking about the blitz room on RHP. I can't use that at work even if I wanted to.
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 13:38
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I don't think there is a blitz room as such, all the time controls are lumped together. I play anything from 3 minute to 15 minute with any increment which isn't too silly. I like the interface, the moves are easy to make and I don't feel like I'm wasting 10 seconds a move just by picking up the piece and plonking it onto its destination! No pre-moves, but ...[text shortened]... that you were asking about the blitz room on RHP. I can't use that at work even if I wanted to.
    You dont have premoves in otb blitz but the clock is delayed so it amounts to the same thing except you dont drop your rook in an endgame because your opponent played a ridiculous move knowing you were premoving.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 14:05
    Sorry, I didn't play this here, but I like the ending (move 18). (Of course my opening with black set chess back a couple hundred years.)

4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    26 Mar '15 03:311 edit
    We are in the room....

I won my game.... but truly I lost:

37 was a real blunder, so the game was good until that move....we have just 1 min for a time control of 5/0
  5. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    14 Apr '15 19:45
    Lost in time!!
  6. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 21:23
    the answer is 44 Ra1!! and black lost the queen

white lost in time
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 06:16
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    the answer is 44 Ra1!! and black lost the queen

[pgn]
    [Event "Blitz Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.RedHotPawn.com/Blitz"]
    [Date "2015.4.15"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Schlecter"]
    [Black "Huges"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    1. d4 d5 2. e3 e6 3. c4 c6 4. a3 Bd6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Nf3 f5 7. Be2 Nd7 8. Qc2 Ngf6 9. Bd2 O-O 10. h3 Ne4 11. O-O Rf6 12. c5 Bb8 13. Bc1 Qc7 14. b4 ...[text shortened]... 7 39. Qc1 Rfb8 40. Rg2 Qb3 41. Rf2 Be8 42. Rb1 Bh5 43. Qc3 Qa2 0-1
    [/pgn]

white lost in time
    44.Ra1 doesnt win the queen though.
  8. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 11:181 edit
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    44.Ra1 doesnt win the queen though.
    Indeed. Quite apart from 41. ... Qc4, which just saves the queen and leaves him a piece up, Black can also play 41. ... Rxb2 and get a rook and a bishop for the queen. Here is one possible finish:
  9. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:30
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Indeed. Quite apart from 41. ... Qc4, which just saves the queen and leaves him a piece up, Black can also play 41. ... Rxb2 and get a rook and a bishop for the queen. Here is one possible finish:
    [pgn]
    [FEN "rr4k1/6pp/2p1pn2/2Pp1p1b/3P1P1P/2Q2PPK/qB3R2/1R6 w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]

{--------------
    r r . . . . k .
    . . . . . . p p
    . . p . p n . .
    . . ...[text shortened]... play
    --------------}
    1. Ra1 Rxb2 2. Rxa2 Rbxa2 3. Rxa2 Rxa2 4. Qb3 Bg4+ 5. fxg4 fxg4#
    [/pgn]
    in this variant 4 could be white to move 4.g4.... to stop the checkmate
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 00:532 edits
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    in this variant 4 could be white to move 4.g4.... to stop the checkmate
    Yes, but that will not save white from defeat.

11. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    20 Apr '15 16:273 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Yes, but that will not save white from defeat.

[pgn]
    [FEN "6k1/6pp/2p1pn2/2Pp1p1b/3P1P1P/2Q2PPK/r7/8 w - - 0 1"]
    1. g4 fxg4+ 2. fxg4 Bxg4+ 3. Kg3 Ne4+ { and the Q falls }
    [/pgn]

[pgn]
    [FEN "6k1/6pp/2p1pn2/2Pp1p1b/3P1P1P/2Q2PPK/r7/8 w - - 0 1"]
    1. g4 fxg4+ 2. Kg3 gxf3
    { Threats: 3...Ne4+ and 3...Rg2+ followed by 4...Bg4#. There is no good defense. }
    [/pgn]
    Actually I realized that my blitz skills are pretty bad, I play better in the correspondence modality, but in blitz I feel there are some "secrets" to be a winner.
    -
    In a web page I found some advice.... let see if this is true: (IMPORTANT: this is for 5 min or less)
    -----
    1) Knights are better than Bishops is Blitz, because in short time is very difficult to see what a knight is doing

2) Know by hearth 2 or 3 openings

3) Check as much as you can

4) Blitz is decided by blunders, not by tactics or strategy

5) Small boards in the screen are better than a big one, just to move the pieces as faster as you can.

6) People is aware of their own game and never have time to think what the opponent is doing

7) attack 2 different squares in the board.

8) Close opening are better than open in blitz (to avoid tactics)

9) Have a good mouse helps to control the pointer (cursor) in the screen,
    (laser mouse is very bad)

and so on.....
    http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Blitz-Chess

but this is better:
    https://gameknot.com/room-fm.pl?home=2&th=745

just a quote of the long discussion:
    ".... 2.SMALLER tactical combinations are what you must seek,like 1 or 2 move combinations...not some long 4 or 5 tactical combination that will cost you too much time in a 2 to 4 minute game(some 5 min.games as well).So,just because you have an initiative advantage does not mean that you will have a winning tactical combination.This is where having the initiative gets confused with tactical advantage. ......

........8.Coordinating your pieces to work together to control more squares is vital. Hedgehog setups I find work great. ......

"
  12. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    20 Apr '15 20:44
    I never play 1 or 3 minute games. No time to think, it comes down to who's faster, not who's better.
  13. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    20 Apr '15 22:121 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    I never play 1 or 3 minute games. No time to think, it comes down to who's faster, not who's better.
    That's the point!!
    Blitz and correspondence are two different games.
    Some people think that correspondence chess is not real chess.
    and the same for blitz...always people said? Is this chess??????

So chess has to be OTB.... 2 to 4 hours.

This is the REAL REAL REAL chess.
    The other are just chess variants.
    Correspondence chess has its own rules, tricks, etc...

In 1 min bullet chess..... the rule is: "Who is better with the mouse".

But some people feel very comfortable in something between 10 min and 1 hour. Now there are other time controls.... for example a fixed time for the next move.... 5 min to answer.....no more....or this Fischer compensation is also very popular like 10/2.

Now.... less than 10 min..... well the time is the principal factor. 10 min is still a decent time to play for fun....... 5min!!.... ummmm is ok, but time flies..... 3 or 1 min..... this is not chess....

Just a remark... I have noticed that many people is addicted to play blitz, in the chess.com profiles, you can see people playing just blitz but not correspondence, but the interesting is this.... they don't move in rating.... so I found players with thousand of games, but a rating of less than 1100 .... why???

So playing a lot of blitz is not significant in rating
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 01:451 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    That's why the bullet and blitz rating charts at popular servers aren't topped with GMs and IMs.

Oh, wait.... 😛

Edit: plus, being faster IS being better.
  15. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 20:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That's why the bullet and blitz rating charts at popular servers aren't topped with GMs and IMs.

Oh, wait.... 😛

Edit: plus, being faster IS being better.
    Internet sites don't have GM or IM but my only point of reference is chess.com.
    -
    They have the opposite case, the GM, IM...etc., don't play correspondence chess..., they just play bullet chess......

Actually many chess champions are good at blitz and bulled versions....

now they play form 3 min to 10 min.....

I have never heard about 1 min chess masters........

------
    lichess.org??? I don't know too much about them, but it seem another site to play blitz but not correspondence.

the thing for me is: Why people plays 2000 or 3000 games and have a rating of less than 1100???? That is insane.

So playing a lot of games don't help to improve the understanding of chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree