1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 01:04
    I hate blitz - especially on Playchess. The number of games I've lost that weren't my fault is absurd, misclicks lag when people's songs come on, etc. I think I'm done with it.

>🙁

Anybody think blitz is good for chess development?
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 01:08
    blitz is not about win lose, unlike here, just practice on quick thinking..
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 01:09
    Originally posted by Ramned
    blitz is not about win lose, unlike here, just practice on quick thinking..
    So...it's useless?
  4. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 01:25
    Don't think winning or losing in blitz too seriously. It's just for fun, not like standard or correspondence. I hate to lose too. Just say "gg" and go on to another game until you get sick of it. It's like eating candy. Playing random games of blitz isn't likely to improve your chess any either. I've played people in standard otb chess who play thousands of blitz games. You can tell by the quality of their moves. They are fidgety, play quick regardless of the time available. They choose immediate threats over long term strategic advantage. When behind they throw pieces at you in hopes of confusing the situation, but rarely succeed.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 02:42
    Blitz is useful.

provided of course you don't fall for its charms in all your other games.

say you had a 90 0 game... your a move 55, good position but with 3 min on the clock.

^ only your blitz skill, (or their resignation) could ever win that game.

but to spend 10 sec on a move, when you have 30 to spare is like dancing with the devil -- you'll be the one to lose.

Blitz can also be useful for opening practice. playing several games (in this line) at blitz can give you a much better idea of what to expect than 1 single long game.
  6. back in business
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 07:10
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I hate blitz - especially on Playchess. The number of games I've lost that weren't my fault is absurd, misclicks lag when people's songs come on, etc. I think I'm done with it.

>🙁

well YES.
  7. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 17:46
    I think blitz is good for practicing the same opening many times.. I know some higher rated players who have played the same opening against eachother over and over until they have a very good understanding of it.

Maybe it can also help you to play well under time pressure and find tactics quicker.. But for the overall improvement of one's game, I think slow games are better. Of course, a mix is probably best, with weight on slow games.
  8. Missouri, USA
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 18:04
    Play blitz or speed chess for fun and don't invest your ego in it. You can learn and remember if positions achieved are favourable...Taking time to reason is a important aspect of chess as in anything else..
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 21:151 edit
    Originally posted by Pattrick06
    Play blitz or speed chess for fun and don't invest your ego in it. You can learn and remember if positions achieved are favourable...Taking time to reason is a important aspect of chess as in anything else..
    This thread was just helping me vent - I lost nearly 200 points on my blitz rating last night, didn't help that my mouse broke.

However my slow rating went up - woo 1665.
  10. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 00:49
    tried blitz out for the first time in my life. not a huge fan games go to fast to think. and really strategize or learn from. maybe im just bitter cause i won 2 and lost 2.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 14:37
    This thread was just helping me vent - I lost nearly 200 points on my blitz rating last night, didn't help that my mouse broke.

However my slow rating went up - woo 1665.
    Because my ego invests in my online blitz rating, when I get within one or two wins of a new personal high, I usually miss the wins and drop 100-200 points over the course of an evening.

Then, to cure the hangover, I drop more the next morning.
  12. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 19:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Because my ego invests in my online blitz rating, when I get within one or two wins of a new personal high, I usually miss the wins and drop 100-200 points over the course of an evening.

Then, to cure the hangover, I drop more the next morning.
    Haha, so true. My blitz rating started at about 1500 when I started playing on ICC a couple years ago, and now it hovers between about 1800-1975, and for some reason every time I get ridiculously close to 2000, I drop all the way back down.
  13. over there
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 20:07

>🙁

I don't think it has really helped or hurt my game. I play it because it is fun. I play on Playchess as well and there are a lot of time players, especially in bullet. Don't worry about them. About people's songs, just mute your computer. Misclicks happen to everyone at some point. Lag can really piss you off and the best thing to do is just put your opponent on your ignore list if they are a lagger so you don't have to put up with them again. Blitz is played fun and you shouldn't take it seriously.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 21:23
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Haha, so true. My blitz rating started at about 1500 when I started playing on ICC a couple years ago, and now it hovers between about 1800-1975, and for some reason every time I get ridiculously close to 2000, I drop all the way back down.
    I don't play blitz, but experience the exactly same thing on CTS... I think it's about two things: 1) losing some of your focus because you become aware of the possibility of breaking the record, and 2) playing past your performance peak, continuing to reach for the higher record even though the mental fatigue doesn't really allow it anymore.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 23:40

>🙁

Me thinks blitz is useful.:🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree