Blitz

Blitz

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
22 Nov 06

Originally posted by Gizmo28
Me thinks blitz is useful.:🙄
Your rating says otherwise. I'm pretty bad at blitz though, so I may be biased...

My PC ratings

Slow:1687
Blitz:1411
Bullet:1419

The low time controls are significantly lower.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
11 Dec 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Your rating says otherwise. I'm pretty bad at blitz though, so I may be biased...

My PC ratings

Slow:1687
Blitz:1411
Bullet:1419

The low time controls are significantly lower.
Got to 1903 in blitz on playchess today.

My best so far.

Took me a month after I fell from 1894 to climb over 1900.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
11 Dec 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
I hate blitz - especially on Playchess. The number of games I've lost that weren't my fault is absurd, misclicks lag when people's songs come on, etc. I think I'm done with it.

>🙁

Anybody think blitz is good for chess development?
Blitz hepls you think quickly.

Useful OTB. Not much use here.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Dec 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Got to 1903 in blitz on playchess today.

My best so far.

Took me a month after I fell from 1894 to climb over 1900.
fell again ... and got back up

1900 was hard to reach, but now 1918 (and more climbing planned tomorrow)!

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
13 Dec 06

What's your repertoire, wulebgr? Does it differ from what you play here at RHP. I (who stink at blitz) do sicilians, albin countergambit, evan's gambit--riskier and more off the wall variations than i'd dare to play here.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by buddy2
What's your repertoire, wulebgr? Does it differ from what you play here at RHP. I (who stink at blitz) do sicilians, albin countergambit, evan's gambit--riskier and more off the wall variations than i'd dare to play here.
I play pretty much everything, including the bizarre Fried Fox opening (1.f3 2.Kf2). However, I play the French and Semi-Slav in the majority of my blacks, as here. In blitz as white, I play 1.e4 more often than I do here.

I enjoy complex positional games at 3 0 and have scored many upsets with the Catalan.

Blitz is smoke and mirrors (and effective time management).

W
Angler

River City

Moves
14 Dec 06

fell again ... and got back up

1900 was hard to reach, but now 1918 (and more climbing planned tomorrow)!
When I reach such a peak, I should quit. But, as a blitz addict, I try for more and fall from grace. After ups and downs, I'm back over 1900 again (temporarily).

FL

over there

Moves
14 Dec 06
1 edit

My bullet climbed to 2055 and blitz to 1859 after some time using the CTS.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
14 Dec 06

I think its basically for entertainment rather then skill development

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
15 Dec 06

It's all entertainment or we wouldn't be here or else RHP would pay US for playing!

W
Angler

River City

Moves
15 Dec 06

Originally posted by buddy2
It's all entertainment or we wouldn't be here or else RHP would pay US for playing!
Falling to 1797 after reaching 1918 is not entertainment; it is the evidence that I stink at blitz and know next to nothing about this great and glorious game.

z

Moves
15 Dec 06

Anybody think blitz is good for chess development?[/b]
yes ...

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
15 Dec 06

Falling to 1797 after reaching 1918 is not entertainment; it is the evidence that I stink at blitz and know next to nothing about this great and glorious game.
so you think. I can't blitz past 1200 on fics, and we're about the same level here. maybe those (tens of?) thousands of blitz games you've played against my 137 games count for something after all. 🙂

it sure is a totally different game from slow chess. I've played blitz for a week now, and I'm only starting to realize how different it is. it appears my whole approach to chess isn't valid with blitz. I drive the game into positions I'm used to solving with time and coming out better, but without the time the outcome is completely random. I might just as well flip a coin for who's going to drop something. none of my strategical or positional insights matter until I get used to the limits blitz has.

my openings are usually superior to my peers, I get good activity, but then collapse in a position I know I could easily win against a lot stronger opponents here. any tips? just play a couple of hundreds of games more and it'll come together?

one rather surprising thing I've noticed in blitz is that pawn structure seems to have a lot more punch. create a passer or a potential one, and the opponent is in huge problems. I would've thought that pawn play would be next to irrelevant in blitz.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
15 Dec 06

Originally posted by wormwood
so you think. I can't blitz past 1200 on fics, and we're about the same level here. maybe those (tens of?) thousands of blitz games you've played against my 137 games count for something after all. 🙂

it sure is a totally different game from slow chess. I've played blitz for a week now, and I'm only starting to realize how different it is. it appears my ...[text shortened]... uge problems. I would've thought that pawn play would be next to irrelevant in blitz.
All I know is that I play ten games, winning 1, drawing 1, and losing the rest, and I know I lack understanding of the game (or my opponents are chess gods).

z

Moves
15 Dec 06

I lvoe blitz. The only thing that it has helped me with is to access tactical threats quickly.