1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 18:55
    Blitz is good. Correspondence playing is good. otb is good. Of course, it's more fun if you win, but you can't win all the time or it wouldn't be a game and nobody would do it. Sure, you get frustrated if you don't play up to level, but there's always the next game and it's always there. As a wise man once said, the journey is more important than the destination. for some good ideas read "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" excellent book which has nothing to do with chess (or motorcycles for that matter) and everything to do with it (and motorcycles).
  2. over there
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 20:28
    I believe playing blitz helps some, but think. 3 min games vs. 90 min games. You learn more from a 90 min game because it's 30 times longer. Also, you have more time to think. Blitz you are relying on your tactical skill and pattern recognition a lot more than anything else. With slow games, you need to use all of your knowledge.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 21:47
    I don't think Blitz faster than 10 min will help at all in the long run. However' I've seen myself benefit from a large quantity of 10 0 games. It has improved my pattern recognition for some tactical and strategical motifs. However, the way to win is still often just preserving your material and letting your opponent blunder.

After getting to about 1600 blitz, I don't think there is really any benefit outside of testing new ideas. But that's just my impression. And you know I often refer to blitz as "junk chess." The McDonald's of the chess world if you will. I for one, still prefer a restaurant and that's why I play standard most of the time.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:14
    "Ignorance is blitz" - Anon.

Blitz is about the only form of chess I play these days. My strategy is to make bad moves quicker than my opponent!
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:36
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    "Ignorance is blitz" - Anon.

Blitz is about the only form of chess I play these days. My strategy is to make bad moves quicker than my opponent!
    Amen
  6. over there
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 01:53
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Falling to 1797 after reaching 1918 is not entertainment; it is the evidence that I stink at blitz and know next to nothing about this great and glorious game.
    That happens with blitz though. Your rating goes up and down. If you look at people's charts on playchess, they are like roller coasters. Everyone has win streaks, and losing streaks.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 04:29
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    That happens with blitz though. Your rating goes up and down. If you look at people's charts on playchess, they are like roller coasters. Everyone has win streaks, and losing streaks.
    yep, like mood swings.

😲
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 12:35
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    yep, like mood swings.

😲
    I only have losing streaks... 😞
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 12:47
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I hate blitz - especially on Playchess. The number of games I've lost that weren't my fault is absurd, misclicks lag when people's songs come on, etc. I think I'm done with it.

>🙁

Anybody think blitz is good for chess development?
    See Thread 58312 I would have thought you were at least 1600 on playchess. Blitz and bullet are just a matter on nerves.
  10. over there
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 02:20
    Just dropped to 1700. How disappointing.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 02:31
    Originally posted by z00t
    See Thread 58312 I would have thought you were at least 1600 on playchess. Blitz and bullet are just a matter on nerves.
    Well my slow rating there is about the same. You can check it for yourself if you're that curious, I haven't logged on in about a month. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree