1. Joined
    11 Aug '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 17:101 edit
    Is there a block list that I can put a player on so that I never have to play them again?

Sorry - found out.

BTW, don't you just think that people should resign when they're 10+ points of material down with no counterplay?
  2. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 17:32
    Yes.Once, I had to play a game till 60 moves to win,even though my opponent had zero counterplay. But, on the other hand its a good exercise.Did we find the best way to finish a game? Did we miss a stronger move?
  3. Lagos
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 18:18
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    Yes.Once, I had to play a game till 60 moves to win,even though my opponent had zero counterplay. But, on the other hand its a good exercise.Did we find the best way to finish a game? Did we miss a stronger move?
    If he had zero counterplay it shouldn't have taken so long.
  4. Joined
    05 Jul '09
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 18:20
    Originally posted by lordgledhill
    BTW, don't you just think that people should resign when they're 10+ points of material down with no counterplay?
    No I do not.I believe you must give your opponent every chance to go wrong.You owe it to the game.

Vishy,wouldn't you agree that the fact you needed 60 more moves to win proves your opponent still had chances?
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 18:57
    I think that if it is absolutely hopeless: i.e. you are sure there is no chance that any strategy/trick you employ could work then you should resign:

Game 6484872

However if you have some sort of tentative unlikely idea that has even a small chance of working its worth playing on, however far behind you are:

Game 3315078

Obviously the strength of the other player will affect your chances.
  6. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 19:02
    I don't think so either. I think it is opponent's right to play on. What if I'm trying to learn something from such positions that are difficult to defend?
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 19:421 edit
    Yes there is an ignore option, look under "My home" -> "My ignore list". And yes just move the pieces around and be happy. 🙂
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 21:32
    Is there a block list that I can put a player on so that I never have to play them again?

Sorry - found out.

You could still end up with them in Clan games or tournaments.

Make sure your clan leader knows you do not want to play the person in question!
  9. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 23:26
    It doesn't bother me at all if someone doesn't resign. I don't know them from Adam, so I don't know their reason for playing on. Let me tell a short story. I blundered my Queen in the endgame and I chose to play on. I chose this route because I kept noticing chances my opponent may go wrong and place me in Stalemate. I purposely was moving my King to squares, which gave my opponent a chance to go wrong. Who knows, maybe my opponent would have moved too quick and instead of a loss, I have a draw. Sounds good to me. After the game my opponent was not pleased with my stubbornness to resign. I don't have a problem with the players who do not resign lost games. What I do have a problem with is players who complain about them. In my opinion, the players who complain don't have the confidence to win and so they want the easy victory my wanting their opponent to resign instead of proving they can win won games. It's all within the rules, just play chess and don't worry so much about it.

Keep in mind, I’m talking about the Amateur level. It’s quite different at the GM level when you know your opponent is most likely good enough to carry home the victory. It’s not so simple on this website where you don’t know most of your opponents. If you don’t like your opponent playing on in lost positions, then play games which the time control is less so it doesn’t bother you as much. Rules are rules.

I have done both. I have played on in lost positions and I have resigned. It all depends on my feelings at the moment and whether I feel there's a chance my opponent will blunder.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 23:341 edit

Sorry - found out.

definitely.
  11. USA
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 03:52

Sorry - found out.

I have an amusing story to relate to this. A long time ago (about three years to be precise) when I was rated around 1200 USCF, I was playing a 1300 USCF player and was up a piece. I then found a Rook sacrifice which would force my opponent to get mated or lose a queen. The time control of this game was G/150, and both of us had about two hours left. He studied the position for 5 minutes, realized he was completely lost, and instead of playing one of the two forced moves or resigning, he got up from the board. With his clock still running, he went to look at some other games, chatted with some friends, and went to the vending machine. Irritated, I got up and began watching games while standing next to him, hoping this would make him go back to the board and make his move. Instead, he continued watching for half an hour and finally returned to the board. He resigned, saying, "I didn't want to wait out the full two hours, because that would be rude".
  12. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 17:19
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I have an amusing story to relate to this.... realized he was completely lost, and instead of playing one of the two forced moves or resigning, he got up from the board. ... He resigned, saying, "I didn't want to wait out the full two hours, because that would be rude".
    In UK tournaments, you're not allowed to leave the board on your move .. you're certainly not allowed to wander off and chat to people, for obvious reasons! I'm a little surprised this rule isn't standard everywhere.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree