1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 06:16
    I mostly play on FICS, and with friends. But I have some serious problem with concentration with blunders and dropping pieces when I play blitz games (less then 15 minutes). So, even if my rating is estimated around 1500 for standard games, I often lose even from some who has 1200 or less when it cames to blitz games. Any of you guys faced the similar problem? What is your advice to improve my skills in this aspect of chess?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 06:28
    Don't think once - think twice.
  3. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 07:55
    Well, on a small time limit, you don't have enough time to think twice. My advice is practice, practice and once more practice. Everything comes with experience. The more you'll play blitz, the less you'll drop pieces.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 08:05
    With 'think twice' i mean that you give it a blundercheck right before you actually grab the piece, and perhaps a final one right before you put it on the square.
    Especially if you are blunder prone another thought is adviceable.
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 08:10
    Ok, I understood it as going through the combination you're thinking of twice. But giving a blundercheck is useful always. Of course, if you're playing blitz on 1 min, then you don't have even enough time for that.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 08:341 edit
    If you look at 99% of Players at FICS you will notice their blitz rating is always 2 or 300 pts below standard.

as example: - My best standard=1800
    My best blitz = 1500

so, A 1500 losing to a 1200 in blitz sounds about right to me...and I'd bet money that those 1200's your playing, if you looked at their profile, would have a standard rating somewhere near to 1500.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 08:381 edit
    I noticed that some people play blitz at 1 minute per game.

At that time limit you don't have time to think once let alone twice. The game becomes a lottery as even GMs will make serious mistakes at that sort of limit and in the end the winner is usually decided on time regardless of what pieces are left on the board. Often this depends on who has the fastest internet connection or the best accessories enabling them to move quick - in my opinion it is not chess at all.

Choose a blitz time limit that actually gives you sufficient time to think twice. I find 5 (or even 3) minutes plus 5 seconds a move achieves this pretty well. After 20 moves you can actually have 5 minutes left, right when you need it most and in the ending a few obvious quick moves gets you a breathing space so you win on skill not time.

Edit: My blitz rating is 300 points above my normal grade (OTB) so the previous posting is not strictly correct. Blitz can help you manage time trouble better in full length games OTB.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 08:50
    that's one thing I've been wondering about: where do the points go? I mean, I see no reason why the blitz ratings should be lower, yet they clearly are. the way I see it, there should be an equal amount of people who have 200-300 higher blitz rating compared to standard, but I haven't really met any. for every dropped piece someone wins the points, so dropping pieces doesn't really explain why blitz ratings are lower either. where do the points go?
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 09:19
    Originally posted by wormwood
    that's one thing I've been wondering about: where do the points go? I mean, I see no reason why the blitz ratings should be lower, yet they clearly are. the way I see it, there should be an equal amount of people who have 200-300 higher blitz rating compared to standard, but I haven't really met any. for every dropped piece someone wins the points, s ...[text shortened]... es doesn't really explain why blitz ratings are lower either. where do the points go?
    I belive the awnser to that is rather simple.

its because Blitz has a bigger pool of players than standard.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 09:22
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire

Edit: My blitz rating is 300 points above my normal grade (OTB) so the previous posting is not strictly correct. Blitz can help you manage time trouble better in full length games OTB.
    I was refering specifically to standard and Blitz FICS ratings, not OTB, FIDE, or any other organisation.
  11. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 10:31
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Blitz can help you manage time trouble better in full length games OTB.
    Maybe, but the main objective must be to avoid time trouble in the first place… prevention, not cure.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:09
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I belive the awnser to that is rather simple.

its because Blitz has a bigger pool of players than standard.
    I don't get it. how should the size of the pool affect ratings? if anything, a (relatively) bigger influx of newbies should bias the rating towards 1500...
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:16
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I don't get it. how should the size of the pool affect ratings? if anything, a (relatively) bigger influx of newbies should bias the rating towards 1500...
    I'm not really the one to ask -- But I'm sure someone at FICS will be able to help.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:26
    I'm not really the one to ask -- But I'm sure someone at FICS will be able to help.
    I wish they had a web page for this sort of things, and to announce things. like the relaying of major tournaments which seems to occur totally unannounced. at least I haven't found a place which would give that sort of information in advance... if you don't play there daily, you won't know if a tourney is going to be relayed.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:34
    I was refering specifically to standard and Blitz [b]FICS ratings, not OTB, FIDE, or any other organisation.[/b]
    Excuse my ignorance but who or what is FICS? Is this a blitz web site that is worth while exploring? If so how about a link to it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree