1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:451 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Excuse my ignorance but who or what is FICS? Is this a blitz web site that is worth while exploring? If so how about a link to it?
    FICS is like ICC, or playchess...but better (because its 100% free)

heres the link to that: -
    http://www.freechess.org/

and if you decided to sign up I also suggest:-
    http://www.babaschess.net/

^^ which links you to a download, babas is an excellent chess client for use with FICS -- much better than that jin applet crap.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:49
    Originally posted by Shinidoki

^^ which links you to a download, babas is an excellent chess client for use with FICS -- much better than that jin applet crap.
    Thanks I will have a look at it. As I know OTB my rating is 300 points higher for blitz than normally timed games it will be interesting to see if I hit 2100 there or only 1500 (that might settle the debate)
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 11:58
    Free internet chess server. You can play online real-time games and tournaments with java, or you can download interface. Then even have chess lectures
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 12:01
    Thanks I will have a look at it. As I know OTB my rating is 300 points higher for blitz than normally timed games it will be interesting to see if I hit 2100 there or only 1500 (that might settle the debate)
    there is a "surveybot" at FICS -- its sole purpose is to try and find a reliable formula for converting OTB ratings to standard FICS ones.

its findings seem to suggest that FICS ratings are lower than FIDE.

so, a server 1700 player should be closer to 1900 FIDE -- that is of course, if surveybot has any credability to its work. (which I honestly doubt)

so....bascially what I'm trying to say is, you propably won't hit 2100 blitz.
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 12:03

Isn't jin the best interface for Fics? What is that babas thing?
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 12:11
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Isn't jin the best interface for Fics? What is that babas thing?
    there are several usable clients.

the mains ones are:-

A) Jin
    B) Winboard
    C) Babas

personally i have a strong dislike for jin - becuase to get a game I have to be a programmer first, not only that, it actaully takes a long time to load on my computer.

winboard i havn't used.

and then we have Babas, which is downloaded (thus, no loading times) and basically it is just a very user friendly cleint full of nice little features
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 12:24
    there are several usable clients.

the mains ones are:-

A) Jin
    B) Winboard
    C) Babas

personally i have a strong dislike for jin - becuase to get a game I have to be a programmer first, not only that, it actaully takes a long time to load on my computer.

winboard i havn't used.

and then we have Babas, which is downloaded (thus, no loading times) and basically it is just a very user friendly cleint full of nice little features
    Thanks for the information. What I detest when a play Jin is that I can't save PGN files. So I'll try to use that other interface
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 12:32
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Thanks for the information. What I detest when a play Jin is that I can't save PGN files. So I'll try to use that other interface
    With babas you can.....

and not only can you save pgn files you can save them by your oppenant (so a whole file full of Shini vs Bigdave another shini vs. smallblingblingdave) or, by type (blitz is one file, standard another) or by date (all the game you play on 21/10/11 will be in that file, while all the games played on 22/10/11 will be stored in another file)
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:02
    that might be a bit of a strech (not much), but FICS is free.

I wouldn't even touch jin or winboard/xboard (as fics client) after using babaschess. it's simply superior in every way, and best piece of chess related software I've come across.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:08
    With babas you can.....
    wow, you've really been busy on FICS, if you're 'shinidoki' there as well! 2174 blitz games, 3199 standards and a couple of hundreds of other games as well. 🙂
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:10
    As a plus, I presume at blitz it is virtually impossible to use an engine so you are guaranteed to be playing against a human opponent.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    wow, you've really been busy on FICS, if you're 'shinidoki' there as well! 2174 blitz games, 3199 standards and a couple of hundreds of other games as well. 🙂
    yes.... thats me.

I just fingered myself:-

Total time online: 53 days, 23 hrs, 17 mins
    % of life online: 17.8 (since Wed Nov 2, 06:58 PST 2005)

^^ so yes, I have been very busy -- 20% of my life busy.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:48
    As a plus, I presume at blitz it is virtually impossible to use an engine so you are guaranteed to be playing against a human opponent.
    I'm not sure on that -- there are computer accounts for blitz, so its possible. (but i think they use a certain interface)

however, ...if you had fritz running in the background, and you kept on alt-tabbing then playing the moves yourself, you would most certaintly have a very low blitz rating.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 13:51
    yes.... thats me.

I just fingered myself:-

Total time online: 53 days, 23 hrs, 17 mins

^^ so yes, I have been very busy -- 20% of my life busy.
    plus 20% sleeping;
    20% having sex;
    20% eating.

when do you get to earn a living?
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 14:12
    that's like 5h of FICS daily, on average! 😀 well, I guess many of us are pretty obsessive with RHP too (4-6h daily for me) or CTS (2-3h)...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree