1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 17:08
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Not a puzzle book, but how about winning chess tactics by Yasser Seirawan?
    Everyone raves about this book & while it is good, I personally prefer Understanding chess tactics by J. Nunn.
    The examples seem more real & the learning curve & exercises progress more logically to me.
    The two together make a good double-act.
    Sierawan has a casual, chatty approach (but I found 1/2 the book I only looked at once - the famous chess tacticians for example) whereas Nunn gets down to business in a more workmanlike, though still accessable way.

*expects flaming*
  2. washington
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 17:31
    i didn't really study endgames till 1600. silmans endgame book can help you with some concepts you can even use in the middle game that you learn in his endgame book. tactics and endgames are probably the most important as long as you know the basic opening principles.
  3. washington
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 17:32
    attacking chess with josh waitzkin is very discriptive and has helped me dramatically. hes an attacking player so he shows how he used agressive tactics to win games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree