Moves
    18 Jan '07 16:05
    "The mammoth book of Chess" by Graham Burgess
    "Bobby Fischer's outrageous chess moves" by Pandolfini
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 17:07
    Originally posted by mfoolb
    Well then.. any suggestion for the tactics puzzle book(s)?
    As I posted earlier...
    Reinfelds 1001 Winning chess sacrafices and combinations
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 17:17
    Hi,

I'm a new chess player and subscriber to RHP.

I've started playing a couple of months ago (I already knew basic chess) and I'm rated around 1300 after about 70 games.

I'd like to stop 'blundering' and that is only on my side.. and I'd like to buy some books to start studying chess in the right way. What do you think of this list I was able to com ...[text shortened]... your kindly responses.

Ciao.

P.S.
    Ok I know.. I shoud improve my english too! 🙂
    read Reassess now, then amateur's mind (and reread reassess) when you get better

put My System in the closet and stay away from it for now and just throw dvoretsky's in the trash, you'll never get through it.
  4. back in business
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 17:32
    Originally posted by zebano
    As I posted earlier...
    Reinfelds 1001 Winning chess sacrafices and combinations
    waste of money.

coz all the puzzles are online and can be solved for free
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 05:28
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    and just throw dvoretsky's in the trash
    You're kidding, right? This is arguably the best single volume endgame book ever published. While it is true that much of the material is advanced well beyond you and I, the book is designed with this fact in mind. The way it is structured, weaker players like us can study the tips and highlights to grasp the concepts, and move on to the more advanced and detailed material when we are ready (if that day ever comes). This is a book that can grow with you, and will probably never be outdated.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 05:51
    Originally posted by BLReid
    You're kidding, right? This is arguably the best single volume endgame book ever published. While it is true that much of the material is advanced well beyond you and I, the book is designed with this fact in mind. The way it is structured, weaker players like us can study the tips and highlights to grasp the concepts, and move on to the more advanced and det ...[text shortened]... at day ever comes). This is a book that can grow with you, and will probably never be outdated.
    I say trash the book because nobody in their right mind would EVER finish that thing. You'll read 20 pages then get sick of it and wonder why you bought it. True, it is a great endgame manual, but it's a totally impractical thing to read.

"throw it in the trash" was an exageration (excuse my poor spelling) What I meant was to simply stay away from the book.
  7. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 05:56
    I say trash the book because nobody in their right mind would EVER finish that thing. You'll read 20 pages then get sick of it and wonder why you bought it. True, it is a great endgame manual, but it's a totally impractical thing to read.

"throw it in the trash" was an exageration (excuse my poor spelling) What I meant was to simply stay away from the book.
    Fair enough. As an alternative, Pandolfini's Endgame Course is a VERY basic alternative, but useful as a primer on endgames. I've also heard many good things about Fine's book, but haven't had a look myself.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 05:59
    (relatively) basic endgame seems to be enough in 99% of situations (imo)

what's the point in trying to memorize a 30 move line of Rook + 3 pawn endgame?
  9. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 06:06

put My System in the closet and stay away from it for now and just throw dvoretsky's in the trash, you'll never get through it.
    What?
  10. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 09:23
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Yes it is. The material is different though, he gives sort of a mechanical way of playing, ie, dont move a pawn more than twice in the opening, avoid pawn grabbing, that sort of thing...
    You read only fisrt half of My system. 🙄
  11. Joined
    23 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 09:28
    Well, as always asking suggestions about books to a lot of people you don't know makes choosing more difficult than easier.

Anyway at the moment I think I'll stick to my list.. and anyway are there any better deals then Amazon to buy them new?

Grazie.
  12. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 17:17
    Well, as always asking suggestions about books to a lot of people you don't know makes choosing more difficult than easier.

Anyway at the moment I think I'll stick to my list.. and anyway are there any better deals then Amazon to buy them new?

Grazie.
    Usually Amazon is the best deal. Esp with the free shipping. Some of the older books can be gotten very cheap on half.com
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 17:22
    I've been reading Turning Advantage into Victory in Chess by Andrew Soltis recently and enjoying it greatly. Lot of great endgame knowledge in that book and VERY easy to read. I'll have to put up a book review when I am done.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 17:28

I have close to 1000 books on my shelves that I will never finish (including Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual), but if you trash any of them, I'll break your arms, your children's arms, their children's arms, ... (metaphorically speaking, of course).
  15. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 18:28
    Put all the books you mentioned in your original post on the bookshelf and wait until you have done more basic books. Way too advanced. My rating is 1950ish here and I consider those to be stuff I would read to improve. You will get frustrated because your results will not match the amount of work you are doing, imo.

Seirawan's Winning series would be right on the money, I think. I do like Reinfeld's 1001 tactics also, and they are cheap.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree