1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 15:02
    You do not want to set up board? Don't. Follow it mentally, if you can. Otherwise, set up the board.
  2. Joined
    21 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 15:40
    I highly recommend this book--Chess Training Pocket Book: 300 Most Important Positions and Ideas by Lev Alburt. I admit that it does have a ridiculous cover, ridiculous enough to put off people from buying it but...

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Training-Pocket-Book-Important/dp/1889323144

Edit: If you do decide to buy it, REMEMBER TO BLOCK OUT THE COVER!!
  3. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 18:01
    Originally posted by Papyn Chase
    I highly recommend this book--Chess Training Pocket Book: 300 Most Important Positions and Ideas by Lev Alburt. I admit that it does have a ridiculous cover, ridiculous enough to put off people from buying it but...

What, you mean you don't have a hot blonde looking over your shoulder whenever you set a board up?
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 20:28
    Originally posted by Papyn Chase

I'm sure it's an excellent book, but I used to be a USCF expert and I couldn't solve the vast majority of the positions that I tried to solve. So, if you want really hard problems, then this is the book for you!
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 22:49
    Originally posted by Bluecristallknight
    Reinfeld - 1001 Chess sacrifices and combinations.

Are the solutions in there not just the moves but also explanaition? I know about theorie but I need a book to practice tactis like everyday with the diagramms in there and the solutions moves+explanaition

By the way does anyone know if there is kind of chess newsletter by email with a tactical problem everyday or something like that?
    Have you tried using any of the tactics servers?
  6. Everyone's Clan
    Moves
    21 Dec '07 21:57
    So do you think the problems in the Book are too hard? What about Polgars 5334 Chess Problems and combinations (http://www.amazon.de/Chess-5334-Problems-Combinations-Games/dp/1579125549/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1198274129&sr=8-2)

Does anyone know something about that one?

At the moment I started with winning chess tactics for theorie but I need a puzzle book to practice what I learned 🙂
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '07 23:20
    So do you think the problems in the Book are too hard? What about Polgars 5334 Chess Problems and combinations (http://www.amazon.de/Chess-5334-Problems-Combinations-Games/dp/1579125549/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1198274129&sr=8-2)

At the moment I started with winning chess tactics for theorie but I need a puzzle book to practice what I learned 🙂
    I've only glanced at the Polgar book, but it seems to me that many of the positions are super simple (a lot of mate-in-one problems). I haven't read the book, but I got the impression that there weren't many problems more difficult than mate-in-three. It's also quite bulky, so it's not like you could carry it with you on a bus very easily.
  8. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '07 09:28
    Hello guys,

I am searching for a good chess book to improve my play, but the book should be usable without being in front of a board. That is where the problem starts 🙁...cause I got now time to set up the board and practice in front. I want to use a book without the help of the board. I got a couple of good books like "My System", " Winning c ...[text shortened]... em because of no time to set up a board while reading. So can anyone of you help me out?!
    If you can afford it, get a little hand held chess computer. I think there are some out there for $100 or thereabouts. Or if you have a handheld general purpose computer, get a computer chess program for it.

It's good for following books for two reasons: 1. It is more convenient than a board - you can use it in bed or on a train, for example, which is plainly not true of a board; 2. After following a variation, you can backtrack more easily than with a board.

I use Pocket Grandmaster on my Pocket PC. The free trial version is all you need - it switches the engine off after 8 moves or so, but that doesn't matter if you just want to use it for analysis in engine-off mode.
  9. Standard memberelohiym chanan
    under construction
    presently mired...
    Moves
    22 Dec '07 17:32

I've got that one; it has 306 mate in one problems, 3412 mate in two, 744 mate in three, 600 "mini" games, etc. I received it as a gift last year, but have never devoted much effort to it, my results offer proof of that 😉. That being said you certainly don't need a board for the mate in "x" diagrams, but you would for the rest, and as mentioned it is a bit ponderous to lug about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree