1. Everyone's Clan
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 20:51
    Hello guys,

I am searching for a good chess book to improve my play, but the book should be usable without being in front of a board. That is where the problem starts 🙁...cause I got now time to set up the board and practice in front. I want to use a book without the help of the board. I got a couple of good books like "My System", " Winning chess tactics/Strategies" or "how to reases your chess" but I can't use them because of no time to set up a board while reading. So can anyone of you help me out?!
  2. Joined
    22 Nov '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:03
    I can not really imagine how to read a chess book w/o some sort of chess set to follow the moves. I used to use a miniature board while travelling by train in the past. This might help, as it is easy to use while reading. But for real studying, as well as analyzing, I use two (regular size) boards (one for the initial position and one to analyze variations). Sorry if this is not of any use to you, but to me it seems almost impossible to study chess, or read books (unless it is tactical training: mate in two, mate in three, etc.) w/o using a board.
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:07
    Books like this are limited because it forces you to play "blindfolded", without sight of the board and hold variations in your head. Most of us aren't very good at that. Books on tactics and mates quizes may help since they often include board diagrams. Try "Winning Chess How to See Three Moves Ahead" (Chernev & Reinfeld). A book with a list of general guidelines may help get them into your head, but they won't make total sense until you play them OTB. Try "The Tao of Chess 200 Principles" (Kurzdorfer)
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:32
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Books like this are limited because it forces you to play "blindfolded", without sight of the board and hold variations in your head. Most of us aren't very good at that. Books on tactics and mates quizes may help since they often include board diagrams. Try "Winning Chess How to See Three Moves Ahead" (Chernev & Reinfeld). A book with a list of general g ...[text shortened]... total sense until you play them OTB. Try "The Tao of Chess 200 Principles" (Kurzdorfer)
    I saw "The Tao of Chess 200 Principles" in Barnes & Noble earlier this week, and almost purchased it. It looks like a really good book, and I believe it's only $9.95. I (stupidly) bought a non-chess book instead. 🙁
  5. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 21:381 edit
    😲

There are non-chess books?

Thats funny cause all i ever see are chess books.
    I didn't know they had "other" books....
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 22:38
    Originally posted by Bluecristallknight
    Hello guys,

I am searching for a good chess book to improve my play, but the book should be usable without being in front of a board. That is where the problem starts 🙁...cause I got now time to set up the board and practice in front. I want to use a book without the help of the board. I got a couple of good books like "My System", " Winning c ...[text shortened]... em because of no time to set up a board while reading. So can anyone of you help me out?!
    Understanding Chess Tactics by Martin Weteshnik is designed to be read without a board.
  7. Bartow, FL
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 02:27
    There are several tactics books that won't require a board. If your looking for a middlegame/stategy book, I would recommend Sunil Weeramantry's Best Lessons of a Chess Coach . It is a great book, and he never goes more than two or three moves without showing a board. This is the first book I acutally read cover-to-cover becaue I could carry it in my pocket whereever I went. Check out reviews on Amazon for it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 13:48
    Hello guys,

I am searching for a good chess book to improve my play, but the book should be usable without being in front of a board. That is where the problem starts 🙁...cause I got now time to set up the board and practice in front. I want to use a book without the help of the board. I got a couple of good books like "My System", " Winning c ...[text shortened]... em because of no time to set up a board while reading. So can anyone of you help me out?!
    if you have no problem sitting in front of a computer for hours, then in this site " http://www.gambitchess.com/ ", you can find the collections of positions from chess books -and a lot of them!-. you probably would find what you are looking for here.

note: there aren't the books themselves. they don't contain any text. they just do what you would have to do to go through the book using a board.
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 14:49
    Hello guys,

apparently there's a book called understanding chess tactics which was originallly written in German and has recently been translated to English.
    I've never read it but one of the guys on here Ragnorak i think, was singing it's praises in a recent thread.
    It's supposed to be a Modern classic and can be read without a board.
  10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 15:061 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Everyone's Clan
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 18:58
    Thanks guys for the useful tips. I will take a close look at it and will check some of your suggestions on amazon. I really would like to improve but I simply got the problem that I don't have the time to set up a board and spend hours in front of it 🙂. I want to carry the book in the pocket and everytime I got a free minute I want to pracice a bit.
  12. USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 02:04
    Hello guys,

You could try using a computer program to play through the positions- much less of a hassle when setting up positions

The only books I can think of is Lev alburts Chess Openings for Black Explained (and the corresponding book for white)- but if you only study that, I'd doubt it'd do you any good.
  13. Everyone's Clan
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 20:12
    Does anyone in here know the original German title of "Understanding chess tactics"?
  14. Everyone's Clan
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 13:20
    Reinfeld - 1001 Chess sacrifices and combinations.

Are the solutions in there not just the moves but also explanaition? I know about theorie but I need a book to practice tactis like everyday with the diagramms in there and the solutions moves+explanaition

By the way does anyone know if there is kind of chess newsletter by email with a tactical problem everyday or something like that?
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 14:241 edit
    Hello guys,

I am searching for a good chess book to improve my play, but the book should be usable without being in front of a board. That is where the problem starts 🙁...cause I got now time to set up the board and practice in front. I want to use a book without the help of the board. I got a couple of good books like "My System", " Winning c em because of no time to set up a board while reading. So can anyone of you help me out?!
    Understanding Chess Tactics by Weteschnik.

[EDIT]Oops, Should have read the thread. Great rec by Kepler.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree