1. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 May '07 18:58
    With most chess books, you need a chess set (or computer) to follow the moves on, if you want to get any real value out of them. But a few of them can be followed without a chess set, because they have so many diagrams. I find this very helpful, as I only find time to read on the train or in bed, neither of which are great places to push pieces around a board.

Can anybody recommend books which meet this criterion? My own pick would be Andrew Soltis' "How to Choose a Chess Move". You can read this without a set, because it focuses on specific positions, rather than whole games, and therefore the initial diagram is usually enough. And where the lines do get deep, he adds a new diagram.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    17 May '07 18:58
    Pandolfini's endgame course.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '07 19:22
    "how to reassess your chess workbook" by silman.
  4. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    17 May '07 19:241 edit
    The Amateur's Mind by Silman also works well without a board.
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    17 May '07 20:05
    Any book that consists of middlegame puzzles.
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 20:24
    "Pandolfini's Ultimate Guide to Chess." Warning: for the beginner.

Question about Andrew Soltis' "How to Choose a Chess Move": Is this a good book? This is what I am always up against in games: Just how do I best go about thinking about this position and choosing my next move? Any book recommendations that answer this question would also be helpful. Thanks.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '07 20:421 edit
    Originally posted by basso
    "Pandolfini's Ultimate Guide to Chess." Warning: for the beginner.

Question about Andrew Soltis' "How to Choose a Chess Move": Is this a good book? This is what I am always up against in games: Just how do I best go about thinking about this position and choosing my next move? Any book recommendations that answer this question would also be helpful. Thanks.
    I'd recommend kotov's "think like a grandmaster", which emphasizes on the thinking process as in the title, but it's more about how to handle variations.

again, silmans "how to reassess your chess" has a page or two where it lists the recommended steps when it's your turn to move.

edit: actually since it's not even a whole page, I thought it might be misleading to recommend that book for only that purpose. here's the whole part:

1)figure out the positive and negative imbalances for both sides.

2)figure out the side of the board you wish to play on. you can only play where a favorable imbalance or the possibility of creating a favorable imbalance exists.

3)don't calculate! instead, dream up various fantasy positions, i.e, the positions you would most like to achieve.

4)once you find a fantasy position that makes you happy, you must figure out if you can reach it. if you find that your choice was not possible to implement, you must create another dream position that is easier to achieve.

5)only now do you look at the moves you wish to calculate (called candidate moves). The candidate moves are all the moves that lead to our dream position.
  8. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 May '07 21:46
    "How to choose a chess move" is very good, IMHO. It's very practical, e.g. discussing when to calculate and when you don't need to. Also very revealing about how GMs really go about assessing the position, often breaking the supposed rule about not jumping back and forth.

I also have the Kotov book that was recommended by diskamyl - presumably he/she wasn't recommending this as a book you can read without a chess set to hand (the original point of the thread) - it's certainly not that - but only to answer Basso's question about books on assessing a position. It's very hard going. I'm sure it rewards those who put the effort in to really work through it, but personally I found I didn't have the discipline for it. The Soltis book is much more accessible. I would go for that first and if you find it a bit lightweight, or you fancy a bigger challenge, maybe progress to Kotov.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:10
    Originally posted by d36366
    I also have the Kotov book that was recommended by diskamyl - presumably he/she wasn't recommending this as a book you can read without a chess set to hand (the original point of the thread) - it's certainly not that - but only to answer Basso's question about books on assessing a position.
    certainly right, I wasn't responding to the original thread. kotov's book is probably one of the books out there where you need the chess set most.
  10. 19th hole
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:19
    Originally posted by zebano
    Pandolfini's endgame course.
    Yeah that is a nice book, it helped me with my endgame and pawn structure a lot.
  11. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:48
    Are we talking about the same book?? Pandolfinis endgame course has nothing to do with pawn structure.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:50
    Catch 22
  13. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:591 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Catch 22
    You got there before me!

Edit: Duly recc'd.
  14. 19th hole
    Moves
    18 May '07 01:32
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    Are we talking about the same book?? Pandolfinis endgame course has nothing to do with pawn structure.
    Sorry I said that wrong, I meant pawn endgames.
  15. in the dungeon
    Moves
    18 May '07 04:44
    i sorta like books

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree