1. Boston, MA
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 01:54
    Hello all

I'm putting some feelers out to gauge interest in a possible meetup in the Boston area.

The only meetups I've heard about have happened across the pond, as it were, so if I'm not mistaken this could be the first ever meetup on American soil. But alas, America is a big place, so that probably precludes about 80% of those who live here.

Anywho, this wouldn't just be a meetup for meetup's sake, this would be for charity.

The first ever Kaaos Cup.

Now, this project is still in extreme infancy, so things like dates and specific locations are as of yet TBD. I'm shooting for the first week of June, but again, nothing is carved in stone.

My first question to all of you is: Who would be interested in participating in something like this?

Some preliminary ideas that I'm tossing around:

1) Entrace "fee" or "donation."
    shooting for something reasonable, like $10 per person

2) Prizes
    Really secondary to the cause, but a friend of mine works for a trophy maker, so I would have some trophies made. This of course would be out of my pocket, as all of the porceeds are going to the charity.

3) Event
    Still evaluating this one. Most likely some blitz tournaments, perhaps a longer time control knockout style one

4) Location
    Have a few ideas, a library in Providence, there are numerous VFW/Legion Halls/Bars around my area that I can try to secure. I'm putting a message into the director of the Boylston Chess Club, to see if that would be a possibility.

More to come as events unfold.

If you are interested, please reply to this post. Obviously, if you are interested in donating but cannot participate, that can be arranged as well. If you know any, or are a, wealthy philanthropist who wants to make a sizeable donation, that would be welcome 😉 . Please pass this information along to anyone who you think would be interested.

Information on the charity can be found here: http://www.alzinfo.org/
  2. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 02:20
    Originally posted by Kaaosaste
    Hello all

I'm putting some feelers out to gauge interest in a possible meetup in the Boston area.

The only meetups I've heard about have happened across the pond, as it were, so if I'm not mistaken this could be the first ever meetup on American soil. But alas, America is a big place, so that probably precludes about 80% of those who live here.
    ...[text shortened]... erested.

I hope this does well.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 12:46
    Hello all

I am interested!
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 16:47
    Hello all

5 hours away, but would be interested if I can get enough advance notice and don't have any conflicts.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    5 hours away, but would be interested if I can get enough advance notice and don't have any conflicts.
    Somehow, I don't see how that's possible.
  6. Maryland, US
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 22:40
    I'd like to play. I don't drive but I can always take the bus from Maryland.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 00:10
    Rec'd. I live in FL, and June is a busy month in my business, but this is an awesome idea. Good show!
  8. Boston, MA
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 01:11
    Glad to see there is some interest.

I wish I had an update, but nothing to report so far. I've not heard back from any of the clubs that I've contacted.

I will be sure to keep you posted.

If anyone that is interested in attending would like to be added to an email list from which I will send out update, please message me your email address and I'll add you to it.

Thanks again everyone.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 04:49
    I live in nyc so this is possible but of course I would need to know the final details. Boston is cool - but after that maybe the big apple?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 04:302 edits
    Have it at a Bar in Boston close to the airport and close to motel/hotels.

Edit: Make sure women are going.

Edit 2: Make sure hot women are going.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 18:42
    Originally posted by Tactics and Endgames
    Have it at a Bar in Boston close to the airport and close to motel/hotels.

Edit: Make sure women are going.

Edit 2: Make sure hot women are going.
    Uh huh. Yup. And the only problem is that the chances of HOT women showing up at a chess meetup are about as likely as a flock of Madagascar monkey's flying out of my arsehole within the next 5 minutes.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 18:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 18:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well it has only been 1 minute so there is still a chance. Let us pray.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 18:52
    Originally posted by Tactics and Endgames
    Well it has only been 1 minute so there is still a chance. Let us pray.
    Oh wow .... it just happened. Huh. That was weird. Oh well I guess you were correct.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 18:54
    😏 can't wait to see the hotties at the meet up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree