Bravery In Chess

Bravery In Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
If I knew somebody was going to play c3 all the time, I would play 1...e5 instead of c5
There should be some sort of rule where people are FORCED to reveal their openings before the game.

One thing I sometimes do when I play an opponent who plays an opening I dont like much is tell them before the game that I have a good new system against the ...[text shortened]... n makes them change to their backup opening and saves me the bother of playing their good lines.
Your inability to play against 2.c3 is not sufficient reason to imply new rules 🙂

And after 1...e5 be ready for 2.Bc4 - I know - you would like it 😉

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

Black gives himself a weak d pawn to try and land a cheap shot - these things almost always go wrong for black, I am surprised that grands even bother to provoke complications in an inferior position.
Its very easy to criticize GMs after the game. Do you think you would play better for black?

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Actually - the guco piano is the reason I took up the sicillian in the first place...

I think there is only one thing for it - I am going to have to learn the french defence - I sometimes play it agaisnt blackmar dimer gambit players and alsmot learned it properly when I changed my openings a few years ago, the only thing is it can be a little too defensive and I dont want people to think of me as not a brave player.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by Korch
Its very easy to criticize GMs after the game. Do you think you would play better for black?
Well, so far in this thread I am the only one who has posted a win for black in this opening so maybe I could....
I once (almost) got a draw with an IM with this system too, he just caught me out in the endgame - so pretty good, yes?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

Actually - the guco piano is the reason I took up the sicillian in the first place...

I think there is only one thing for it - I am going to have to learn the french defence - I sometimes play it agaisnt blackmar dimer gambit players and alsmot learned it properly when I changed my openings a few years ago, the only thing is it can be a little too defensive and I dont want people to think of me as not a brave player.
Don`t worry - 2.d3 and 2.Qe2 is awaiting for your French 😀

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Don`t worry - 2.d3 and 2.Qe2 is awaiting for your French 😀
d3 would be fine for me as I am starting to dabble with the kings indian attack lately and it would give me a good perspective on the black side of things.
Qe2 I dont know much about at all - did you just make it up on the spot to confuse me or is it a genuine line?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

Well, so far in this thread I am the only one who has posted a win for black in this opening so maybe I could....
I once (almost) got a draw with an IM with this system too, he just caught me out in the endgame - so pretty good, yes?

[pgn][Event "Clan challenge"]
[Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
[Date "2007.10.11"]
[EndDate "2007.12.12"]
. Kg2f2 Kg4h3 60. Kf2f3 Kh3h2 61. Kf3f2 g6
62. Kf2f3 Kh2g1 0-1[/pgn]
Actually your opponent is obviously weaker than you. "Almost got a draw" and "lost" seems to be the same 😛

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08
2 edits

d3 would be fine for me as I am starting to dabble with the kings indian attack lately and it would give me a good perspective on the black side of things.
Qe2 I dont know much about at all - did you just make it up on the spot to confuse me or is it a genuine line?
2.Qe2 is invention of Chigorin. It leads to similar Kings Indian attack positions like 2.d3. I definitely will not have problems to play it against you 🙂

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

2.Qe2 is invention of Chigorin. It leads to similar Kings Indian attack positions like 2.d3
What is the point of it? So you can stop black from playing d5 so early? Or to allow white to maintain the tension in the centre without black swapping off pawns and then queens along the d file?

Can black not try soemthing annoying like Nc6- d4?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

What is the point of it? So you can stop black from playing d5 so early? Or to allow white to maintain the tension in the centre without black swapping off pawns and then queens along the d file?

Can black not try soemthing annoying like Nc6- d4?
It stops black from playing early d5. Queen on e2 tend to be useful in Kings Indian attack. After Nc6 white will play c3 (which they would play anyway).

s

Moves
11 Jul 08

2.Qe2 is invention of Chigorin. It leads to similar Kings Indian attack positions like 2.d3. I definitely will not have problems to play it against you 🙂
Unfortunately you can't play Bc4 after 1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 e5! . 😉

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

grrrr. c3 again. Still - it server more of a practical purpose in these positions so I can tollerate it here.

R

Moves
11 Jul 08

[pgn][Event "Clan challenge"]
[Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
[Date "2007.10.11"]
[EndDate "2007.12.12"]
...[text shortened]... . Kg2f2 Kg4h3 60. Kf2f3 Kh3h2 61. Kf3f2 g6
62. Kf2f3 Kh2g1 0-1[/pgn]
No doubt, getting "almost a draw" against an IM and beating a 1900 is pretty good. Quite far from successful defending vs Moro though 😀 😀 😀 😀

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by schakuhr
Unfortunately you can't play Bc4 after 1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 e5! . 😉
3.f4!

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Rizhanin
No doubt, getting "almost a draw" against an IM and beating a 1900 is pretty good. Quite far from successful defending vs Moro though 😀 😀 😀 😀
If I played him, I might get lucky and he would just play something completely random to smash me quickly and maybe blunder ( for a 2700 he is a bit less consistant then some of the other top players)

I went to university with an international master who said out of all the 2700s he would most fancy his chances of winning a game against morozovich