Bravery In Chess

Bravery In Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by Korch
It stops black from playing early d5. Queen on e2 tend to be useful in Kings Indian attack. After Nc6 white will play c3 (which they would play anyway).
This must be what you meen by "d3 after Nc6"? Here I can find no study that recommends c3 as "better" or even as "equal" to continuing the fianchetto, or Nf3. Does some material exist? Personally I don't think the results from this position justify 2. Qe2 and in that I must say stating that you feel comfortable playing against another player in this, you just feel subsequently stronger overall.
1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 c5 3. g3 Nc6

French Symmetrical "like":
1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 d5 3. d3
Obviously not bad for either player, and gets away from dirty c3.

Exchange:
1. e4 e6 2. Qe2 d5 3. exd5 Qxd5 4. Nc3 Qa5 5. Nf3
Here there isn't much theory, white obviously is ahead in development. Black will have counter play on the d file and of course his kingside pawn superiority isn't ill advised.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by Nowakowski
This must be what you meen by "d3 after Nc6"? Here I can find no study that recommends c3 as "better" or even as "equal" to continuing the fianchetto, or Nf3. Does some material exist? Personally I don't think the results from this position justify 2. Qe2 and in that I must say stating that you feel comfortable playing against another player in this, ...[text shortened]... ter play on the d file and of course his kingside pawn superiority isn't ill advised.
If you would understand something from Kings Indian attack then you would know that c3 is important for not to let control d4.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
11 Jul 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Korch
If you would understand something from Kings Indian attack then you would know that c3 is important for not to let control d4.
sorry i missed that you were trying to transpose into KIA, thought we were continuing in Chigorin. Where, this move is not hailed as "typical".

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
12 Jul 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
Yes, the exchange slav needs fairly passive play by black to slowly equalise - I have done most of my losing in that opening already for my lifetime, but I also find that white cannot have things all his own way - if he wants to play for a win then it is a poor choice as black can often draw with accurate play.

Not a brave opening though - I be ...[text shortened]... ayers who are aspiring to be brave, it is possible to give a good game with a little creativity.
I stronly disagree THex! Slav/ Semi-Slav is very resilient defence to QG, the opening is constntly played on GM level and many lines are hair-raising; there are extremely strong players out there who make an up-to-the-minute preparation and are able to offer you anytime a Greek gift and burn you to the grownd. From Polugaevsky and Torre to Veingold and Fridman once you see a Slav you know there will be blood;

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
12 Jul 08

Yes, I have had it be my blood too in the semi slav especially - it is quite an active game. The exchange tends not to be qutie so much - white relies on his extra tempo for a very long time into the game and black has to just wait until the chance to catch up comes, unless he wants to be a little hyperactive and risk losing.