Bravery In Chess

Bravery In Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex

Here is one of my slow positional games (as black) - but you can probably appreciate it was not especially fun to play and does not look spectacular in the forums it is just a win, nothing more.

[pgn][Event "Clan challenge"]
[Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
[Date "2007.10.11"]
[EndDate "2007.12.12"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Hans Rudel"]
[B Kg2f2 Kg4h3 60. Kf2f3 Kh3h2 61. Kf3f2 g6
62. Kf2f3 Kh2g1 0-1[/pgn]
So as that was an almost Winawer French transposition... I take it you don't like openings such as French Defense, QID, London System, New York System, Reti Hypermodern/New York, Benoni, Closed Sicilian, Symmetrical English, Caro-Kann, Slav/Semi-Slav, Closed Ruy Lopez? Or do you feel that some of these are part of that attacking mentality? I'm confused as to what you define as a brave opening, and one which is not brave. Esepcially when most "Sharp" lines are typically open. Perhaps we all need to play the Kings Gambit?

Is this accurate then? It seems to me as though from what I'm reading, is that you like to play tactically, and perhaps positional, slower building games arn't your cup of tea? Why not just study strategy for awhile untill you feel you have such a strong understanding that it becomes fun. Seems as though this type of chess is most present at very high levels, and must be welcomed for progress.

P.S. I don't mean to aggravate you or irritate you in anyway. It just seems that your opposition (Korch) feels the same way as I do, and I think you need to clarify for our combative natures!

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

I just want my opponent to try and beat me - not be a judas and spend all his efforts in preventing me from developing properly (or at all) at the cost of his own initiative.
It is fair enough a gambit player trying to stop you developing - you have been brave enough to take their material and it is their turn to try and beat you - but for a normal opening when someone just prevents you from doing anything without really doing much themselves, simply waiting for an opportunity to present itself, this is low class chess and is not the English way.

I dont mind most of those openings you have mentioned as I have my own systems against them - I have disliked them in the past but have overcome that adversity, although some of the d4 openings can be a bit drawish which can be annoying.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

I just want my opponent to try and beat me - not be a judas and spend all his efforts in preventing me from developing properly (or at all) at the cost of his own initiative.
It is fair enough a gambit player trying to stop you developing - you have been brave enough to take their material and it is their turn to try and beat you - but for a norm ...[text shortened]... ome that adversity, although some of the d4 openings can be a bit drawish which can be annoying.
This doesn't seem to answer the question from above.
Can you elaborate? You meen that using the initiative itself to stop your development seems Cowardly? It would seem to me, as the peak of strategy. Stop your opponent from moving into a correct formation for battle, so as to grind his forces. This sounds like the last three to six hundred years of theory in warfare.

Once again... Elaborate? I feel your definitions are disconnected from my understanding of what you MEAN.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Well, the bottom line is - c3 sicillian players should stop being such lazy pussies and learn to play the main lines.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by black beetle
Well TONY when I tried to avoid some well troden KIDs against you, you prefered immediately to simplify! And now we are both skin and bones gazing towards the great unknown!
Actually I played the opening horribly in that game! Instead of looking it up, I thought I remembered the line correctly, but didn't! Of course, instead of ...d6, then ...d5, I should play ...0-0 and ...d5 (obviously). Instead I was a tempo down on a normal line and had to claw my way to where we are now.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
11 Jul 08

Well, the bottom line is - c3 sicillian players should stop being such lazy pussies and learn to play the main lines.
Preach on brother. 😀

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Yes, we will teach that Korch a lesson.

I also have some additional material - a quote from a top player on this site (one who has been over 2300) which says

"C3 is very solid so there is no way to 'beat' it but after a simple Nf6 black does not have any problems, I equalized easily against Korch and if you analyse the games played on top level (search Tiviakov with white) black more then holds his own."

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

Yes, the exchange slav needs fairly passive play by black to slowly equalise - I have done most of my losing in that opening already for my lifetime, but I also find that white cannot have things all his own way - if he wants to play for a win then it is a poor choice as black can often draw with accurate play.

Not a brave opening though - I be ...[text shortened]... ayers who are aspiring to be brave, it is possible to give a good game with a little creativity.
Exchange Slav is used by Morozevitch - one of the most creative top GMs. and he has good results in it which makes doubtful your statement about "poor choice to play fir win" Here is one example - Morozevich beats Grischuk in 27 moves.

Also if you have problems to understand - I don`t classify openings by such stupid criteria as "brave" and "not brave". For me openings are "giving good results" and "giving bad results".

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Well that is grischuks problem is if wants to put a piece into a pin like that - he was too aggressive for his own good.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

It is fair enough a gambit player trying to stop you developing - you have been brave enough to take their material and it is their turn to try and beat you - but for a norm ...[text shortened]... ome that adversity, although some of the d4 openings can be a bit drawish which can be annoying.
How cant you understand that your opponents don`t care what you want? They care to make the most unpleasant circumstances for you to beat you.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

Well that is grischuks problem is if wants to put a piece into a pin like that - he was too aggressive for his own good.
Need more examples? No problem 🙂

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08

Some open Sicilian players should learn good manners and to play against 2.c3 Sicilian.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by Korch
Need more examples? No problem 🙂
[pgn]
[Event "Bosnia Sarajevo Tournament"]
[Site "0:07:33-0:00:33"]
[Date "2008.05.30"]
[EventDate "2008.05.23"]
[Round "7"]
[Result "1-0"]
[White "Alexander Morozevich"]
[Black "Borki Predojevic"]
[ECO "D10"]
[WhiteElo "2774"]
[BlackElo "2645"]
[PlyCount "87"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.cxd5 cxd5 4.Nc3 Nf6 5.Bf4 Qb6 6. ...[text shortened]... Re5
40.Kg1 Ng4 41.Rxg4 hxg4 42.Re1 f6 43.Rxe5 fxe5 44.Qc8+ 1-0
[/pgn]
Black gives himself a weak d pawn to try and land a cheap shot - these things almost always go wrong for black, I am surprised that grands even bother to provoke complications in an inferior position.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
11 Jul 08

Originally posted by Korch
Some open Sicilian players should learn good manners and to play against 2.c3 Sicilian.
If I knew somebody was going to play c3 all the time, I would play 1...e5 instead of c5
There should be some sort of rule where people are FORCED to reveal their openings before the game.

One thing I sometimes do when I play an opponent who plays an opening I dont like much is tell them before the game that I have a good new system against their opening now - that quite often makes them change to their backup opening and saves me the bother of playing their good lines.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 Jul 08
1 edit

Yes, we will teach that Korch a lesson.

I also have some additional material - a quote from a top player on this site (one who has been over 2300) which says

"C3 is very solid so there is no way to 'beat' it but after a simple Nf6 black does not have any problems, I equalized easily against Korch and if you analyse the games played on top level (search Tiviakov with white) black more then holds his own."
You are obviously too ignorant to teach something.

About that quote - which that game was? If it was game with Tebb then it was 2...g6 line in which I made some opening experiment. And opening advantage is not too important to me if I reach positions which I like to play.

And Tiviakov would not use 2.c3 if it would not bring him good results.

Also Kasparov in his latest book "Revolution in the 70s" evaluated 2.c3 Sicilian as practical weapon which brings good results. on of the reasons is that black tend to underrate this system and starts feeling too safe.