1. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    06 May '07 21:11
    When is it a good idea to break your castle defense? I normally won't break it open until the bishops and queen are gone. By breaking the castle defense, I mean moving the f and g pawns. Sometimes I move the h pawn to threaten a minor piece.
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 May '07 22:05
    Originally posted by slappy115
    When is it a good idea to break your castle defense? I normally won't break it open until the bishops and queen are gone. By breaking the castle defense, I mean moving the f and g pawns. Sometimes I move the h pawn to threaten a minor piece.
    I have been known to move the g-pawn as early as move 2 (move 1 if playing black against e4), before I castle. Then I am intending to stick a bishop on g2 (or g7) so not such a weakening move. The f-pawn often goes to f4 whether I have castled or not.
  3. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    06 May '07 22:25
    Originally posted by Kepler
    I have been known to move the g-pawn as early as move 2 (move 1 if playing black against e4), before I castle. Then I am intending to stick a bishop on g2 (or g7) so not such a weakening move. The f-pawn often goes to f4 whether I have castled or not.
    You mean like setting up a King's Indian Defense?
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 May '07 22:33
    In the Dutch you move the pawn 1...f5 then quite often 2...g6 next move to fianchetto & castle KS.
  5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 May '07 22:38
    You mean like setting up a King's Indian Defense?
    or a King's Indian Attack or a Reti or an English. Sicilians often involve g6 as black (e.g. Dragon) or f4 as white (Grand Prix, Levenfish). There are lots of other variations where the f and g pawns get moved.
  6. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    07 May '07 00:48
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    In the Dutch you move the pawn 1...f5 then quite often 2...g6 next move to fianchetto & castle KS.
    I've played the Dutch a couple times. I kind of like it as black.
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 May '07 01:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    07 May '07 10:05
    I forget who said it, but... "in order to attack, you need open lines." Often the c and f pawns are the only way to break open the center, or open a file for the rooks. For some reason I like moving the f pawn, its like saying here I come, punish my audacity if you can!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree