1. Lagos
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 23:291 edit
    Hi all. Been studying tactics a lot lately. Winning Chess by Reinfeld and Chernev and Winning Chess Tactics by y'all know who. I think it has helped me a lot. I just finished this game and its probably the best one I've played...in my life, yeah. I now second that opinion that weak players should study tactics, exclusively.

The game's just below and only 17 moves so it wont take you too long to analyse.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the pleasure of checkmating him but the final position was just...BRISTLING WITH TACTICS anyway you look at it. He'd have suffered decisive material loss to stave off mate.Sorry for borrowing your phrase greenpawn. I feel soooo elated.

Please offer your analysis, people. Dont be too polite to burst my bubble. Thanks.
  2. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 00:40
    Sorry to shatter your dream, but in the final position you're actually losing!

ok you have the nice double threat Qxh7 and Nxf7 Rxf7 Qxd8...but the simple Bf5 parries both threats!

you missed a clear advantage on move 12 : Qd2 or Qe1 attacking both knights. then after Nb3 Qxc3 Nxa1 Qxa1 you have won his 2 knghts (which were his only developped pieces) against your rook.
    your move 12.Qc2 gives you some attack though, so it's not that bad. your losing move seems to be 14.Qe4?
    14.Ng5 instead looks interesting, since the knight can't be chased easily (f6? Bg8!! wins!) but then it's hard to tell if your attack is worth the pawns

also in the opening i don't like your move 9.a3
    you're playing a gambit so every tempo is important! why waste a move to force him to play a move that he want's to play anyway?
    his bishop isn't doing much on b4 anymore now that the knight isn't pinned...Why not play an active move instead of a3? for example 9.Bg5 threatening Nd5 looks strong.
    Now he has to play Bxc3 and he won't even be able to take the e4 pawn (Bxc3 bxc3 h6 Bh4 g5? Nxg5! looks like a winning sacrifice!)
    Following the same logic, you can also play 9.Nd5 immediately, so he won't be able to exchange his b4 bishop and you might get a dangerous kingside attack.
  3. e4
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 01:59
    Interesting and fun looking game - Shorbuck has supplied what looks
    like good analysis. (Please use the fen diagrams it makes explanations very simple
    to do and all players can follow easily what you say).

Black has resigned in a won position. (Black to play)

(17...Bf5! Who is going to tell him?).

Keep hacking and attacking and remember that is one you owe the
    goddess of Chess, so don't get too upset when you lose a won a game.

What goes around, comes around - you can use that phrase as well.
  4. Lagos
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 04:032 edits
    Oh my goodness. I feel so embarrassed. Thanks guys. How do I go about deleting this thread!!

I guess I didn't read those tactics books well enough after all.

Oi you know what I'm going to get that bristling with tactics game very soon and post it up here.

This is a real dampner as I actually have a OTB tourney tomorrow. Now I dont feel like going anymore
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 05:50
    The nice thing about chess is that your opponent is the only one who will need to refute all your silly ideas, not the big all-knowing crowd... often he fails miserably. 🙂
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 06:092 edits
    after Bf5 what about Nxf7+?

EDIT : ok no it's stupid.
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 07:311 edit
    On move 13 you should have played bxh7!?(classic)

then at worst you pick up the knight on c3 with tempo. You might even be able to play n-g5...But, my calculator is broken at the moment and I am not at a board. I will try and see if I can figure it out though.

Oh and sorry greenpawn but I can not post a board(I am at work and it won't allow me too)

Edit:n-g5 looks right. When I get home in the morning I might be able to post up some analysis(or maybe someone else can look at it)
  8. e4
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 09:54
    Originally posted by Goshen
    Oh my goodness. I feel so embarrassed. Thanks guys. How do I go about deleting this thread!!

I guess I didn't read those tactics books well enough after all.

Oi you know what I'm going to get that bristling with tactics game very soon and post it up here.

This is a real dampner as I actually have a OTB tourney tomorrow. Now I dont feel like going anymore
    Don't be down hearted - you won - you have 'attackers luck'.

Attack them and let your opponent see the threats that don't exist.
    At the lower levels players find defending correctly very difficult.

Good Luck.
  9. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 10:031 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Don't be down hearted - you won - you have 'attackers luck'.

Attack them and let your opponent see the threats that don't exist.
    At the lower levels players find defending correctly very difficult.

Good Luck.
    yup, the defender has to find the best move. Which can be very hard for the defender as there tend to be more options for him. As the attacker the moves are more natural.

Look over the suggestions and ENJOY and LEARN from them. Go to your tournament tommorow and HAVE FUN. If you use an attack that wasn't "correct" and lose then learn from it. Enjoy the fact that you took a chance lost and LEARNED something new. If you end up winning (with that "losing move)anyway then look over the game and look at how they should have defended against your attack(that way you not only improve your attacking but also defense).

As an aside, improving your defense improves your attacks and improving your attacks improves your defense. If you can see the defensive resources your opponent has then that helps show you how to proceed in your attack sometimes(or when you shouldn't be attacking in some sad cases lol)
  10. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 10:251 edit
    I think this is another nice thing that could have been played:

4.Nxe5 Nxe5 5.d4

what do you think about this kind of moves?
  11. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 10:26
    Originally posted by orion25
    I think this is another nice thing that could have been played:

5.Nxe5 Nxe5 6.d4

what do you think about this kind of moves? I've read this in a book but havent understood the advantage very well
    I'm not sure if that is possible here, (6. ... Nxc4)
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 10:37
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I'm not sure if that is possible here, (6. ... Nxc4)
    correct the bishop hangs...
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 11:20
    If BF5 why not Nxf7+ ?
  14. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 11:32
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    If BF5 why not Nxf7+ ?
    the rook on a8 protects the queen
  15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 12:19
    Originally posted by erikido
    the rook on a8 protects the queen
    Oh, yeah duh. Because the bishop was moved out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree