1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 23:12
    I used to play the 3...Ng4 line, probably played around thirty serious games with it in all, and the problem I had was that in too many games White managed to swap off a few pieces leaving him with a small, but undeniable, advantage.

If you want to live dangerously learn the Englund Gambit - 1.d4 e5! It's terrible, but there's just one spectacularly winning line for Black which may occur once every ten games and makes the nine previous losses worthwhile!
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 23:17
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Whether according to current theory and best play the opening will give good results.
    Defining what is "sound" by appealling to "current theory" is a circular argument. Openings don't generally win or lose games in and of themselves below the GM level (if there). If an opening gets you a playable game in the main variations, I'd say it's sound. Since the Budapest does so, even if there may be a slight advantage to White in theory, I'd say it is sound.
  3. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 10:37
    Any small advantage white may get from the BloodyPest, (or any other opening considered a bit unsound in theory), at most levels of play, is offset by the fact that Black is likely to be much more familiar with the sort of positions which will occur.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree