Budapest Gambit

Budapest Gambit

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
24 Apr 06

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4
Any thoughts? Looks pretty sharp for black to me. I am contemplating playing it to supplement indians.

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by prosoccer
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4
Any thoughts? Looks pretty sharp for black to me. I am contemplating playing it to supplement indians.
Pretty sound, little known next to main lines, a good opening to use on and off but wouldnt make it your main line. More of an OTB opening than corry too.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by Bedlam
Pretty sound, little known next to main lines, a good opening to use on and off but wouldnt make it your main line. More of an OTB opening than corry too.
I'd say it's far from sound. After 4. Bf4 black scores horribly (32% ). Useful for blitz, perhaps occasionally in classical but never in correspondence unless you like losing.

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
I'd say it's far from sound. After 4. Bf4 black scores horribly (32% ). Useful for blitz, perhaps occasionally in classical but never in correspondence unless you like losing.
Id say its sound for OTB club level. A lot of openings are unsound at GM or Super GM level. Fajarowicz varition might be pushing its club level soundness, at least at the higher levels (in light of 4.a3), but I wouldnt consider myself with a won game as white if I was facing the normal lines.

Moves
24 Apr 06

The trouble with databases they are full of Master games which arent always relevent to club level, still 32% (win rate for black?) doesnt seem too bad.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Apr 06

I know the numbers, but I use it as my main line against d4 in OTB tourneys (got a very funny look from a Class A) and have started using it here. The best thing about it from my perspective is that it pretty much forces an immediate open game which d4 players are generally trying to avoid, at least early on. And like any opening if you're used to it you have a feel for the middle game positions that arise from it. White almost always returns the pawn and has some spatial advantage but Black can generally obtain a perfectly reasonable position. No, I won't beat Topalov with it, but I still like it.

SS

Moves
25 Apr 06

dsR

Big D

Moves
25 Apr 06

The Budapest is a fun opening to play, especially against lower-rated players. Even against your peers, there are plenty of opportunities to "wing it" and take them out of their book. It promises unbalanced positions, which are much easier for your opponents to go astray in which is the reason why I’ve primarily been playing the Chigorin Defense with Black. Like the Budapest, the Chigorin is not considered completely sound either, but I’ve had satisfying results with it. When I get tired of playing the Mighty Chigorin, I intend on taking up the Budapest for the same reason. The opening you play depends on your temperament. If you want to win with Black, you will have to take some risks.

FL

Moves
25 Apr 06
1 edit

3....Ne4 is more fun. A friend of mine beat at IM in six moves in a serious game with this opening!

dsR

Big D

Moves
25 Apr 06

This is the first example of a Budapest Gambit played in a master tournament. After I played through it, I was hooked:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119780

Moves
25 Apr 06

Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
This is the first example of a Budapest Gambit played in a master tournament. After I played through it, I was hooked:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119780
beautiful

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
25 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Bedlam
The trouble with databases they are full of Master games which arent always relevent to club level, still 32% (win rate for black?) doesnt seem too bad.
32% is black's score not win rate. All draws would be 50%.

As for soundness, an opening isn't sound at a particular level it's sound in general. Playable is not the same as sound.

Moves
25 Apr 06

As for soundness, an opening isn't sound at a particular level it's sound in general. Playable is not the same as sound.
Ahh the truth of the position, yes I will admit that the Budapest is probably a bit unsound if you look at it that way.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Apr 06

I'd be interested in your definition of "sound".

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
25 Apr 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'd be interested in your definition of "sound".
Whether according to current theory and best play the opening will give good results.