1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 00:47
    Why do people keep talking about showing up at a tournament with a set? Surely you are not so behind the times in america that the players have to provide their own sets?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 00:49
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Why do people keep talking about showing up at a tournament with a set? Surely you are not so behind the times in america that the players have to provide their own sets?
    Uhhhhh, well, yeah. What other way is there?
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 01:211 edit
    Well, the smaller club tournaments don't require bringing a set, but for big tournaments with 750 players, like the North American Open, it's unrealistic to expect them to have all the supplies.

BTW: Yes, they're made of plastic, but they still look great. Here's a picture: http://www.houseofstaunton.net/webpics/collector40f.jpg
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 02:131 edit
    I just read that FIDE recommends pieces with a king height of 3.74 in and mine is 4.00? Is this so big that it may cause adaptation problems and lead to complaints by the opponent? It's probably fine, but it's better for me to be worried now while I can still cancel it. 🙂

Nevermind, I think I'm fine. According to http://www.chesscentral.com/chess-set-tournament.htm "The King's height should be 3.50 inches to 4.25 inches (or 8.5 to 10.5 cm.), and the diameter of the King's base should measure 40% to 50% of its height. "
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 02:31
    and clocks.
    🙁
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 15:44
    Clocks as well?!
    That is a bit harsh. In England I have never been to an event where I was required to bring my own sets (unless I was the organiser, but the sets there belonged to a club rather then me personally) they are always waiting for you when you get there.
  7. Dublin
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 16:21
    In England I have never been to an event where I was required to bring my own sets (unless I was the organiser, but the sets there belonged to a club rather then me personally) they are always waiting for you when you get there.
    The top section (2000+) of most Irish tournaments would provide sets and clocks but the lower sections would not. Big tournaments would have 200-300 players in total so it wouldn't be feasible to provide that many sets and clocks.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 16:341 edit
    Clocks as well?!
    That is a bit harsh. In England I have never been to an event where I was required to bring my own sets (unless I was the organiser, but the sets there belonged to a club rather then me personally) they are always waiting for you when you get there.
    I am surprised too! If every player has to bring his own material, whos set are then used, whites or blacks? They share one set for two players, don't they?

I went to Stockholm Sweden once and played their annual 1000-man tournament (Tusenmanna) and there it was, 500 boards, 500 chess sets, 500 clocks, 250 tables, 1000 chairs, I didn't have to bring anything.

(Btw, It was played in the same place as the Nobel Price dinner is served, a grand experience!)
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 16:42
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I am surprised too! If every player has to bring his own material, whos set are then used, whites or blacks? They share one set for two players, don't they?

I went to Stockholm Sweden once and played their annual 1000-man tournament (Tusenmanna) and there it was, 500 boards, 500 chess sets, 500 clocks, 250 tables, 1000 chairs, I didn't have to bring me ...[text shortened]... Btw, It was played in the same place as the Nobel Price dinner is served, a grand experience!)
    Black has the choice of equipment assuming it's standard.

I don't see what the big deal is; if you're playing in a tournament you certainly must have a set and should have a clock. BTW, I brought a mousepad board after a year or two experience with the vinyls - they tend to not lay flat very well after a few uses.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 16:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Black has the choice of equipment assuming it's standard.

I don't see what the big deal is; if you're playing in a tournament you certainly must have a set and should have a clock. BTW, I brought a mousepad board after a year or two experience with the vinyls - they tend to not lay flat very well after a few uses.
    I've never been at a tournament where the equipment are not already at the tables, ever. I don't even own a chess clock of my own. That's why I am so surprised.

How is it at your clubs? Do you have to bring your own chess sets too?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 16:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I've never been at a tournament where the equipment are not already at the tables, ever. I don't even own a chess clock of my own. That's why I am so surprised.

How is it at your clubs? Do you have to bring your own chess sets too?
    I wish we had a club in my city ............... and it's the capital of New York State!
  12. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    12 Jan '08 07:49
    Clocks as well?!
    Ah, then you've never experienced the phenomenon of the "disappearing game" before, eh? You're at a large tournament, you're playing with your opponents board, pieces and clocks because he arrived first and set them up, and now your opponent has quickly found himself in a hopeless position and has dropped into a big think. So, after about 20 minutes you stand up to stretch your legs, you walk around the hall for a bit, look at the wall chart to see what other quick results have been posted, maybe check out some of the chess books on a display table. Ten minutes later you head back toward your table only to find... nothing! Your opponent has quietly slipped away while you were'nt looking ... board, pieces, clock... vanished. If you're lucky, he's signed the scoresheet you left at the table as the only evidence he was ever there.
  13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    12 Jan '08 08:15
    I wish I lived in a place where sets were provided. I think it's more common in Europe, and even more common as you move up the ranks. Unfortunately the 2000-2200 sections that I play in aren't that prestigious. 😀
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '08 08:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I wish we had a club in my city ............... and it's the capital of New York State!
    there are chess clubs all over New York...I am sure there is one in your city you just haven't found it yet.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 22:171 edit
    Well, I got the tournament board, pieces and case.

The case is roomy enough and feels well-built. No complaints there. The vinyl board however has some slight problems. There are some places with very tiny spots which shouldn't be there and there was a small tear at one corner. However, I have to commend them for their excellent customer service. They are sending me a new board free of charge. The pieces are well-crafted and weighed but some have tiny spots of different colors in some places and the mold lines (sometimes curvy) detract from their appearance. Moreover, three pawns make a ringing noise when moved. I'll try to get replacements. Lastly, they have House of Staunton written in tiny letters on the base of the king. I prefer to have no advertising on the board or pieces. Apart from this, everything is great and their customer service is truly the mark of a good company. Although, I have to admit that I expected not to have to deal with any of these issues.

How are your tournament sets? Do you have mold lines or small spots or ringing noises, etc.?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree