Buying a Tournament Chess Set

Buying a Tournament Chess Set

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
18 Jan 08

Originally posted by exigentsky
Well, I got the tournament set, pieces and case.

The case is roomy enough and feels well-built. No complaints there. The vinyl board however has some slight problems. There are some places with very tiny spots which shouldn't be there and there was a small tear at one corner. However, I have to commend them for their excellent customer service. They ar ...[text shortened]...
How are your tournament sets? Do you have mold lines or small spots or ringing noises, etc.?
My white king has a slight tilt. I ensure when starting a game that he leans to my left. /idiosyncrasy

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
19 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
Why do people keep talking about showing up at a tournament with a set? Surely you are not so behind the times in america that the players have to provide their own sets?
In American tournaments you have to provide your own set. BTW, nobody would be expected to use a "folding board". 🙂

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
19 Jan 08
1 edit

Well, I got the tournament board, pieces and case.

The case is roomy enough and feels well-built. No complaints there. The vinyl board however has some slight problems. There are some places with very tiny spots which shouldn't be there and there was a small tear at one corner. However, I have to commend them for their excellent customer service. They
How are your tournament sets? Do you have mold lines or small spots or ringing noises, etc.?
I've never heard of such bad quality: "Do you have mold lines or small spots or ringing noises, etc.". But one thing I'd bet on is that they guarantee the equipment. I'd suggest you call them and voice your complaints because this is something that you are going to have an intimate relationship with for the rest of your life.

Edit:
Sorry this is too late for you but it might be helpful to others...
I recommend buying a chess set from a tournament. In the US most tournaments have vendors at the site selling equipment. That way you can see what you get and you usually get a good price too!

e

Moves
19 Jan 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Arrakis
I've never heard of such bad quality: "Do you have mold lines or small spots or ringing noises, etc.". But one thing I'd bet on is that they guarantee the equipment. I'd suggest you call them and voice your complaints because this is something that you are going to have an intimate relationship with for the rest of your life.

Edit:
Sorry this is too lat ...[text shortened]... selling equipment. That way you can see what you get and you usually get a good price too!
Well, I did talk to them. They're sending me a new vinyl board and replacing the three pawns that make a ringing noise. They seem very willing to help me resolve these problems.

Unfortunately, the plastic mold lines are unavoidable or so they claim. They're really very tiny and go down the middle of the piece. Although, sometimes there is a very very small piece of extra plastic probably also from the mold. The spots are too very hard to see unless you take the piece to eye level. Moreover, only some pieces have them and it's only one or two spots. Besides this the pieces look very good and are weighted perfectly. I thought this kind of quality problems were common for plastic sets. I guess I will see how others look at my chess-club. These are the pieces: http://houseofstaunton.com/Store/product_name=The+Collector+Series+Plastic+Chess+Set+-+4.0+inch+King/exact_match=exact Yes, for the price I expected nothing less than perfection. No mold lines or hanging plastic or spots or ringing. At least they're willing to fix everything.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
19 Jan 08
1 edit

Well, I did talk to them. They're sending me a new vinyl board and replacing the three pawns that make a ringing noise. They seem very willing to help me resolve these problems.

Unfortunately, the plastic mold lines are unavoidable or so they claim. They're really very tiny and go down the middle of the piece. Although, sometimes there is a very very ld lines or hanging plastic or spots or ringing. At least they're willing to fix everything.
I think $59.00 is way too high. In the past I've bought weighted Staunton tournament sets, pieces and boards for $10 each. Of course that's not the price for the average buyer - I buy 30 complete sets at one time for $300 and I get that price because I have a non-profit status. I buy them for schools where I teach and give chess lessons.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jan 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
there are chess clubs all over New York...I am sure there is one in your city you just haven't found it yet.
I think I know a little bit more about the city I live in than you. There's a "chess club" i.e. a small group of people who meet and play blitz but there's no chess club i.e. a building housing an organization where you can go and play chess on a regular basis if you are a member. There are, of course, several of those in New York City and some in other upstate New York cities (Rochester has one) and they are common in Europe.

F

Moves
19 Jan 08
2 edits

Disregard this posting.